ArcziPL's crop_rec_4k experiments for 70D

Started by ArcziPL, March 07, 2019, 10:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

If not tested yet I think the latest changes in mlv_snd together with mlv_lite from g3gg0 should be tested. I think it´s in this branch:
crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd. Not sure what branch is working with 70D or not though but anyhow.

dfort

Something I noticed on the video is that you have both mlv_rec and mlv_lite modules loaded. Don't don't that! Turn on as few modules as possible when testing and definitely not two modules that do basically the same thing.

I believe that the latest commit for the 70D is this one on the crop_rec_4k branch.

andy kh

thanks dford
now its working perfect. no more problem with audio in mlv rec.
i can find the audio setting in mlv rec after deactivating mlv lite module
5D Mark III - 70D

mvrck

So, a funny thing happened. While doing some additional testing, the sound recording started working out of nowhere, as it seems. I did have some issues and I did get one Err70 out of all my extra tests and it was the strangest one yet.

Mar07 Build

mlv_lite + mlv_snd + sd_uhs

1832x1024, 14-bit lossless, 16:9
Preview: Realtime
Small hacks: ON
Auto Mirroring: Don't allow
15 min. - Video OK, sound OK, NO ERRORS!
Additionally tested later:
45 min. - Video OK, sound OK, NO ERRORS!
50 min. at ISO200 - Video OK, sound OK, NO ERRORS!
47 min. at ISO400 - Video OK, sound OK, NO ERRORS!

----------------------------
mlv_rec + mlv_snd + sd_uhs

1824x1026, 10bpp, 16:9
Global Draw: Allow
Additionally tested later:

The mlv_snd module was loaded and turned on, but the sound meter bars didn't show up.

Mar14 Build

mlv_rec + mlv_snd

1792x716, 10bpp, 2.50:1
Global Draw: Allow
15 min. -  Video OK, sound OK, but Err70

When I pressed stop at the 15th minute, the recording timer froze, the top display said "Busy" and a few seconds later.. guess what.. Err70! Had to take out my battery this time. The MLV file had sound, though.

mlv_lite + mlv_snd

1600x900, 14-bit lossless, 16:9
Preview: Realtime
Small hacks: ON
Auto Mirroring: Don't allow

Everything went as normal: audio meter bars showing up and working, camera reacting normally, when starting and stopping recording. I should mention, that I tried recording in 1776x1000 with everything alse the same, but the camera stopped after a couple of minutes. It stopped in a normal manner, like when the resolution is just too high - no unusual errors. When I tested that build before, with the higher resolution, it worked for 40 mins., but now with mlv_snd also loaded, it looks like it can't keep up.

Doesn't make much sense to me. In all tests I kept ML at default settings with only the modules, mentioned above loaded. I don't think Canon's menu settings have an effect on RAW recording, but most were kept at defaults (incl. audio), except: image recording set to RAW only, video recording format set to 24fps, IPB, colour profile set to Faithful (from Auto), Beeping turned off. Can't think of anything else. The way I switched from build to build for testing, was without uninstalling ML, just deleting one build's files from the card and copying the other build's onto it. I have both builds with my settings backed up in folders.

I'll keep testing. If anyone has any insight, please share.

ArcziPL

Quote from: mvrck on March 29, 2019, 09:05:04 PMI don't think Canon's menu settings have an effect on RAW recording, but most were kept at defaults (incl. audio), except: image recording set to RAW only, video recording format set to 24fps, IPB, colour profile set to Faithful (from Auto), Beeping turned off. Can't think of anything else.
That's the moment, when the bell rang in my head. Was beeping turned off also during your initial tests when sound didn't work at all?

If you take look at the first post in this topic:
Quote from: nikfreak on January 15, 2015, 12:22:15 AM
What's not working:
Check also Changelog history below for all details and disabled features...

Every single detail might count. You are doing it very well, mvrck, testing and describing keeping all tiny details in mind!
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

mvrck

Quote from: ArcziPL on March 29, 2019, 09:28:09 PM
That's the moment, when the bell rang in my head. Was beeping turned off also during your initial tests when sound didn't work at all?

If you take look at the first post in this topic:

Every single detail might count. You are doing it very well, mvrck, testing and describing keeping all tiny details in mind!

I think I still had it on, when I did the first tests. I can't remember exactly when I disabled it, though. I didn't think such a seemingly inconsequential setting could have such, well, consequences. I'll try enabling it back to see what happens.

EDIT: Yup, with "Beep" enabled, I get 5-20 secs. before an Err70. Thank you very much, ArcziPL, for pointing this out!

ShootMeAlready

So is variable FPS working? what setting and is there a build I can test.  Cheers.
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

andy kh

Quote from: ShootMeAlready on March 31, 2019, 06:56:03 PM
So is variable FPS working? what setting and is there a build I can test.  Cheers.

Reply # 3291
5D Mark III - 70D

andy kh

with the fps override enable now i can shoot 4k with my 70D
i wil share a video soon. i may not shoot in 4k but shoot in 3k since rendering takes so much time
5D Mark III - 70D

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

ArcziPL

Quote from: andy kh on April 05, 2019, 07:20:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GCCJ2y7ch8&feature=youtu.be

fps override not jumping to default
Wow! Andy, how did you do that? Which build, which modules loaded, how do you manage to increase resolution to 3k and make FPS not jump back?
M50.110 [main cam] | G7X III [pocket cam] | 70D.112 [gathers dust] | M.202 [gathers dust] | waiting for M5II

andy kh

Quote from: ArcziPL on April 05, 2019, 08:07:02 AM
Wow! Andy, how did you do that? Which build, which modules loaded, and make FPS not jump back?

its your build. i use sd_uhs and script from danne. i play around with shutter range and timer A. i have tested with different fps like 16,18,20,21 as per my need and all work fine without jumping

its in 5X Zoom mode so i can go upto 3.5k. little problem with the preview as the "framing" in preview dont work sometimes but "realtime" always work

5D Mark III - 70D

ArcziPL

Quote from: andy kh on April 05, 2019, 08:31:57 AM
its your build. i use sd_uhs and script from danne.
Can you point me to this script please?

andy kh

Quote from: ArcziPL on April 05, 2019, 08:33:06 AM
Can you point me to this script please?

the script has nothing to do with fps. i use it to autorun the sd_uhs when i start my camera
5D Mark III - 70D

ArcziPL

So the "playing around with shutter range and timer A" you do with adtg_gui?

andy kh

Quote from: ArcziPL on April 05, 2019, 08:51:37 AM
So the "playing around with shutter range and timer A" you do with adtg_gui?
No

but by goin to advance option in fps override
5D Mark III - 70D

ArcziPL

Quote from: andy kh on April 05, 2019, 09:02:06 AM
but by goin to advance option in fps override
Can you show exact settings in that menu? For me it rather doesn't work. Timer B and shutter time are jumping all the time, even if I try to change values.

ArcziPL

BTW: dfort, I tried your magiclantern-crop_rec_4k_70D_crop_rec_mo.2019Mar29.70D112.zip (copying only crop_rec.mo to my build)

mv720 3x3 binning option can be then activated and results in such footage:

Not really as expected but seeing your crop_rec.mo already doing something and what andy_kh managed to achieve, it looks like we are just few steps from presets on 70D.

I don't know how to bite it at the moment. Wanting to enable the 720 3x3 mode I

changed in adtg_gui
@@ -1077,8 +1077,8 @@
     {
         ADTG_WRITE_FUNC = 0x47144; //"[REG] @@@@@@@@@@@@ Start ADTG[CS:%lx]"
         CMOS_WRITE_FUNC = 0x475B8; //"[REG] ############ Start CMOS"
-        ENGIO_WRITE_FUNC = 0xFF2B2460;  // from stubs
-        ENG_DRV_OUT_FUNC = 0xFF2B2148;
+        //ENGIO_WRITE_FUNC = 0xFF2B2460;  // from stubs
+        //ENG_DRV_OUT_FUNC = 0xFF2B2148;
     }
     else return CBR_RET_ERROR;

changed in consts.h
@@ -255,4 +255,6 @@
// see "Malloc Information"
// #define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM   (*(uint16_t*)0x40452180) // ADTG register 805f
// #define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM (*(uint16_t*)0x40452184) // ADTG register 8061
+#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM   (*(uint16_t*)0x404e6180) // ADTG register 805f
+#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM (*(uint16_t*)0x404e6184) // ADTG register 8061

@@ -258,6 +260,6 @@

-// #define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_READ   (lv_dispsize > 1 ? FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM : FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM)
-// #define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_WRITE  (lv_dispsize > 1 ? &FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM : &FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM)
+#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_READ   (lv_dispsize > 1 ? FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM : FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM)
+#define FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_WRITE  (lv_dispsize > 1 ? &FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_ZOOM : &FRAME_SHUTTER_BLANKING_NOZOOM)

#define MALLOC_STRUCT 0xAFBB8
#define MALLOC_FREE_MEMORY (MEM(MALLOC_STRUCT + 8) - MEM(MALLOC_STRUCT + 0x1C)) // "Total Size" - "Allocated Size"

but the 720 3x3 option still didn't appear in crop_rec submenu. 70D is defined as is_basic, so I thought it should be enough.

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

andy kh

Quote from: ArcziPL on April 05, 2019, 09:21:30 AM
BTW: dfort, I tried your magiclantern-crop_rec_4k_70D_crop_rec_mo.2019Mar29.70D112.zip (copying only crop_rec.mo to my build) mv720 3x3 binning option can be then activated and results in such footage:

there is a very easy solution for this problem
5D Mark III - 70D

andy kh

720mv 3X3 bining 50fps from dfort's build

5D Mark III - 70D

ArcziPL

Wow, you timer settings do work! You managed 3k on 70D. :o Thanks a lot!

Quote from: andy kh on April 05, 2019, 09:22:27 AM
there is a very easy solution for this problem
Can you elaborate a bit more...? I tried using the complete build from dfort but the cam freezes immediately after powering on...

dfort, can you combine Andy's discovery with crop_rec? You seem to be the right person even without having the cam... :)

andy kh

Quote from: ArcziPL on April 05, 2019, 09:35:36 AM
Can you elaborate a bit more...? I tried using the complete build from dfort but the cam freezes immediately after powering on...

i use your build and replace crop_rec.mo with dfort's build and wala
for those lines the easiest solution is just scrol to 24fps once from 50fps in canon menu and scroll back to 50fps and wala
i think i have a problem with sd_uhs hack with it. i wil do some more test later as im goin out now....

720mv 3X3 bining 50fps

5D Mark III - 70D

ArcziPL

Hmm, now I see that 3k is already possible without FPS override (just the datarate is high) but in 5x magnification. Up to now I believed 3x zoom = 5x magnification with fixed live view but apparently it's not like that.

And the FPS timer B still jumps to the original value for me. It just has less influence on FPS if timer A is set to a high value.

andy kh

Quote from: ArcziPL on April 05, 2019, 11:42:56 AM
Hmm, now I see that 3k is already possible without FPS override (just the datarate is high) set to a high value.

fps override is for longer recording time
5D Mark III - 70D