Canon 5D classic acting funny since adding ML

Started by sanfairyanne, January 30, 2013, 04:48:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanfairyanne

Ok I wouldn't swear by it but I believe I could set manual focus points on my old 5D classic prior to adding ML. Now I can only use the bottom half of my 9 focus points. I've tried different lenses and focusing on varied subjects and distances but still I only have access to 4 of the 9 control points.

I posted this question on a Canon forum and someone suggested that I might try to re-boot my camera. I've got full details on just how to do that but I wondered how it would affect ML if at all.

Thanks

scrax

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

sanfairyanne

Yes, that was the first thing I did and the people on the Canon forum have gone through everything they can think of. It just seems unlikely to me that four points would work while five wouldn't yet all work if set to auto.

It's my belief that ML is solely on the CF card, so if I re-boot the camera I won't affect ML.

Is this true  ?

scrax

Yes, starting without card is the quickest way to be sure that only canon code is running.
Also formatting the card will have the effect of removing ML from the card and make the card not bootable. Removing only ML folder and ml files will hang at boot since the card will still be bootable but with nothing to boot.
Also on ML for 5Dc there is no code that use the focus point so an error in setting focus pattern for example is excluded I suppose.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

sanfairyanne

Ok but there's no need to re-format the card before doing a re-boot of the camera. I mean I can re-boot and try a fresh card that has never had ML see if that works then try the ML card ?

scrax

Quote from: sanfairyanne on January 30, 2013, 06:26:43 AM
Ok but there's no need to re-format the card before doing a re-boot of the camera. I mean I can re-boot and try a fresh card that has never had ML see if that works then try the ML card ?
yes also that with another card (never used for ML so not bootable) without ML is like booting without card.
Important is only to not boot with a bootable card without ML

by the way if you select auto the not selectable points are working?

sanfairyanne

Yes if I select auto all 9 points are working. I'm about to start work but will get on to re-boot as soon as I can access the tiny screwdriver needed to take the watch battery out.
I'll be sure to reply with outcome.