Playback of fps override videos

Started by jnish, August 22, 2012, 12:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnish

The T3i natively shoots 720p at 60fps. I would like to use ML to change that to 720p @ 30fps to get in more light and perhaps make the filesize smaller.  I'm not trying to go for timelapse.  However, since the metadata still reads 60fps, it plays back at double the speed.  I could re-render the video at half speed, but this takes time.

I was wondering if there is a way to either: (1) have the metadata accurately represent the filmed fps -is this what movie logging does?- or (2) somehow edit the metadata afterward so playback is at normal speed.

Any other tips for low-light videography greatly appreciated too!  I would love to be able to make a video like this http://vimeo.com/channels/5dfilm/6602274

Thanks!

barbar84

As far as I know you can just interpret your footage as 30fps. It will then play back at the correct framerate.
600D | 500D

jnish

Quote from: barbar84 on August 22, 2012, 12:59:19 AM
As far as I know you can just interpret your footage as 30fps. It will then play back at the correct framerate.

How do you "interpret your footage as 30fps"? I understand that's what I need to do but besides going into VLC player and changing it to 0.5x playback speed or using a movie editor and rendering the video at 0.5x speed, I don't know what else I can do.  It seems what is happening is the video player reads the metadata which says filmed at 60fps so it plays back at 60fps. So if this is what's happening, all I need to do is change the metadata (which even that I can't figure out how to do).  Otherwise, if it's actually a property of the video, then I guess re-rendering is the only solution, in which case I've figured out how to do with Windows Movie Maker.

barbar84

Correct, in that you need to do this in an editing programme. I just assumed that you would be doing some form of editing with your footage, as I never use any footage straight from camera. Sorry about that. I'm not sure how to edit the actual meta data.
600D | 500D

jnish

Haha, yeah.  All I would like to do is record my newborn trying to roll over, etc.  I am just looking for a way to do this in low light conditions by slowing down the framerate but without it looking like he's having seizures.  :)

he56ys5ysu7w4

Congratulations on the newborn.

Record in 1080 24fps, set shutterspeed to 1/48 and resize to 720 in post.
Amateur shooting family stills and video
Gear: Canon 600D/T3i -- Sigma 30/f1.4 EX DC HSM -- Canon EF-S 15-85/f3.5-5.6 IS USM -- Canon EF 50/1.8 II -- V3 LCD Viewfinder loupe -- Velbon RUP-L40
Editing with LR3 and FCPX