Log vs not Log in ACR profile

Started by wyrlyn, September 08, 2017, 11:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyrlyn

Hello guys.

I process my cdng raw seqences in after effects via ACR.
Does it make sense (I mean any improvement in DR or something) if I put them first in Log flat profile (for eg. Visioncolor profile in ACR) and grade it after that in ACR?

If so, what if I apply the log profile leave the acr setting untouched, save it in uncompressed avi and grade it in Premiere lumetri (What i really like the most)

Thank you for the answer(s).

kyrobb

If you're dealing with a raw file, it already has more information than a compressed file with a log curve. I'm honestly a bit confused. How are you able to "apply a log profile" as you put it and then open it in ACR? ACR deals with raw files only. It's in the name.

Lars Steenhoff

In ACR you can select a camera profile, Its where you can add custom profiles such as Cinelog.
Its better to apply the flat curve here if you want the most information.
and open the file in after effects as 16 bit. and do the grading there.
or as you said as uncompressed it also good. as long as the container has enough bitdepth ( not 8 bit )

JADURCA

Quote from: wyrlyn on September 08, 2017, 11:10:53 PM
...I process my cdng raw seqences in after effects via ACR.
Does it make sense (I mean any improvement in DR or something) if I put them first in Log flat profile (for eg. Visioncolor profile in ACR) and grade it after that in ACR?...

Hi @wyrlyn! Is there any great pro log profiles other than Visioncolor and Cinelog?