5d Mark II Doesn't start:((

Started by Surely, October 25, 2012, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surely

I have been using magic lantern  for sometime now. I hadn't noticed any major issues until yesterday. Now my camera won't start .

What happened:
I was filming yesterday, and after I hit the button to  stop filming  LCD went of  but both led's at the back of the camera  blue and red lights  turned on  and wouldn't t turn off.Waited for a while and then I turned the camera off but the lights were still on.after I waited couple of minutes I took the battery off, and put it back on.Then I tried to turn the camera on but it didn't start.  I recharged the battery put it back after only   a few attempts I managed the get the camera on. But that was only possible with a CF card that never had the ML on it. Now  camera hardly works. To get it on  I have try taking of the battery  and put it back.(each time I wait for 5 seconds before i insert the battery)) But that doesn't always guarantee that the camera will start.  it starts sometimes but  sometimes it doesn't and  when the camera goes on stand by mode it freezes again. I removed the ML on the cards( by formatting them on the computer)  What shall I do?

PS: I had the latest canon firmware before I installed the ML . It worked fine for couple of months without major issues.

can you please help me, shame I lost a job today because of this issue:((

any input will be  greatly appreciated.

nanomad

Can you check if the "ML" contains something in the ML/LOGS folder or a log in the root of the card?

Does the camera start up fine without a CF card in?

(we can debug this in real time too if you head over to chat)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Surely

Hello, Thank you very much for quick reply. sorry for my slow reply as well. I was away from my camera so i couldn't reply.
Can you check if the "ML" contains something in the ML/LOGS folder or a log in the root of the card?

sorry I couldn't check this. As I formatted the cards on the computer after I had the issue and  that wiped out ML files. Now i just put the files back on the root folder but camera doesn't recognize ML any more, do I have to follow the installation progress again?  is it safe to do so?

Does the camera start up fine without a CF card in?

I tried this, I managed to get it on once but  it is pretty much same as when I have a card inserted. 

I also noticed the battery seems to be draining pretty quickly

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Surely

Hello again guys,
I think my problem got worse now.  A1ex,I don't know if you remember, we tried the debug the camera somewhile ago  but we couldn't. the problem was camera wouldn't shut down  unless i remove the battery and at shut down I would get both LED's on.( blue and red one)

But today, just before I start shooting,I inserted a card, hoping the turn the camera on by using the trick( removing the battery) but As soon as I inserted the card I had the card LED (red one) on. since then camera won't turn at all. After numerous attempts  I managed the get it on once but in this one camera was frozen from the start. I could only see top lcd working, only thing i could change was the focal points, nothing else, nothing on liveview  or lcd etc.

Now I am panicking, What would you recommend guys, is it possible to fix this somehow???

thanks

a1ex

I'm sorry, we don't offer any urgent repair services (we are not a repair shop).

You can run the blink test and the startup log tools again, maybe we can get another diagnostic log. But it's very likely to be a hardware issue.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0 - tools 1 and 3.

Surely

hello A1lex,
thanks for your help I appreciate it, sorry  the reason I included the "Urgent" in the text was it happened minutes before I had to start a photoshoot and I was panicking. didn't mean to be rude.

Just a question before I  run the test, Could I run it without ML insatlled on the card because I had removed the ML a few days ago(uninstalled from the camera)but camera was working ok ,somehow.

today, what happened was I inserted a card which I had formated on the computer which had nothing on it(not  canon folders etc) and the problem seemed to have started after I inserted that card. Now when I put a card in  CF led blinks twice and nothing works.

and when I insert that particular card ,red led is on continuously I was wondering if that tells anything. I will  try to run the test to see I guess  I will have to take it to a canon service

once again thank you so much,

nanomad

You need ML on the card to run the tests
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Surely

Thank you very much. Just now I managed to turn the camera on. What I notices It only seems to start  in B mode.I turn the power button to ON position and then insert the battery and the camera starts. I managed the install the ML back. So  I will run the test. I guess that's kind of good news At least I know the camera is not completely dead.

Surely

I tried the blink test , it doesn't blink at all, didn't managed to get the camera start  with blink test
later  i managed to get  start up logs please  see  the files below
Thanks
http://www.sendspace.com/file/iw7fbd

Samu

Hi there,
was just reading and I am sad to say that I have the same problem, my camera doesn't turn on or seem to work at all.
I used ML for couple of months but randomly few weeks ago back from Xmas holiday camera started to not work properly.
I did exactly the same things. recharged battery, formatted CF from Mac but unfortunately nothing seem to work now.

Could you please advise me something to do... ??

many thanks for reading me and sorry if I just took advantage of this conversation.

Sam

Surely

hello Samu,
I am sorry to hear you had the same problem. I am not too sure if the problem is related to ML .What happened with my camera is that , after a while i post this I found a way to make it work. it  start  in B mode only then you could use it  in other moods once you started it.I uised it that way  but  recenty   I started to get  err80 constantly . Mirror opens but shutter won't move.i can change the settings on the top lcd  but camera won't take any pictures  nor nothing showing on  rear  LCD screen.

I am going  to take it to the service to get an estimate tomorrow , let's see what they will say. it looks like a hardware issue:((

good luck with solving your problem.

fingers crossed

Samu

thank you,
let me posted it with what canon will tell you!
ta

Archee

Hey folks, I got into few issues having ML 2.3 on my 5d2, firstly I had issues during shooting where basically the camera got no response. I didn't pay attention to it as I thought it might be just an issue which can be solved by loading back Canon firmware  2.1.2, though while I tried to load back the 2.1.2 it get suck on 99 percent, always on until the battery dies,

So I can't load ML back to it, nor anything above the 1.0.1 firmware. I don't have the original ML configuration anymore as that was causing the camera draining battery constantly and without the card with that installation, it wouldn't basically load at all. Can anyone suggest what to do? I don't mind to have ML on it or not to have ML on it at all as long as I can use the camera and that means at this moment, the power button simply won't do a dime. Only batteries in and out.  Then if I keep them in, they get drained.

Thx

Archee

Archee

Quote from: Archee on February 15, 2013, 01:25:26 AM
Hey folks, I got into few issues having ML 2.3 on my 5d2, firstly I had issues during shooting where basically the camera got no response. I didn't pay attention to it as I thought it might be just an issue which can be solved by loading back Canon firmware  2.1.2, though while I tried to load back the 2.1.2 it get suck on 99 percent, always on until the battery dies,

So I can't load ML back to it, nor anything above the 1.0.1 firmware. I don't have the original ML configuration anymore as that was causing the camera draining battery constantly and without the card with that installation, it wouldn't basically load at all. Can anyone suggest what to do? I don't mind to have ML on it or not to have ML on it at all as long as I can use the camera and that means at this moment, the power button simply won't do a dime. Only batteries in and out.  Then if I keep them in, they get drained.

Thx

Archee

Can anyone help? One thing I didn't mention is this, while I try to update the firmware of the camera  from 1.1.0 to let's say 2.1.2 it asks if I want to have load firmware 2.1.2 -> 2.1.2  which in this case I can do but again it gets stuck on 99% and it says don't touch anything but if I keep it on, basically the camera drains the battery and I can either try it again which results in same thing or again upload the old 1.1.0 which is ok for the camera to shoot but still can't do anything about the other stuff.

Lexdom

Hello all,
I was having the problem where my 5d mkii would not turn on.

On my last job, I noticed that when I did a card change, ML did not stay on my camera.  This was never an issue before.  Today I go to turn the camera on and it won't power up.  After freakin the eff out I calmly began reading various forums but was not having much luck.  I have managed to get my 5d mkii working again in the last half hour but I will see if it holds.  I realized that my camera WOULD turn on if I had a CF card that never had ML on it or if I had no CF card in it.  I would put back my CF card that had ML (even though I deleted everything off the card on my Mac) and it would not turn on.  Using my non-ML cards, I was able to re-install 2.1.2 successfully on the 5dmkii (I had reset camera settings before that but not sure if it actually helped).  I then formatted my ML cards in my 7d.  Everything works fine so far.  Only time will tell.  I absolutely love ML but I'm scared to put it back in because my shoot schedule is kind of hectic right now.

nanomad

If you delete the ML files but keep the card bootflag enabled, the camera will refuse to boot with that card inside. You need to do an in-camera low level format or use windows format dialog with the quick option not checked.

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq

franfreeman89

hi there.

Im also jumping in although this is an old post. I have a Canon 60D. I installed the magic lantern and it worked perfectly no problems for a week or so and now its started playing up when i take out the sd card to upload photos onto my computer. I turn the camera off, wait a minute and then take it out. As i do the red LED light always comes on and then goes off again. Then when i put the card back in the camera won't turn on. I have to do the take the battery out and put the sd card in and then put the battery in trick which makes it work fine no problems but i am worried that if i keep doing this and keep pushing it one day it just won't turn on.

has anyone else had this problem?
is there a way of avoiding it?
can i continue to do it fine, or should i stop and fix the problem?

Thanks anyone who takes the time to reply its really appreciated, what a great software :)