Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3 (1.1.3)

Started by a1ex, September 07, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozcancelik

I'm trying to use Nightly Builds on my 5D3. And I  have tried;

1- low level format in the camera,
2- adding fir file to SD Card( http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/5D3/5D3-113-bootflag.fir )
3- download latest nightly build and copy to sd card
4- making card bootable on EOSCard
5- try to update .fir process in camera

But my 5D3 doesn't work with bootable card. It does not open. Tried without ML files and it's same. I guess when i make card bootable, camera does not recognize it. What did i wrong?

Thank you.

Edit: Of course using firmware 1.1.3

Betelgeuza

Quote from: ozcancelik on March 17, 2013, 02:16:57 PM
I'm trying to use Nightly Builds on my 5D3. And I  have tried;

1- low level format in the camera,
2- adding fir file to SD Card( http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/5D3/5D3-113-bootflag.fir )
3- download latest nightly build and copy to sd card
4- making card bootable on EOSCard
5- try to update .fir process in camera

But my 5D3 doesn't work with bootable card. It does not open. Tried without ML files and it's same. I guess when i make card bootable, camera does not recognize it. What did i wrong?

Thank you.

Edit: Of course using firmware 1.1.3

i dont have same camera as you have but  this is my way to start up lastest Nightly.. :

format card : in side Canon
upgrade Firmware : to my version ( version  my camera need to have )
put on card lastest Stable Magic Lantern 2.3V jun 2012 ( few mounts ago )
fun and experiments with ML 2.3 V ( all the time )

after some time :
I downloaded lastest  Nightly Version what was ( Autoexec.bin and ML folder + some 0 kb PDF and firmware ) i downloaded it  some 7 days ago so now its not lastest. file have some 4 mb + 1.4mb in ML folder or something.
ireplaced  autoexec.bin and ML Folder on my card where i was have instaled 2.3V  Version
i put again card to camera and i start it up ..
i push trash button i sean welcome screan from Magic Lantern Nightly Version . i push again some buttons on camera boody and i was ready to go..

i use this steps .. everything works  grate . but this is just sugestion from my expirence..in my case it works . but im not sure if this is fully right way to instaling it..

edit :

im not sure but i thing you need first upgrade firmware ( of course if u need ) and after this put on card ML .. so  first put firmware files on card . upgrad if  camera need .. and later when your camera upgrade firmware ( if need it ) just delete upgrading firmware file from card cuz i dont thing u need it on card any more after upgrading.. later put ML on Card and instal ML ..

ozcancelik

Alpha 3 works ok. But problem is 5D3 with Nightly Builds. A1ex says there "Try the developer FIR, make the card bootable and should work." When I make SD card bootable (with or without autoexec.bin, developer .fir and ML folder) camera doesn't open.

Without bootflag it Nightly builds doesn't work too. I don't make card bootable just copy developer 5d3 .fir file, autoexec.bin and ML folder it says "enable bootdisk :)" but there are no Magic Lantern on trash button. (Also "Set" button does not work with this option. Summary: No ML and No Set button work)

Also I guess Stable Magic Lantern 2.3V jun 2012 can not work with 5D3 anyway.

Add: Is there any different way to make SD card bootable? I'm using EOSCard with enable 0x047 and 0x05C.

1%

Put the fir on non bootable card, set the boot flag.

Then make card bootable and add ML files.

done.

a1ex

Obviously, if you copy ML for 5D2/550D/etc it won't work on 5D3.

My reply was to a user who compiled ML himself.

ozcancelik

Quote from: a1ex on March 17, 2013, 07:31:58 PM
Obviously, if you copy ML for 5D2/550D/etc it won't work on 5D3.

My reply was to a user who compiled ML himself.

I use nightly builds (http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/). This files do not work with 5D3? Should i compile it from source code??

Low level format, copying developer fir file to non bootable SD card, update firmware from camera without ML files(It says some error like there is no ML files), remove card and copy autoexec.bin and ML folder, making card bootable with EOSCard. Doesn't work. It's not Eye-Fi card. Kingston 32Gb 100x Sd card.

NerveGas

Nightly builds don't have 5D3 built in. You need to download the source tree and compile it with 'make 5D3', then copy the autoexec.bin to a bootable SD card, along with the other files from the 5D3 release. You can build it quite easily if you grab one of the virtual machines set up with the dev environment.

I have uploaded a 5D3 autoexec.bin from latest source head here:

http://www.freefilehosting.net/autoexec_1

I take no responsibility if this damages your camera.

ozcancelik

Quote from: NerveGas on March 17, 2013, 08:38:51 PM
Nightly builds don't have 5D3 built in. You need to download the source tree and compile it with 'make 5D3', then copy the autoexec.bin to a bootable SD card, along with the other files from the 5D3 release. You can build it quite easily if you grab one of the virtual machines set up with the dev environment.

Now problem is solved. Thank you so much. I saw 5D3 changes in changelog so I thought Nightly Builds works with 5D3.

Thank you again!

eyeland

Just wanted to get a little more ease of mind before installing alpha 3 - am I right in assuming that no 5D mkIII's (that we know of) have been bricked by ML? :)
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

NerveGas

I've run all kinds of stuff with Alpha 3, as well as the latest repo head, and had no problems. Someone warned me to stay away from legacy focus points.

aaphotog

Magiclantern for the 5d3 can auto boot now so that I dont have to install every time I shut the camera off?

NerveGas

If you build an autoexec.bin you can make a bootable SD.

manniac

I was trying to make ML auto-boot on my Mark III - unfortunately without success.
I read the last few pages in this thread and tried to figure out what to do.

Now, what I did is this:
I downloaded "ML for 5D Mark III - Alpha 3" from this tread and additionally autoexec.bin from this url: (http://www.freefilehosting.net/autoexec_1) that user NerveGas posted a few days ago.
I put all files on my card and used eoscard.exe to make the card bootable.
I put the card into my Mark III and turned the camera on. It didn't autoboot. Manually starting ML works fine though.
There's also no autoboot option in the ML menu.

What did I miss? I thought, all I need is the autoexec.bin, which, as far as I understood it, is enabled for auto-boot?

eyeland

Quote from: JohnN on March 02, 2013, 11:48:15 AM
many people don't know where to start at compiling a bin file or have the confidence in case they get it wrong (myself included if I'm honest)
+1
I would love to try the DoTtune implementation, but as far as I understand, this feature is not included in the Alpha3.
Could anyone be persuaded to compile a version with DoTtune and share it?
Edit: the vanilla alpha3 works to some extend, and I must say that the gradual exposure change is amazing!
Another feature that canon should ahve thought about long ago :)

Still, if anyone would care to share their different versions I'd be more than happy to test a few more features.
In case I get impatient, how would one go about compiling a a 5D ML with the DotTune feature enabled?
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

hirethestache

I may have overlooked this question in reading all 26 pages of posts, but has there been any sort of study on the effects of re-loading the firmware on every single startup? Seems to me like this could be damaging, but I'm merely a UI/UX designer, and by no means a developer...
@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

Francyz

:)
I think it's time to make a firmware autorun for all. Because they themselves are beginning to make it bootable, and can cause problems with the machine. And so we are responsible for our technology, so really hard to do for us to boot, would quickly began testing her, and the desire disappears each time you turn it to register again!

Jackie

Quote from: NerveGas on March 17, 2013, 08:38:51 PM

Thank you so much it work great like a treat :)  :-*
5D3 - Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD - Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM - Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM - Yongnuo YN-560 II

beardyboy

I just installed this on my 5Dmk3, very interesting indeed.

can anyone tell me where the disable Audio Gain Control is on this build?

thanks.

Okello

You can disable AGC in camera without ML. Press Menu button then go to SHOOT 4, SOUND RECORDING and then select manual.

RTFM man!

beardyboy

I already had it on manual and it was still hissing with my new rode videopro mic.

so i thought it was still on somehow!

Okello

I have the same problem. Well it's all down to ML to figure out the audio chip in the 5D mark 3ree and maybe give us a mic input selection feature. Or maybe we both just need to get a better microphone. :)

beardyboy

Ok I've worked it out.

set the microphone to +20Db and the recording level to only a few clicks above 0 on the camera, bingo no hiss!

:-)

@!ex

As a relative noob to this, I've ben trying to glean as much as I could from the post in this thread, but can someone clarify if the nightly builds contain all the features of ML not in the alpha?  is it just more risky?

thenickdude

So, I haven't seen any clear instructions for how people can try out the (unstable) development release yet (instead of the older Alpha 3), so here's my guide. Because it is an unstable development release, it could wreck your camera, so do this at your own risk. Please correct me if I get any of this wrong.

1. Start by updating your camera's firmware to the latest Canon version (1.1.3).

2. Because this isn't a final release, your camera needs a little modification made to it so that it can load Magic Lantern from the SD card. This is called turning on the camera's bootflag. When the bootflag is turned on, and a bootable SD card is inserted, the camera will load and run the file "autoexec.bin" from the SD card. Here, autoexec.bin will be the Magic Lantern software.

To turn on the bootflag, format your SD card in your camera, then copy this file to the root of your card:

http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/5D3/5D3-113-bootflag.fir

Put it back into your camera, then run the firmware update option from the menus. The update will turn on your camera's bootflag.

3. Download the nightly Magic Lantern zip here. Unpack the zip file and copy just the "ML" folder to your SD card. Delete any .fir files that are on the SD card. You've now copied just the fonts and other data that ML needs to operate to your SD card.

4. Now you can copy a Magic Lantern development build (autoexec.bin) to the root of the SD card. Building this file is tricky, but NerveGas has kindly built a copy for us and posted it here. Unpack that zip file and copy the autoexec.bin to the root of your SD card.

5. You should now have an "ML" folder and an "autoexec.bin" file in the root of your SD card. That's the data/fonts and the actual Magic Lantern software. All that is left now is to set the "bootable" flag on the SD card, which tells the camera that it should look for and run the autoexec.bin file for us.

On Windows, you can use the EOSCard utility to do this:

http://pel.hu/eoscard/

Select your SD card, tick the EOS_DEVELOP and BOOTDISK options, install no FIR files, and Save.

On Linux / OSX, you can use the make_bootable.sh script instead. Plug in your SD card, then run the script from the terminal with sudo ./make_bootable.sh . Hopefully you know how to use the terminal.

6. Okay, so now you have the bootflag turned on in your camera (so it looks for bootable SD cards), you've marked your SD card as bootable, and you've copied the development Magic Lantern build "autoexec.bin" and the Magic Lantern data files "ML" to your SD card, you're ready to go! Turn off your camera, put the card in, and turn the camera back on. It should boot and run Magic Lantern.

Note: The nightly builds available on the main site do NOT support the 5D Mark III yet. You need to build autoexec.bin yourself or use the version provided by NerveGas instead (as these instructions already mentioned :)).