Shoot calculator UI in ML (A New Year's dream?)

Started by timbytheriver, January 02, 2020, 06:15:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbytheriver

Would be nice to integrate the style/functionality of those bit-rate type calculators into ML – which then prepares settings to shoot with. Happy New Year all!  :P

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

names_are_hard

This is a cool GUI mockup (or you've recently gained godlike powers and will be releasing it tomorrow).  Needs at least 120 fps though.

timbytheriver

You can tell I'm not a 'proper' developer because I start with the UI as my inspiration...  ;D To each his own I guess.

But joking aside, working away from presets – and towards a single all-camera build that can accommodate any user's input (up to a specific camera's limits) is inspirational to me! Not so long ago 4K was simply a dream in search of realisation. 

If the current dev work allows for choice of resolution, bit-depth, binning, ratio, frame-rate etc., I can see edge cases for which a user might select 96fps (or 120!) if the final output is going to be a 20s 340p clip seen only on a mobile device! (Is this actually possible btw – or are we hitting the 5D3 card write speed limits?)

I know it's easy to reel off this functionality wish-list, and – having recently dipped a toe myself into developing – quite another to deliver it. :o But we all need a goal.

I guess I've just set mine pretty high! :)

Any 10cents?

5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2

names_are_hard

Quote from: timbytheriver on January 03, 2020, 10:01:50 AM
You can tell I'm not a 'proper' developer because I start with the UI as my inspiration...  ;D To each his own I guess.
You'd be surprised!  I've seen "work towards this UI goal" as the first step before in professional teams.  I will admit it's often a lot more painful if the UI design came from the marketing department...

I definitely agree that these tweaks should be put into a proper menu now they work pretty reliably.  I honestly like your GUI mockup.  I've got an M2 now so in theory I could work on this.  But I'm not going to until the 200D runs ML at least okay (I bought the M2 so I could compare code on a working cam, to aid in debugging.  But I have been helping Danne a bit in secret.  Don't tell anyone!).

eduperez

Quote from: names_are_hard on January 04, 2020, 06:51:25 PM
You'd be surprised!  I've seen "work towards this UI goal" as the first step before in professional teams.  I will admit it's often a lot more painful if the UI design came from the marketing department...

When you are developing a custom application for a specific client, you always create a mock UI first... "a customer only tells you what he wanted after you present him what he asked for".

timbytheriver

Hah! I wasn't so far off the mark after all! ;)

I shall expect a beta by Monday then!  :P
5D3 1.1.3
5D2 2.1.2