Set minimum shutter speed in Av mode

Started by he56ys5ysu7w4, August 18, 2012, 03:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

he56ys5ysu7w4

I'd like to be able to set a minimum shutter speed, and once the light level falls to a point that the shutter speed would drop below this, it increases ISO instead.
I think the 5D has this feature already but my 600D doesn't.

Possible?
Amateur shooting family stills and video
Gear: Canon 600D/T3i -- Sigma 30/f1.4 EX DC HSM -- Canon EF-S 15-85/f3.5-5.6 IS USM -- Canon EF 50/1.8 II -- V3 LCD Viewfinder loupe -- Velbon RUP-L40
Editing with LR3 and FCPX

Marsu42

Quote from: he56ys5ysu7w4 on August 18, 2012, 03:26:22 PM
Possible?

+1 for that, though it was requested before in the Google groups and I vaguely remember non-live view stuff is difficult. But fyi: Even on the 5d3 it would make sense in ml because Canon has set limited the max. min iso speed to a braindead 1/250s sec to protect their 1dx model, faster shutter speeds would make much more sense for tele shots.

From cpn: "When shooting with Auto ISO, in Program (P) or Aperture priority (Av) mode, it is possible the shutter speed could fall below a level that will allow sharp images. With the EOS 5D Mark III, you can set the minimum shutter speed to between 1sec and 1/250sec to ensure the slowest shutter speed is within a range that suits the subject you are shooting. To use this, go to the second Red shooting tab and select the 'Min. shutter spd.' option."

Mario81

I have not understood perfectly...

Can ML manage (adding) the limit "Min. shutter spd." also in old model?
IMO is very important feature, that the nikon camera have.

At least in LiveView...

scrax

the ML auto ISO function is good for that or not, have you tried it?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Mario81

Quote from: scrax on May 03, 2013, 01:00:29 PM

I have didn't found this feature, both in release than in nightly build.
Can you explain me how is possible activate it?

Thank you

Mario81

I renew the question with the hope that someone help me,
( I understand that the thread is for feature request but is related to it)

thank you

rubixcom

Having a minimum aperture in Tv mode would be great too.

New to ML, but loving it already.

Thanks,
Alfred

Marsu42

Quote from: scrax on May 03, 2013, 01:00:29 PM

Quote from: rubixcom on July 19, 2013, 01:49:14 PM
Having a minimum aperture in Tv mode would be great too.

"ML Auto ISO" has/had it, it's my #1 most valuable feature and I'm using it for 90% of my regular shots, but it was recently removed from ml because it's supposedly obsoleted by ettr (but this isn't the case, it's comparing apples with oranges).

I re-implemented ml auto iso as a module, you can find the pull request on bitbucket. I'm still working on some additional extras (like ec on m and a feature that honors max. x-sync in av), but I only have time for ml coding once in a while. Furthermore without making too fine a point on it I am doubful if this will get accepted by the real core devs at all, so if you want ml auto iso you should either merge/compile it yourself or use an older build rather than wait for a nightly.

xNiNELiVES

So is there a menu where I can set minimum shutter? It sounds as if the module will just adjust how auto ISO is used...

I'm at the pull request but I have no idea where the download link is. I'm at this page: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/124/ml-autoiso-module-some-small-changes-fix/diff

I know I'm a noob but: can't you make the module and make it available for download off of dropbox or something so I can test?

Marsu42

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 23, 2013, 04:48:43 AM
I know I'm a noob but: can't you make the module and make it available for download off of dropbox or something so I can test?

Unfortunately no, or I would have done so already: Most modules will need some hooks in the ml core code for model-specific functions, so you also need the appropriate autoexec.bin :-(

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 23, 2013, 04:48:43 AM
I'm at the pull request but I have no idea where the download link is. I'm at this page: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/124/ml-autoiso-module-some-small-changes-fix/diff

As a newbie this might be hard to do :-\ ... I don't see a link to diff my whole pull request, so you have to pull the official ml source code through mercurial, then pull my code on top of and merge: https://bitbucket.org/Marsu42/ml-mod1/overview ... or, to keep it simpler, pull my mercurial tree which isn't far behind and compile: https://bitbucket.org/Marsu42/ml-mod1/src

I hope sooner or later the core devs will come up with a policy what they merge eventually and where 3rd party modules like mine are kept if they don't want them in the main repository. But I don't want to pressure the point right now because the module system isn't 100% finished and I didn't understand if it's open to 3rd party contributions at all or if the modules are more of a way to refactor the core ml code by the core devs. We'll see eventually, but if you use an older official ml or my tree you'll at least find the "ML Auto ISO" feature in the menu again.

xNiNELiVES

Wouldn't I have to merge your code with a Autoexec.bin of a raw video build for me to be able to keep all the other new features? What program would you use to merge the code and compile (And all of the ret of the technical jargon). I mean, I'm not a computer moron, I've built my own computers and know how to use them. I just don't know how to code for shit... So far. It'd be a great talent to know. Anyways why couldn't you just do what you directed me to do? Not to be lazy or anything...

Marsu42

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 23, 2013, 07:36:19 PM
Wouldn't I have to merge your code with a Autoexec.bin of a raw video build for me to be able to keep all the other new features?

Yes, I'm also from time to time merging the newest ml code to my branch if I want to use new features.

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 23, 2013, 07:36:19 PM
What program would you use to merge the code and compile (And all of the ret of the technical jargon). I mean, I'm not a computer moron, I've built my own computers and know how to use them. I just don't know how to code for shit... So far. It'd be a great talent to know. Anyways why couldn't you just do what you directed me to do? Not to be lazy or anything...

I won't distribute binaries of my branch. Just learn to compile ml, there are good tutorials in this forum, and once you learned to do that you know enough about mercurial just to patch in my code. If you at the very beginning this will take some time to get to know the build system I'm afraid, or at least it did for me.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Marsu42 on July 24, 2013, 08:39:18 AM
Yes, I'm also from time to time merging the newest ml code to my branch if I want to use new features.

I won't distribute binaries of my branch. Just learn to compile ml, there are good tutorials in this forum, and once you learned to do that you know enough about mercurial just to patch in my code. If you at the very beginning this will take some time to get to know the build system I'm afraid, or at least it did for me.

Ok well I figured out how to compile the module (I hope I'm saying that correctly). How do I know which files to place into the module directory once I've used the simple command "make"? Do I just use the files listed in terminal?

What I don't understand is why development of magic lantern can't be done in windows or mac os x. Ubuntu isn't used to often...

Edit: Ok how do I download your source files so I can make them into an actual module...

Edit 2: Ok well reading back you told me that I want to merge your code with the up to date code (If I want it up to date, which I do). I have no idea how to do this either off of bitbucket. All I'm trying to do is get this module to work with my current auto_exec.bin that I'm using. Can't form a version of this module that is designed to work with the auto_exec.bin I'm using? Or does it not work that way?

Marsu42

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 26, 2013, 12:01:20 AM
What I don't understand is why development of magic lantern can't be done in windows or mac os x. Ubuntu isn't used to often...

I'm using Windows (msys/mingw) to compile ml. And unfortunately most (and my) modules need changes in the core autoexec.bin for model-specific functions ...

... to compile, first pull my branch ...

hg clone --verbose https://bitbucket.org/Marsu42/ml-mod1 ./ml-mod1 -u unified
cd ml-mod1

... and then update with the most recent ml trunk (there may be conflicts you have to resolve) ...

hg pull -r unified https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern
hg update unified

... and then compile. For this, please do look at the tutorials in the forum, since you're asking me questions that have been answered there I'm not going to walk you through it further. I'm sorry and please understand, I told you there is a learning curve and it won't be easy for an absolute beginner who isn't familiar with neither mercurial nor the ml build system, it also took me quite a while.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Marsu42 on July 26, 2013, 06:51:55 PM
I'm using Windows (msys/mingw) to compile ml. And unfortunately most (and my) modules need changes in the core autoexec.bin for model-specific functions ...

... to compile, first pull my branch ...

hg clone --verbose https://bitbucket.org/Marsu42/ml-mod1 ./ml-mod1 -u unified
cd ml-mod1

... and then update with the most recent ml trunk (there may be conflicts you have to resolve) ...

hg pull -r unified https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern
hg update unified

... and then compile. For this, please do look at the tutorials in the forum, since you're asking me questions that have been answered there I'm not going to walk you through it further. I'm sorry and please understand, I told you there is a learning curve and it won't be easy for an absolute beginner who isn't familiar with neither mercurial nor the ml build system, it also took me quite a while.

It's alright thanks a lot, I'll try this now.

xNiNELiVES

I got to "make" m42_aiso, the m42_auto worked fine. I get an error:

[ CC       ]   m42_aiso.o
m42_aiso.c:162:17: warning: initialized field overwritten [-Woverride-init]
m42_aiso.c:162:17: warning: (near initialization for '(anonymous)[2].help2') [-Woverride-init]
m42_aiso.c:217:1: error: expected identifier or '(' before '{' token
m42_aiso.c:217:1: error: expected identifier or '(' before '}' token
m42_aiso.c: In function 'm42_aiso_shoot_task_cbr':
m42_aiso.c:125:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
make: *** [m42_aiso.o] Error 1

xNiNELiVES

You know what Marsu, thanks so much for the help. I don't wanna bother you any more. I'll just wait until they accept the pull request.  :)

Marsu42

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 27, 2013, 02:02:53 AM
You know what Marsu, thanks so much for the help. I don't wanna bother you any more. I'll just wait until they accept the pull request.  :)

Good choice :-) ... I'm also going to add some other functions to the module, it is working/compiling right now (I'm using it) but as stated merging code & building ml is not your walk in the park :-\

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Marsu42 on July 27, 2013, 11:39:25 AM
Good choice :-) ... I'm also going to add some other functions to the module, it is working/compiling right now (I'm using it) but as stated merging code & building ml is not your walk in the park :-\

Ok great. Glad to hear that your adding new functions. Ever thought of renaming auto iso to auto exposure tweaks?

Marsu42

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 27, 2013, 07:02:47 PM
Ok great. Glad to hear that your adding new functions. Ever thought of renaming auto iso to auto exposure tweaks?

Wupps, I have to admit the error you stated above might have been on my side, after seeing that this won't get merged I got somewhat sloppy :-\ ... I just updated my branch with the latest ml trunk & fixed the typo in the autoiso module, it compiles fine here.

Concerning the rename: One of the core ml devs even wasn't amused when I renamed the menu items because legacy users might get confused, so I don't think renaming the whole thing is a good idea if this should ever get merged :-p ... about the new functions I'll see when I come around to it (ec on m and an option to try to stick to x-sync when using flash) - it's not really complicated but it always takes some time for me to get used hacking ml again, this is different if you work with some code every day rather than every couple of months.