5DMark III and 5DMark II post processing (editing) in native 14bit RAW...

Started by pixies, May 06, 2015, 01:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixies

Hello, I am currently subscribing to the adobe creative cloud bundle.  I'm assuming Premiere Pro cannot edit the footage captured by these cameras at native 14bit RAW?  I don't believe Final Cut Pro, for the iMac can edit this either.  What is currently the cheapest, yet excellent NLE suite that can flawlessly edit these codecs..14bit RAW, 1920x1080 at 30fps.  And what is the minimum specs to edit this codec without dropping frames?  Regarding the minimum about of processor, memory, hard disk/flash, and graphics card?  Thanks.

Frank7D

Current Premiere should be able to edit cdngs. Therefore, you might want to check out mlvfs.

pixies

According to Adobe, Premiere Pro is able to edit the following tapeless formats natively only:

•Panasonic P2 (DV, DVCPRO, DVCPRO50, DVCPRO HD, AVC-Intra)
•Sony XDCAM, XDCAM HD, XDCAM HD422, XDCAM EX.
•Canon XF.
•Sony HDV.
•JVC ProHD (both MP4 and MOV)
•Canon Digital SLR.
•Nikon Digital SLR.

Frank7D

And yet, many people on this forum report successfully editing cdngs with Premiere Pro CC. Check out the link and see.

pixies

Is the cdngs a lossless format from the 14bit RAW original?  Do you edit RAW, and what do you use, if you don't mind?

QuickHitRecord

You can convert the MLVs from the camera to CDNGs and then edit in Davinci Resolve Lite (which is free).
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

pixies

Thanks.  I think I've heard of this software.  The free version which must be limited in features, whereas the full version is probably $1000 or more if I remember correctly?  Is that the most popular option here for editing RAW natively?

Frank7D

Seriously, you can edit cdngs in Premiere CC. It is lossless as far as image quality. MLVFS is one of several ways to convert MLV to cdngs, and it is probably the fastest since it actually frameserves virtual cdngs. Worth a look, imo.

pixies

I checked online, and can't seem to fine the specific details of the CDNG compression scheme.  The Mark III shoots at 100MB/s, and editing that would require a super fast ssd array, and a very large raid array of hard drives for storage, on a consumer PC, I'm assuming.  The Long GOP compression that was introduced back with the HDV format left a lot of visual artifacts.  I'd rather keep my footage as it was recorded in the camera.  Are there any NLEs that can edit MLV for under 1k?  I already have Adobe Cloud.

dude

Man, what kind of noob are you?
First, learn a little bit about filming, editing and stuff. After that, your questions won t be that silly like now.

pixies

No noobie here.  Can't you keep to the thread and explain the CDNG compression scheme, or do you "dudettes" just revert to name calling because you fermented your beer with wood alcohol, ...you're supposed to use grain alcohol, George.  This is a forum for DSLR nerd/enthusiasts.  No facts..see Walter, it's happening to me too.  It's the attack of the no facts all insults brigade again.

dmilligan

Quote from: pixies on May 06, 2015, 06:55:44 AM
I checked online, and can't seem to fine the specific details of the CDNG compression scheme.
http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/cinemadng/pdfs/CinemaDNG_Format_Specification_v1_1.pd

CDNG is not a 'compression scheme' or a 'codec'. It is simply a file format, and it is basically the same as DNG/TIFF with a few extra tags (for things like timecode and framerate). Basically you put a bunch of single DNG frames in a folder and viola it is a CDNG sequence. Premiere Pro can open specific flavors of CDNG. There are many tools available for free here on the forum that can create CDNGs in these 'specific flavors' from RAW/MLV files that can be read by Premiere Pro. The image data in a CDNG file is exactly the same as that in the RAW/MLV file (and the same as what comes directly off the sensor). The only real difference is that the file headers/metadata is in a slightly different format, the endianness is reversed, and each frame is it's own file.

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/2014/04/thenextpremiereproccrelease.html
Enhanced CinemaDNG support (including Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, Convergent Design Odyssey7Q, and CinemaDNG source settings)

With MLVFS I get realtime playback in Premiere of MLV files on a 2012 MacBook Air.

pixies

I'm am curious about the mlv workflow with current NLEs.  Is the mlv format just for short trailers?  And is the finished edited product put on a certain physical format?  Nothing that I know can play 100MB/s on any format for longer than just a few minutes.

Frank7D

MLV is what is sometimes called an "acquisition format;" it is the raw material (so to speak) for your project.  What your audience ends up seeing will probably be in a "delivery format" (not MLV). You have a lot of choices of how to convert the first into the second. This forum is probably not the best place to learn about delivery formats, but there are countless resources relating to that available on the internet.

dubzeebass

pixies

dubzeebass dood... GFY yourself too buddy.  Davinci costs 1,000.  Is that the only nle, why would I buy that if Premiere can do this.  TO THE moderator....many of these posters such as dubzeebass are using profanity like GFY, while I am being respectful on the other hand, simply asking a few questions, yet you are censoring and deleting my posts, when others are using profanity and their posts are not being deleted or modified.

Audionut

Good For You!!

Don't even play the innocent party.  Maintain respect (attack the post, not the poster) or leave, the choice is yours.

pixies

"Don't play the innocent party?" Really? :o Biased censorship behavior from the 'moderator' shouldn't be playing the innocent party' then either.  I've been respectful, a little sarcastic, but good natured nonetheless.  Why should I go just because someone's feelings got hurt for no reason,  :'( to then get censored?  ???  I haven't "attacked" any poster.  Posters sensitivity has really gotten outta control, though. :'(  That is not my fault.  Censor their hurt feelings instead.    :-X

Audionut

You were censored mainly because you've been labeled as a 4K troll.  There are so many posts scattered throughout the forums, FAQs and others that I've forgotten about that describe our feelings towards 4K questions.  I'm not even going to bother linking them for you.  Start reading some sticky threads.

Read this, and then read that entire page.

Actually, try learning to read properly first.  I didn't tell you to leave, I gave you a choice!

pixies

How could I be a 4k troll, I've only had about 14 posts so far on OTHER topics.  I've hardly been on this board.  So far it seems users post something you don't like, so you hit the dump button.  My posts are NOT just about 4k topics.  YOU should re-read better!  I'm posting under the 'Post-processing Workflow' section.  I asked questions about firmware, C500 and different lenses, editing with mlv and NLE options, and computer hardware requirements for real time editing, and various other topics!  But you are cherry picking a 4K question I asked.   ::)  Unwarranted nonetheless anyways.  Look at the facts first before you berate another user calling them "Trolls."  I thought you said attack the message, not the user, right?  Hypocrisy.  But of course, you seem to have to always be right being the moderator, so I expect you will delete this post as well, seeing that you lost this discussion, poorly.  Odds are you'll take the cheap and easy way out and censor this message, so you look better, as have been previously evidenced by your actions numerous times now, while continuing to abuse the moderators responsibilities.  Step down and let someone else moderate this board professionally, without the hypocrisy, and name calling. 

Audionut

You were sooking and complaining about being "censored", while others who are apparently using profanity are not.  I explained the reason why you are censored.

I then left you a helpful little hint, the second line of which reads, "When this happens, the worst thing you can do is whine about the experience, claim to have been verbally assaulted, demand apologies, scream, hold your breath, threaten lawsuits, complain to people's employers, leave the toilet seat up, etc......."

I'd be lying if I said I expected you to take the option where your account didn't get muted.