uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaphotog

I want to check out these new findings so bad on my 5d3, but my lack of knowledge in compiling source code...

Great work team!

1%

Yea, you can pull battery, turn off camera etc... it shouldn't be freezing with this size. Just hard to pick the "best" one because difference is 20Mb/s or 29MB/s... funny the CF cameras have double speed pretty much.

squig

There's a lot more usable dynamic range. When I get raw_rec up and running I'll run Samuel's DR test and we'll see how it compares vs the H.264 profiles.

woodybrando

This is amazing! Unfortunately I just sold my 5diii last week cause i pre-ordered the bmcc pocket and switched to m43. Now I may be back in the market for a 5diii before long :)

I was wondering is there any way to run the live view footage through the camera's h.264 encoder? and maybe get more dynamic range and sharper h.264 footage?

Also, I just love that you've unlocked the potential of the 5diii. Canon has become notorious for withholding technology and you guys just broke open the treasure chest they didn't want us to find in their DSLR's!

:)
Jayson

lourenco

Full 1080P test at 24fps.  This time with audio.

vs
I-frame 1080p at 24fps.
Technicolor CineStyle

The camera exposure was the same for both videos.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

ted ramasola

wow... just wow. So raw recording can record now sound? Is it 44khz or 48khz? 
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

noisyboy

Quote from: lourenco on May 13, 2013, 04:46:10 AM
Full 1080P test at 24fps.  This time with audio.

The camera exposure was the same for both videos.

Holy crap dude! That's amazing! So erm... you DO want to swap me your 5D3 for my 6D right? Okay - cool!

1%

coutts

I'm bummed the 5d2 doesn't save MM1 files, so raw dumping doesn't work.

it can do 64MB/s or so write speed with a 1000x card, so it can do the 1080p @ 24fps.. just need to make the raws work.

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 13, 2013, 05:13:39 AM
Probably any CF camera will do well here.

Sweet! Are there limitations which might prevent my fragile old 7D from getting a new lease of life?

1%

ashtrai

I'm really impressed with all of this progress.  Great job guys.
I don't really expect this to work with my trusty old 550D, although you've all surprised us more than once.
Time to scour the market for a 5DM2.

lourenco

Quote from: ted ramasola on May 13, 2013, 04:50:21 AM
wow... just wow. So raw recording can record now sound? Is it 44khz or 48khz?

I added in at post. I used my H4N to record the sound externally.

I am wondering if we could try recording a wav file to the SD card while recording raw video to the CF card. I am wondering what would happen.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

aaphotog

Anyone care to upload the files(autoexec.bin) for the 5D3 and send me a link?
Would be greatly appreciated

aaphotog

stevefal

I'm building and running for 5D3, and have raw2dng.exe. Now, how to try the feature? Can someone explain how to set up and shoot, how to stop, and what feedback (if any) to expect?
Steve Falcon

aaphotog

Lourenco, you are wonderful. Now I can't wait to get home!
And to buy 1,000x card

budafilms

This will change the idea of Cine. You know what I mean. Congrats everybody!

squig

I'm getting continuous 1080p recording with a Lexar 600x CF card. I can actually push it to 1920x1280 and it doesn't appear to be dropping any frames. Is there any kind of alert when it drops frames?

Now all I need is a mac debayer.  :-*

arana05

THIS IS JUSST AMAZING GUYS!
On behalf of all the lurkers out there, thank you congrats.

Is there any chance of somebody sharing a couple of shots with us? I'd like to see how to implement a Cineform RAW workflow (and save 6x space in the HD)

update: Could anybody point me where the donation link is? I've been looking for it, without much success

g3gg0

Quote from: squig on May 13, 2013, 10:25:32 AM
I'm getting continuous 1080p recording with a Lexar 600x CF card. I can actually push it to 1920x1280 and it doesn't appear to be dropping any frames. Is there any kind of alert when it drops frames?

Now all I need is a mac debayer.  :-*

uhm, if you have the latest repository version, you will see the number of dropped frames and the buffer line is highlighted in red.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

Quote from: arana05 on May 13, 2013, 10:39:37 AM
update: Could anybody point me where the donation link is? I've been looking for it, without much success

at the moment it is disabled. we are thinking about re-enabling it, but this is just a discussion yet.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Yoshiyuki Blade

Looks like there's some crazy experiments going on here! These developments aren't trickling to the the nightly builds yet are they? I'll wait (im)patiently to see what my camera lens can show with your software. :)

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas