How to import video files to Windows from card?

Started by Arnaud123, December 11, 2023, 08:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnaud123

Hi,

I am not new to ML (EOS-M) but I am facing a problem I can't solve...

I had a laptop, dual booting Linux and Windows (I run Davinci Resolve on Windows and my everyday life on Linux because I am more of a Linux person). I used to plug in my card to the built in reader of this laptop to import my video files to this laptop, then re-boot in Windows and run Resolve.

Yesterday I decided to only have Windows on this laptop and deleted Linux. However, when I am in Windows, I just realized that my plugged-in card isn't recognized by Windows so I can't import my video files...

What should I do? I can use another Linux machine and transfer videos to a usb key then on my laptop, but it takes time...

Is it possible to transfer video files directly from my card into Windows?

I know it might be a stupid question but I seldom use Windows except for Davinci so I am a bit lost whith Windows machines.

Thank you.

Walter Schulz

Is card readable in cam?
If not: Card got corrupted. Recovery may be possible
If: Get your windows drivers for your cardreader. If unable purchase a dedicated cardreader.

EDIT: And you should be able to boot from a Linux USB stick and transfer files to a second stick or directly transfer to NTFS drive.

Skinny

For some reason I had two laptops where built-in SD card readers just stopped working..
I would recommend you to get a good card reader, you can get usb 3.0 card reader which should be faster than built-in reader anyway. I have a few cheap generic $1 readers, and they work, but kind of slow (20mb/s max). Although built-in readers were only about 12mb/s.
Interesting thing but some SD cards work reliably only in one card reader and others prefer another one :)

Arnaud123

Quote from: Walter Schulz on December 11, 2023, 09:56:36 PM
Is card readable in cam?
If not: Card got corrupted. Recovery may be possible
If: Get your windows drivers for your cardreader. If unable purchase a dedicated cardreader.

EDIT: And you should be able to boot from a Linux USB stick and transfer files to a second stick or directly transfer to NTFS drive.

Thank you, I will check this. And the usb stick, I should have thought about it, thanks...

Arnaud123

Quote from: Skinny on December 12, 2023, 08:47:36 AM
For some reason I had two laptops where built-in SD card readers just stopped working..
I would recommend you to get a good card reader, you can get usb 3.0 card reader which should be faster than built-in reader anyway. I have a few cheap generic $1 readers, and they work, but kind of slow (20mb/s max). Although built-in readers were only about 12mb/s.
Interesting thing but some SD cards work reliably only in one card reader and others prefer another one :)

Thank you. I will try first the usb stick boot solution and if it is not working I guess my built in card reader is dead and will buy a card reader.

Arnaud123

So, I tried booting from a usk stick, booting a Linux distro and I could transfer my files. So my card is fine and my built in reader is fine.

I have no idea why it doesn't work when I boot in Windows....

Walter Schulz

Check device manager for unknown/deactivated devices.

Arnaud123