Canon 650D [OLD]

Started by nanomad, November 29, 2012, 12:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

things to clarify:
a) we do this in our spare time and dont allow pressure - thats why even alphas are more stable than any other software
b) we permanently spend all donations for cameras we only use to develop software on, and thus we have no time anymore to shoot any images with them. sigh.
c) there are several other people like you who are asking for things.
d) you are welcome to help.

so please either accept that
a) there is a release when its done
b) not every developer works on every single model
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

laame

Quote from: Galior on April 03, 2013, 01:45:19 PM
I checked log files here http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/archive/  and I see Nanomad and a1ex works under old models each day and only one day per week under our EOS 650d  !!!! Very Nice !
They said they have not time.....  I do not sure.
Are you waiting ML for 650D  ??? Only after EOS 800D in 3 years. Check log files of the job 650D.
I bet they are doing something for 650D every day, like trying to figure out what causes problems or reviewing pre-alpha testers feedback.
Probably they just write and update code once in a while, when there is something worthwhile to open the project and work on it.
As far as I know doing some minor editing on such a massive project is a waste of time when you have to go through a pile of lines of code. You do that when there is more than one minor edit nessesary.

jimmyD30

g3gg0, thanks for the info and all your and others hard work.

RE: d) you are welcome to help.

I am programmer for 25 yrs with some time on my hands, how can I help?

loplo

I checked log files here http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/archive/  and I see Nanomad and a1ex works under old models each day and only one day per week under our EOS 650d  !!!! Very Nice !
Are you waiting ML for 650D  ??? Only after EOS 800D in 3 years. Check log files of the job 650D.

Some cameras are have a final release and the code needs maintenance, while the new cameras are sometimes a game of hide and seek in the dark.
If you don't have patience, why don't you get a 5D mark II.
Two posts and already flaming.
Get a life dude.

Beardymadness

Support programmers! They are doing something that makes your photographic life much easier and releasing it for free. How can you argue with that? Thx to nanomad and all. Keep it up!

g3gg0

side note:
with this post i didnt want to beg for "thanks".
it was meant to make people understand the position of developers.
we continue it the way we are doing for years now.
enjoy our work, trying to improve ML and release new versions that are free for everyone from time to time.
thats the deal ;)

Quote from: jimmyD30 on April 03, 2013, 02:18:59 PM
I am programmer for 25 yrs with some time on my hands, how can I help?

do you know C, do you know/understand asm, do you know embedded systems and what kind of programming do you do?
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

jimmyD30

Quote from: g3gg0 on April 03, 2013, 03:54:04 PM

do you know C, do you know/understand asm, do you know embedded systems and what kind of programming do you do?

Hey g3gg0, I know java, c, c++, and objective-c. I do not know asm or embedded systems very well, but I'm willing to learn (on my own) and learn new things very quickly, so let me know if you think I can be helpful.

Stedda

Boy for something thats free I dont see them owing you an explanation.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

a1ex

Also, when a changeset message does not refer to a specific camera, it usually applies to all cameras.

baga

Quote from: laame on April 03, 2013, 02:17:32 PM
I bet they are doing something for 650D every day, like trying to figure out what causes problems or reviewing pre-alpha testers feedback.
Probably they just write and update code once in a while, when there is something worthwhile to open the project and work on it.
As far as I know doing some minor editing on such a massive project is a waste of time when you have to go through a pile of lines of code. You do that when there is more than one minor edit nessesary.

The developers here have full time jobs and do this on their own time and they do this unpaid.  So some times days can go by before they get back to working on ML and the 650D is not their only project.. 
Canon T4i/650d, Battery grip,  Xti/400d, 5 lenses, 2x converter, External flash hot shoe, Minolta XG7, power winder, Minolta X700, power winder grip, Sunpak 522 with dedicated sensors, dedicated hot shoe flash, 2x converter, 6 lenes and 4 older cameras

nanomad

Exactly, I usually work on ml during the weekend (assuming it's not an holiday :p) as most of the other devs
Closed doors testing may seem strange bit it helps to keep reports under control when you know the code is still full of bugs
That and the fact that testers actually try out every single function and provide a nice report of what's broken and what's not

Only a side note if you want to start working on ml we can probably arrange a live q/a session over irc with some other devs (I'm volunteering). Let me know if you are interested so I can discuss this with the other guys ;D
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

jimmyD30

Quote from: nanomad on April 03, 2013, 08:19:39 PM

Only a side note if you want to start working on ml we can probably arrange a live q/a session over irc with some other devs (I'm volunteering). Let me know if you are interested so I can discuss this with the other guys ;D

Just curious, has a software camera simulator been developed? Like an iPhone sim in Xcode for apps, if not do you think it would be feasible to create one for testing? This might be something I can do with some guidance from the lead developers.

bearbiever

Quote from: nanomad on April 03, 2013, 08:19:39 PM

I'd be down to at least watch this!  I'm currently in school (taking a C class right now in fact!), so I'm very interested in learning as much as I can, and maybe even helping.

Chuck J

following the process of the development of a public version of magic lantern is almost as cool as using a public version of magic lantern. so far i've enjoyed the show!

Thanks for the dedication to this project :)

a1ex

QuoteJust curious, has a software camera simulator been developed?

See www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2864

If you are interested, I can publish the current patch (you can run ML code on QEMU, but only one task at a time). For example, I've used this emulator these days to debug a small python interpreter (tinypy).

michel

Alex, nanomad,

I've got >13 years experience with embedded systems, RTOS, programming in assembly (ARM, x86, MIPS) and of course C/C++. I don't have much time, but could help in weekends or when I'm low on projects (if ever...).

A quick session to get started would definitely help, so yes, I'm interested.

buckbullstallion

I am just excited to brick my camera. I used to program in the day, many years ago asm on 6809 wow have things grown since then. never kept up. But I am always ready to test and report. I am sure you have enough testers but in future releases as I have stated in a post earlier, I would love to test the bracketing script to infinity as I am just now getting into HDR and feel limited with 3 frames.
Keep up the tremendous work, and hopefully the new guys that offered their expertise passes the interview and will lend their talents to this great adventure. Grace and Peace to all who are working on this and to all testers.

Taynkbot

So I was thinking that it'd be awesome if you could increase the video frame rate. I know you probably can't get a whole lot faster than 30fps on 1080 but maybe increase frame rate on lower quality videos so we could get some high speed shots!
ONLY a suggestion though and only if you think it'd be worth throwing in (you may already be doing it, I don't know). Thanks again guys! Your work is awesome and I appreciate it!

armino

Hi there,

I'm from germany and also owning a 650D and eagerly awaiting ML for that.
Since I'm recording video with it and don't want use an external audio recorder I would like to get the highest possible quality out of the internal Audio-Codec (i.e. foremost disable AGC).
I'm a embedded software-developer having 5+ years of experience with C and asm (all kind of µC and Interfaces). In case there is anything I could do (especially regarding the Audio-Codec) I would be glad to help.

Cheers,
armino

blade

I would like to share some of the pre alpha testing. Shooting video at 2.5 fps will lead to a system crash ( already reported to nanomad, and a fix is in development as far as i know) Additionally, vertical lines apear in the video. Aldo this may not be specific for this release.

eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

g3gg0

Quote from: armino on April 04, 2013, 10:42:02 AM
Hi there,

I'm from germany and also owning a 650D and eagerly awaiting ML for that.
Since I'm recording video with it and don't want use an external audio recorder I would like to get the highest possible quality out of the internal Audio-Codec (i.e. foremost disable AGC).
I'm a embedded software-developer having 5+ years of experience with C and asm (all kind of µC and Interfaces). In case there is anything I could do (especially regarding the Audio-Codec) I would be glad to help.

Cheers,
armino

you have IDA pro or a comparable tool?

DavidFell

Quote from: AshleyAshes on February 25, 2013, 04:36:28 AM
Yeah.  Get something other than a DSLR for filming wedding photography. o.O

A prosumer video camera? Geez, I haven't seen one of those at a wedding in years. I'd bet that a survey would show most pro wedding photogs now use DSLRs. But I shall not be funding such a survey.

armino

Quote from: g3gg0 on April 04, 2013, 11:34:35 AM
you have IDA pro or a comparable tool?

no unfortunately not (unless you're referring to the freeware version 4.9). So far the reverse engineering that I've done was so easy it could be done by looking at the disassembly alone.
Why do you ask? Is it recommended/required?

michel

In the old days I used a lot of SoftICE, not even sure that still exists? Anyway, I know how to work with IDA and other such tools, no problem there.

g3gg0

well, IDA is a necessary tool when you are reverse engineering canon functionality.

for cleaning up code and adding some new features, you just have to set up the build environment,
grab ML from the hg repository and build one on your own.