MLVFS + Davinci Resolve Black Clips

Started by tuckertota, September 01, 2015, 09:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuckertota

I converted some clips using MLVFS and Resolve to ProRes 422 without any problems.

I decided to go back and convert them to ProRes 4444XQ but now those same MLV files aren't loading right.

I can use MLVFS to create the CDNG folder, and I can view the individual DNG frames in finder.

But in Resolve, when I try to drag them into the media pool, there is a very long load time and then the clips are all black. It does retain their framerate, resolution, and length, but they're entirely black.

When I check back in finder for the CDNG files, it seems that MLVFS has quit working and they've been ejected.

Again these are the same MLV files that gave me no trouble before. Unfortunately I don't have any other MLV files to test.

I tried converting to CDNG with a Rawmagic and those CDNG files loaded fine in Resolve. Seems like this is an issue with MLVFS timing out?

I'm using the latest version of MLVFS and Resolve 11. Even tried Resolve 12 beta.

dmilligan

please check for MLVFS logs in ~/Logs/DiagnosticReports

tuckertota

Can't find any logs with MLVFS in the name. Is there any other way to create logs?

I read in the MLVFS sticky about splitting up the MLVs into smaller folders and this seems to be working. All of the MLVs together are about 100gb. So I split them into folders of about 25gb.

I've never had problems with MLVFS in the past but I guess this is the first time I'm trying to convert this many files at once.

Another note, some clips i can drag into the Resolve media pool, and they instantly appear. Others take up to several minutes to load. And I'm not seeing a correlation with file size. It seems random.

dmilligan

MLVFS has to index the MLV files (because frames could be out of order or in spanned files). Perhaps the files that went quickly had already been indexed. If a MLV file has been indexed it will have a .IDX next to it with the same name.

The FUSE library has a default timeout of 30 seconds, MLVFS probably took longer than this timeout to generate the indexes. I thought I had disabled this timeout though. When is the last time you updated MLVFS?