Higher Bit Colour And Audio

Started by TiresomeToe933, December 08, 2017, 11:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiresomeToe933

Hi,

Apologies for the repeat as someone has wanted 24 bit audio which I totally agree with. I was wondering if in the future we could add more colour profiles (i.e. srgb, adobe rgb, ProPhoto rgb, DCI/P3, Rec 709 And maybe even Rec 2020 but that may be impossible due to hardware limitations), the ability to choose the colour bit (i.e. 16, 24, 32, 48 or even 60 bit colour but again hardware limitations). Audio could be done in higher bits again.

Walter Schulz

May ask which SNR numbers you got for the audio amplifiers implemented by Canon?

And which postprocessing software you are using to run 60 bit video files?

ilia3101

Quote from: TiresomeToe933 on December 08, 2017, 11:29:44 AM
I was wondering if in the future we could add more colour profiles (i.e. srgb, adobe rgb, ProPhoto rgb, DCI/P3, Rec 709 And maybe even Rec 2020 but that may be impossible due to hardware limitations)
RAW has it's own very wide colour space (all cameras are slihglty different) and can be transformed to any of those spaces easily in post processing if you use good software like after effects or Davinci Resolve.

the ability to choose the colour bit (i.e. 16, 24, 32, 48 or even 60 bit colour but again hardware limitations).
When RAW images are demosaiced, it is normally done in to 16bit(integer) or 32bit(float) per channel, so when you are running Davinci Resolve or Adobe camera RAW you will often have a "96bit" space (32bits x 3channels).

So yeah, the colour side of your question is solved since Magic Lantern existed.

dfort

...someone has wanted 24 bit audio which I totally agree with...

The only thing you will gain with this is larger file sizes. The AD converters and preamplifiers on these DSLR's aren't exactly the highest quality. If you are going for the best possible audio, use an external recorder. This is professional practice even for productions shooting on high end cameras that have 24bit audio.

I'll let you in on a dirty little film industry secret--many of the recordings we get in post were originally recorded in 16bit. This happens even on the $100+ million productions I have worked on.

Never heard of 60 bit colour -- enlighten us?