Commercial Aditorial Travel Project - ML RAW - 50p 3x3 12bit

Started by beauchampy, April 28, 2017, 02:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beauchampy

Happy to finally share this.

Shot just before the 4k updates came out. I used 50p 3x3 binning to produce a 1920x672 image that does not require stretching. I then scaled this up slightly to fit a 2.35:1 frame.

12-bit RAW. 1.1.3. Got around 21 seconds. Mostly Canon lenses. Graded in Resolve using FilmConvert.

Any questions drop a comment.

goldenchild9to5

jmanord

Wow, beautiful work! They dynamic range on some of those shots looks almost unreal. I don't think higher resolution would have added much to this, and your video reminds me how much more important content, composition, and proper exposure are than higher resolution.

beauchampy

Quote from: jmanord on April 28, 2017, 02:49:06 PM
Wow, beautiful work! They dynamic range on some of those shots looks almost unreal. I don't think higher resolution would have added much to this, and your video reminds me how much more important content, composition, and proper exposure are than higher resolution.

Thanks. There may have been one or two sky replacements in some of the beginning shots  ;) Not really due to lack of DR though - just because the weather wasn't quite what the client wanted.
http://vimeo.com/215188065

DeafEyeJedi

Wonderful use of 12-bit RAW (non-lossless, right?) and was this shot in 50p w 1920 50/60 3x3 from ML crop_rec.mo and not the 1080p 45/48 3x3 in one of the experimental builds, correct?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

hyalinejim

Great job Paul - nice light touch on the grading. I find FilmConvert to be a bit heavy handed at times - how did you work around this?

beauchampy

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on April 28, 2017, 05:46:27 PM
Wonderful use of 12-bit RAW (non-lossless, right?) and was this shot in 50p w 1920 50/60 3x3 from ML crop_rec.mo and not the 1080p 45/48 3x3 in one of the experimental builds, correct?

Bang on. Non-lossless 12-bit and 3x3 from crop_rec.mo (50p, 3x3).

Quote from: hyalinejim on April 28, 2017, 06:11:26 PM
Great job Paul - nice light touch on the grading. I find FilmConvert to be a bit heavy handed at times - how did you work around this?

You're right. When you first apply Filmconvert it tends to look muddy and underexposed. I fix this by immediately removing the grain (not sure why they deem 100 to be the default level), dialling back the curve a touch, lifting the shadows to about 103 and being meticulous with my exposure, highlights, shadows and WB settings in the Resolve Raw tab. Usually I end up bumping up the exposure slightly, even though I ETTR during the shoot (althought its kinda hard to ETTR with a HDMI EVF / Monitor when shooting 50/60 - no global draw! I had to rely on the scope in my SmallHD 502)

hjfilmspeed

sunnylookmedia

Amazing Work. Would be great to see more from you in future.

sigurdneby

eraizgn

Quote from: beauchampy on April 28, 2017, 02:29:42 PM
https://vimeo.com/210394991

Happy to finally share this.

Shot just before the 4k updates came out. I used 50p 3x3 binning to produce a 1920x672 image that does not require stretching. I then scaled this up slightly to fit a 2.35:1 frame.

12-bit RAW. 1.1.3. Got around 21 seconds. Mostly Canon lenses. Graded in Resolve using FilmConvert.

Any questions drop a comment.

I loved your video mate, congratz
I would love to ask you something about how should I do to update ml for 4k crop ?
Download crop update files and drag into the ml card at pc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

limey

Really impressive - especially the audio. All extra sounds recorded there or added via stock after?

beauchampy

Quote from: eraizgn on April 29, 2017, 12:08:18 PM
I loved your video mate, congratz
I would love to ask you something about how should I do to update ml for 4k crop ?
Download crop update files and drag into the ml card at pc?

Plenty of threads on here mate.
Quote from: limey on April 29, 2017, 03:42:48 PM
Really impressive - especially the audio. All extra sounds recorded there or added via stock after?

100% added in post.

eraizgn

Quote from: beauchampy on April 29, 2017, 04:34:07 PM
Plenty of threads on here mate.
100% added in post.
Yea mate, I know but I just wanna ask you :)

baksh

Beautiful video !

I got some problems, i tried your settings but i can only record 100/200 frames. Can you tell me more about your settings?
Thank you very much and keep going !

beauchampy

Quote from: baksh on May 03, 2017, 02:43:18 PM
Beautiful video !

I got some problems, i tried your settings but i can only record 100/200 frames. Can you tell me more about your settings?
Thank you very much and keep going !

It was 113, Jan 13th.
Canon menu: 720p / 50p
ML: mlv_rec, crop_mo, crop settings were 3x3 binning, aspect ratio in raw settings set to 5:3 which gives you 1920x672, set it to 12-bit raw
Cards were Komputerbay 1066x 128gb

You should get around 20s

pc_bel

Very nice video!!!
Congratulations!!!!

Great framing (I love it).

1920 50p 3x3 binning is for me the most wonderful feature from the last experimental builds. I'm using it a lot. Just wishing a centered and non cropped preview for best framing, but for now is fantastic. I remember few months ago, ask for slowmotion with this quality was a ofense, and now... Here it is!!!!
Thanks everybody!!!!!!

nretnalcigam

was this handheld or steadycam? some of your text could use a contrasting color instead of white. I have the audio off so I'll never know if shes a bride and actually got married.

pastels are perfect for the subject.

beauchampy

Quote from: nretnalcigam on July 21, 2017, 07:57:01 AM
was this handheld or steadycam? some of your text could use a contrasting color instead of white. I have the audio off so I'll never know if shes a bride and actually got married.

pastels are perfect for the subject.

A bit of both, it was about 80% shoulder mount, 20% ronin.

davilucho

First of all, you did a great video, seriously, well done.
I don't understand very well why you say that there is no need to strecht with  1920x672?? is it because the black bars??
And why you didn't shoot in 1920x800 2.50:1 aspect ratio 14-bit lossless? you can get continuous recording.

beauchampy

Quote from: davilucho on July 28, 2017, 12:15:09 PM
First of all, you did a great video, seriously, well done.
I don't understand very well why you say that there is no need to strecht with  1920x672?? is it because the black bars??
And why you didn't shoot in 1920x800 2.50:1 aspect ratio 14-bit lossless? you can get continuous recording.

14-bit lossless wasn't available when I shot this.

It was a 3x3 binning build that would let you shoot at 1920x672 unstretched.

davilucho

Thanks for your quick answer.
I have been using ML for the last months. And I have noticed that people have to exposure very very well, if you dont want to get noise/grain. I have read in this forum lot of topics about this issue with the grain. Some people posted that we need to overexpose to dont get noise.
How was your workflow during the shoot to get this clean images??
Thanks for sour help beauchampy

beauchampy

Quote from: davilucho on July 31, 2017, 05:08:05 PM
Thanks for your quick answer.
I have been using ML for the last months. And I have noticed that people have to exposure very very well, if you dont want to get noise/grain. I have read in this forum lot of topics about this issue with the grain. Some people posted that we need to overexpose to dont get noise.
How was your workflow during the shoot to get this clean images??
Thanks for sour help beauchampy

Yep - I also overexpose. I use the ML RAW histogram as well as zebras. I expose as hot as possible until I start to clip out highlights I want detail in, then I dial back 1/3rd of a stop.

davilucho

Thanks for your answer. I will make a test this week. By the way, i saw the videos of your vimeo channel. Congratulations they are brilliant

bpv5P

Wonderful. Really.
The dynamic range in some scenes is perfect (at least in my display), I can't see how it could be better (for human vision perception, not to some simple computer DR measurement).
Great job.