7D Stills Question-Nightly

Started by coryaycock, February 12, 2015, 06:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coryaycock

When I am looking at the screen before taking the shot, it looks fine.  Then, I take the shot and it's dark.  I have Expo. Override and ExpSim ON.  This happens from time to time in the middle of shooting with clients and I always have a minor heart attack.  Why is it doing this?  It only happens every once in a while.  I'm exposing correctly. 

walter_schulz

coryaycock

No flash.  What other details specifically do you need?

Walter Schulz

Imagine a second person wanting to reproduce your shooting ...
Begin with ML version and stop with lens.

coryaycock

As stated in the Subject title: Nightly

I don't think giving the lens will help, but Canon 100mm 2.8

White Balance-5300 K
ISO-160 to 320
Shutter Speed-125 to 200
F-stop-around 3.5
Picture Style-Neutral
Expo Override-ON
Exp Sim-ON

Everything is grey in the Movie module (FPS override-OFF)

Like I said, everything looks good on the screen until after I snap..then the shot looks dark.  It doesn't always do this, but happens enough to cause frustration.

Walter Schulz

At time of writing there are 184 different nightly builds for 7D. You may want to tell which one you are using.

coryaycock

I think it will be less painful to just live with this problem.  Thank you for your replies.

Walter Schulz

And a possible bug will not be handled. Not that great ...
Those things tend to bite back ...

dmilligan

What shooting mode? If it's one of the automatic modes, what exactly are the exposure parameters chosen by Canon, and do they match LV? What type of metering mode are you using? Does the issue happen without ML? And what's the real problem? Is LV too bright, or does the image just appear too dark in QR, or is it actually underexposed? What steps have you taken to resolve the issue (resetting camera/ML settings, trying different modes, etc)? Can you take a screenshot or video of LV and then also upload the corresponding CR2 you feel was "too dark"

coryaycock

I figured out what it was. Under the "Movie" tab I had "Vignetting" ON by accident.  Between shooting video and stills I always have to turn off FPS override for stills and must have accidentally hit Vignetting ON instead.  Thanks again for replies.

a1ex

The vignetting feature does not change overall brightness, so I doubt it's that.

If you enable expo override, make sure you are in M mode. You only need to enable this feature if you use a manual lens (to work around a Canon bug that underexposes the LiveView). If you are in some mode other than M, you must turn off expo override, as it no longer syncs with Canon values.

coryaycock

I have Expo. Override and ExpSim ON.  Everything is OFF in the Movie tab and it is working normally.  I am shooting in Manual mode.

a1ex

And if you enable vignetting, the problem occurs again?

coryaycock

I just tried it...
and when I enable Vignetting, it ups the exposure a bit in Live View, then once I take the photo, the exposure is darker (how it was before I enabled Vignetting.)

a1ex

The effect of vignetting correction should be pretty small, not enough to cause "a minor heart attack". From your wording, I expected a difference of a few stops in exposure.

Anyway, vignetting should have no effect in photo mode, so that's a bug.

coryaycock

Well, it's a noticeable shift, atleast on mine...maybe not "minor heart attack" but with a pay-client, it caused some alarm. 

a1ex

Fixed, but not tested. The bug was only affecting the 7D.

To test: leave vignetting enabled, and switch back and forth between photo and movie mode. Vignetting should have no effect in photo mode, but should work just as before in movie mode.

a1ex

Did the fix work? I didn't get a chance to test it.

coryaycock

Works for me.  Vignetting ON and OFF produces same exposure for stills.

Thanks for the help!

DeafEyeJedi

Tested it.

Works well.

Good work @a1ex!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109