Canon T6s development?

Started by Faithfulzeus, April 02, 2015, 05:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faithfulzeus

Does anyone plan on developing for the upcoming canon t6s? If so, I plan on buying one and mailing it to the developer for a functioning version of magic lantern. It comes with a new processor, which hopefully means better compatibility with magic lantern.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1116103-REG/canon_0020c001_eos_rebel_t6s_dslr.html

Walter Schulz

Dev team made it pretty clear that as long there are unmaintained or blindly maintained ML builds it would be unwise trying to support newer cams.
And no offense, but please don't put sentences like "It comes with a new processor, which hopefully means better compatibility with magic lantern." here again. See FAQ -> Troll Questions section.

nikfreak

Regarding DIGIC6 I know that a firmware update is waited for as rom dumping seems to be difficult atm on dual-digic6 (should apply to 5ds 5dr 7dmk2). We might be lucky with single digic6 regarding that but there's no guarantee.

tell me, why would you prefer T6S (aka 760D) over 70D which has a port being worked on? Except CPU it will be almost identical like AF-system but would miss AFMA and the body should be minor quality compared to 70D, too.

If you still insist on T6s one may think about your offer but as Walter said the processor doesn't mean better compatibility. It's the other way round. Digic6 seems to use armv6 which would again lead to lots of difficulties first to get the make system to support both (ML compiles for armv5...)

Long story short: You should be aware that a port might take a very long time.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Faithfulzeus

I never said I had an even slight understanding of how magic lantern works, that's very clear.

As you've said, if it's unlikely, it's unlikely, and if it takes a long time, it does. I was simply offering the camera.

Quote from: nikfreak on April 02, 2015, 06:06:42 PM
tell me, why would you prefer T6S (aka 760D) over 70D which has a port being worked on? Except CPU it will be almost identical like AF-system but would miss AFMA and the body should be minor quality compared to 70D, too.

To answer your question: I honestly would prefer it simply due to the very slightly improved sensor, processor and cheaper price, that's it. But, as you insisted, I'll probably go with the 70D afterall.

Felipe

I prefer 70D build, plus bit rate goes up to 90 mbs, Bit rate for T6S goes only to 28 mbs, which makes it a very weak codec in post compared to the 70D.
In fact as far as bit rate is downgrade from T5i, T4i, or any other rebel.
However with ML bit rate can be increased, THERE IS ONE very important point where the T6s could be better if is real, is that has not Moire and aliasing.
For me that is Huge since Fabrics and textures are my main target as far as video goes.
I have overcome that problem with the T5i and T4i, using the Mosaic engineering filter VAF. But better not to have that problem to start with.
Because it does not work well at 720 only works well at 1080, and as all you know MLV can go to 720 max for clips longer than a few seconds.
Not to mention that 60P is only possible at 720 .
650D-700D

Felipe

Latest tests show outgrageous amounts of moire and aliasing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm9T4w78DXE
650D-700D