Need some help upgrading to 2.3

Started by ChimeraJT9, August 22, 2012, 01:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChimeraJT9

Hello everyone, I had some questions in regards to upgrading to Magic Lantern firmware ver. 2.3

My current version of Magic Lantern is Firmware Ver. 1.0.1-ml-2011Dec22 (I'm using a Canon 600D), and I understand that you have to have Canon Firmware 1.0.2 for the T3i to be able to use the current version of Magic Lantern. I read on the install Magic Lantern wiki page "To update to v2.3 from an earlier version, format your card(s), update to latest Canon firmware if needed, unzip new ML files and make the card(s) bootable"

My questions are, when I format the card I'm assuming you do that within the camera? And when I format the card, to update the cameras firmware to version 1.0.2 I can copy the firmware update file to my card and go though the normal updating process? Then afterward just go through the normal Magic Lantern set up?

My apologies if I missed something in the FAQ about going back to install original Canon firmware, I just wanted to make sure before I went on with my gut feeling and then mess up my camera. I've updated Magic Lantern before, I just never updated Canon firmware along side Magic Lantern.

Thanks!

he56ys5ysu7w4

Quote from: ChimeraJT9 on August 22, 2012, 01:58:58 AM
My questions are, when I format the card I'm assuming you do that within the camera? And when I format the card, to update the cameras firmware to version 1.0.2 I can copy the firmware update file to my card and go though the normal updating process? Then afterward just go through the normal Magic Lantern set up?
Exactly. And don't forget to Clear Settings.
Have fun!
Amateur shooting family stills and video
Gear: Canon 600D/T3i -- Sigma 30/f1.4 EX DC HSM -- Canon EF-S 15-85/f3.5-5.6 IS USM -- Canon EF 50/1.8 II -- V3 LCD Viewfinder loupe -- Velbon RUP-L40
Editing with LR3 and FCPX

ChimeraJT9

Quote from: he56ys5ysu7w4 on August 22, 2012, 06:09:56 AM
Exactly. And don't forget to Clear Settings.
Have fun!

Thanks a lot for your response! (sorry for my late reply)

Alrighty I cleared my settings and did a low level format to the card. I put my card into the computer and noticed there is still a MAGIC.CFG file, is there anything I should do to this file? Should I just ignore it and continue my 1.0.2 set up?

Just making sure, again thanks a lot!

ChimeraJT9

Never mind, I got it. No problems, smooth and awesome. :)