[SOLVED] 600D doesn't turn on at all

Started by Spirik, December 29, 2012, 08:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirik

Hi guys!

I've been flawlessly using ML for about half a year. And then something rather not cool happened, and it may be not the cause of ML firmware at all, but I think there's nothing wrong to ask experts' advice here first!

I have 2 SD cards, both of which have Magic Lantern v.2.3 installed. Once when my first card got full I've decided to replace it with the second one. The second one has minor defects to its plastic body: some of plastic borders between contacts of the card was missing. But that fact never stopped the card from working properly (both in card-readers and in camera itself). But it seems that because of that defects the card can be fitted into SD card slot with the wrong orientation. And that's exactly what happened: being in a hurry I've managed to pull it in wrong-sided. Of course, I've noticed that before trying to take any pictures, but I have to close the card slot door for the transportation of the camera, due to wrongly inserted SD card has stuck in slot. I then took it out. And inserted the first card (which is in perfect condition) - it's inserted easily and firmly, just as it used to, so it seems that there is no visible damage to the card slot. (It is possible that being in a hurry I didn't wait till the light blinked before removing the first card, although, I don't remeber that for sure).

And since then camera won't show any signs of life at all. With fully charged battery, with or without card inserted, with different modes selected with Mode-dial. It just doesn't turn on at all. Even led-light doesn't blinking. And that is all to it.

Can you suggest to me in which direction should I even move to try to find the solution?

Thank you for your time!

1%

Shine a light in the card slot and make sure the pins are straight and nothing is broken. Maybe camera thinks that a card is inserted when its not. Should power up without a card to stock canon software. I've put cards in the wrong way before but they won't go all the way in, if yours did it might have closed a contact, bent the "cage",  or something of that nature.

Spirik

There is no visible damage of card slot whatsoever. But I have news: LED blink test passed (this is the first time I see LED blinking since "death")! Should I try to run Startup logger then?

Spirik

Yay! I've managed to run Startup logger. Here's generated logfile.

UPD: And ROM dump (compressed, ~44MB).

Spirik

I've managed to get camera to operational state by doing fresh install of ML to clean SD-card with EOScard utility. But once I've removed this card from camera it stops turning on (until I insert this card back and remove battery), i.e. camera won't power on without card in slot. I've tried to run update firmware process from Canon menu - it was successful, but nothing changed. I've disabled bootflag (as described in Uninstall section of manual) and formatted card from the camera, cleared settings. Still camera won't boot without sd card inserted.

Spirik

OK, one more update. Now that I've repeated (again) steps described here (under section bad shutdown) camera turned on without SD card. But you can tell about it only looking into viewfinder, lcd screen is off. Screen turns on after some time and only after you try to press the shutter button (until then message "busy" can be seen blinking in viewfinder), but instead of "No Card" message it says that "Card's write protect switch is set to block" (however there is no card in camera at all). And this message remains in Live View.

g3gg0

it sounds like a hardware issue. maybe there is a piece of plastic in the slot etc.
especially as the rom and the properties seem to be okay. (camera booted once)

what model are you talking about?
edit: sorry, topic says it already

will check a disassembled 600D tonight how the mechanics work
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

1%

So looks like 2 things happened.

1. Bad shutdown stuck the camera in "busy" error.
2. You broke the write protect switch checker in the slot?

Spirik

I can see a tiny lever-thingy inside the slot, which is (I guess) responsible for write protection detection (if card's write protection switch is set to protection mode the lever is pressed, otherwise it fits into groove of card's switch and thus is unpressed). All seems completely undamaged. And I can't see any of possible chopped off plastic pieces stuck in there.

And write-protection checker is generally working as it should with car present: I can protect card and it will be shown as protected (without any blinking "busy" sings and delays before turning the screen on), I can take pictures and video with unprotected card (and everything seems working fine in that case, but more field testing required, I guess).

1%

Log looks pretty normal. Try to get a cache hacked log it captures more messages.

Spirik

Quote from: 1% on December 30, 2012, 06:20:42 PMTry to get a cache hacked log it captures more messages.
And where can I get that? ???

1%

Its a debug_intercept(); log.

Here is a 600D bin with it on don't click me. Click it once to start log, another time to stop. Produces DM.log

http://www.fast-files.com/getfile.aspx?file=58534

Spirik

Quote from: 1% on December 31, 2012, 03:46:56 AM
Here is a 600D bin with it on don't click me. Click it once to start log, another time to stop. Produces DM.log
Seems something wrong with upload, throws 404 error when I try to download=(

1%

g3gg0

there are two contacts in the SD card frame.
one for detecting WP switch and one maybe for card presence detection.
this one is on the same side as the WP switch and next to the electrical contacts.

maybe there is some plastic that prevents clean card insertion etc.

else i have no idea what could be the problem.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Spirik

I've run Cache Log (turned it on, took couple of pictures. turned it off), here it is: DM.LOG.

Now that I've had to install ML back to camera (in order to run logger) I've noticed the following thing. The camera with bootflag enabled won't turn on without SD card at all (not even "busy" message can be seen in viewfinder). To turn the camera back on I need to insert the sd card (regardless of having ML on it) and remove/insert battery.

scrax

Quote from: Spirik on January 05, 2013, 07:14:07 PM
I've run Cache Log (turned it on, took couple of pictures. turned it off), here it is: DM.LOG.

Now that I've had to install ML back to camera (in order to run logger) I've noticed the following thing. The camera with bootflag enabled won't turn on without SD card at all (not even "busy" message can be seen in viewfinder). To turn the camera back on I need to insert the sd card (regardless of having ML on it) and remove/insert battery.
I suppose that a switch is not switching card presence, so canon loader get stuck checking if the card is bootable when there is no card.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Spirik

Quote from: scrax on January 05, 2013, 07:17:24 PM
I suppose that a switch is not switching card presence, so canon loader get stuck checking if the card is bootable when there is no card.
Yeah, that seems to be explaining all this behavior pretty much! Although I can't see any visible damage to the switches inside the slot or shreaded pieces of plastic there, it's quite possible that presence detection switch is somehow stuck in the "present" position, now indicating to camera that SD card is in there. Thus it can't boot ML in case of bootflag set to enabled (because it can't check the non-existent card for being bootable, but keeps trying), and thus it won't load lcd screen for some time, waiting for the card to respond (and eventually assigning to it "write-protected" status), in case of bootflag set to disabled.

Thank you guys a lot for help figuring it out!

salmonika

take the memory card off turn the camera on then open the take the battery in and out quickly then the camera will work. and to avoid losing the photos on the camera put your card in the computer and and make a back up on light room after that format the card using the computer and use the full format not quick one and before getting the card back to the camera just go to the camera's setting and reset the camera settings then you can get you card back the camera will function normally and you can re install the ml again by downgrading you 600d firmware

salmonika

fabiancz

Quote from: salmonika on June 04, 2013, 06:04:38 PM
take the memory card off turn the camera on then open the take the battery in and out quickly then the camera will work.

This helped for me! Thanks! :)

mugwump

I was using my 600D when it lost power and is now completely dead. I have tried every combination, battery (which is fully charged) in and out, lens off, SD card out, and there is no sign of life at all.
I did read somewhere about water ingress and it was drizzling at the time but not heavy rain.
Any ideas anyone, preferably not the waste bin!

redtussock

I have had same issue.  Removed SD card with Magiclantern and replaced with blank SD card. Removed battery and reinstalled. turned camera open and fixed.  When I then insert the card with magic lantern camera will not turn on, even with blank card until I remove and battery.