Nightly Builds - try the very latest stuff here

Started by a1ex, October 11, 2012, 01:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

What are nightly builds?
- Nightly builds are binaries compiled daily from the latest source code, by an automatic program.
- Download: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
- Feature comparison matrix
- Changeset log on Bitbucket

Update by RenatoPhoto (Oct 1, 2013):

Delete ALL old files from card i.e. autoexec.bin and the entire ML directory and replace by new files.  Do not mix old with new.

Who should use nightly builds?
- Anyone who likes to live on the bleeding edge, wants to help ML development and doesn't care about some features being broken.

Why should I use a nightly build?
- To try the latest features (e.g. you have requested a feature and it was implemented).
- To check if a bug was fixed.
- To help us with testing (please report any bugs you find).

What are the disadvantages of nightly builds?
- You are running untested code. The source code is updated daily, and development sometimes progresses very quickly. We can't test every little change on all cameras, so a few things may not work as expected.
- No documentation - the only help for new features is a small line of text, and ML source code.
- No guarantees - if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces. Well, the same is true for stable releases - but at least, the chances of things going wrong should be much lower.

What's new?
- See the feature comparison matrix.
- Browse the changeset log on Bitbucket.
- Look for feature requests marked as "DONE". You might find some cool stuff there.
- The list of changes is huge - if you want a nice summary, you need to wait for the next stable release.

Will it work on my camera?
- Hopefully yes.
- Make sure you download the correct version for your camera.
- Some cameras are no longer maintained by anyone, so a lot of things are probably broken. If you find broken stuff, and you have some basic C skills, some spare time, and you like the idea of programming your own camera, give it a try. Patches welcome.

Anything else?
- If you run bleeding edge code, we kindly ask you to give something back - bug reports. Tell us what is not working, so we can fix it.

Enjoy!

AriLG

Not exactly a bug but.... I cannot open the PDF files...
T3i (main), T2i
------------------
It's not about accuracy,  it's about Aesthetics

nanomad

I bet you didn't notice they were 0kb  ;)

As it's clearly written, the nightly builds come without documentation. This includes the pdf files (which are 0kb just to avoid complaints from the build system)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

AriLG

Oh $hit... No I didn't.

I'm so accustomed to immediately open the user guide that I didn't noticed the size.

Thanks and Cheers !
T3i (main), T2i
------------------
It's not about accuracy,  it's about Aesthetics

g3gg0

Quote from: nanomad on October 11, 2012, 07:34:33 PM
As it's clearly written..

i think that was accidentally removed - its not anymore in the post :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

KarateBrot

oh great! i was about to ask if there was a new compiled version around :)
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

a1ex

Well... probably it's not very hard to patch the "make zip" command to ignore missing pdf's in a silent way.

a1ex

Small detail - can it be configured so that latest builds are displayed at the top?

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

sshanky

if the only .fir file in the directory (e.g. 10/14/12 build) is named "1100D", should I skip it if I am using it on a 550D? In other words, are the nightlies only for specific cameras? Is there a way to find the most recent nightly for a specific camera model?

Also, to install, is it as simple as just adding the new .fir file onto the card and putting it back into the camera?

Thanks

nanomad

The .fir is used to enable the bootflag on the camera and card, nothing else. The .fir provided is for the 1100D only because it was not in the 2.3 release. You can use the 2.3 release fir if you need them on the other cameras

a1ex

Quick Q: what GCC version you are using for nightly builds? And it's 32-bit or 64-bit?

nanomad

The compiler I'm using is the one from ARM that can be found on https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded/+download
Version: gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_6-2012q2-20120614.tar.bz2
Architecture: 32bit
Optimizations: disabled (no -O3 or anything else)

Incidentally, all my 1100D builds have been using -O3 and working without issues

a1ex

The only reason for disabling -O3 was this problem on 500D: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1468/500d-unable-to-record-with-audio-and

(which is actually a Canon bug - when drawing too fast, it gets err70).

a1ex

Added a changelog feature, probably needs a quick code review from Nanomad :)

nanomad

Thanks, I went on and merged it with a new folder structure that should make EOScard job easier

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Hello Guys!
Could anyone help me? I'm not able to download on my 600D ... it simply does not recognize. Desulpem me by ignorance, and thank you.

[Sorry for my bad english]

ilguercio

Quote from: Luiz Roberto dos Santos on October 26, 2012, 03:24:21 PM
Hello Guys!
Could anyone help me? I'm not able to download on my 600D ... it simply does not recognize. Desulpem me by ignorance, and thank you.

[Sorry for my bad english]
This is not a complete and detailed report.
Let me try asking you a question:are you using a card-reader?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

nanomad

FartingPuppyProductions

CAn someone pls answer this question.. If I go to the nightly builds, Do I only have to ad the latest build and all the changes are on that? So in other words are all the changes from the previous builds on the latest build?
Farting Puppy Productions
Gene Greenwood - Director / DOP
www.fartingpuppy.com - www.youtube.com/genegreenwood

Francis

Yes, the nightly builds contain the current source.  The only reason something from a previous build isn't on in the nightly is if there were problems and the it was disabled.

a1ex

In the source code, you need to fix it and compile it yourself.

Glaziers

and how to do it please tell me (at least hint)

can be anyone have the old version