After the shoot - Focus Peaking Garbage & Reseting the F-stop

Started by aegisdi, July 16, 2012, 09:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegisdi

Just finished filming two meaty dialogue scenes for my TV demo this Saturday, and I ran into a few problems that may have been addressed before.

1)  I was using an external HDMI monitor to set up the shots, but Focus Peaking didn't work displayed on the monitor.  Instead, the peaking appeared as random red pixel noise in the top third of the frame.  It worked when I unplugged the monitor.  I assume this has to do with the way the buffer outputs focus peaking to the smaller LCD on the T3i, and it doesn't translate to the higher 1080P resolution on the monitor?

2)  The Focus Zoom box works when used on the T3i LCD, but on the monitor it was just filled with black and white diagonal noise.  Is this also a buffer issue?

3)  This may be in the manual, but I can't seem to find it.  How do I reset the F-stop on an EF lens after I have pushed it up to F/22?  It doesn't loop back around to the lowest setting.  I have to break out of video mode and switch to manual to push the F-stop back down.  I wanted to use a lower F-stop than what the "Q" button was automatically choosing as we were using Cokin ND filters to compensate for background lighting.

Other than that I was well pleased with the current 2.2 revision of ML.  I shoot it using the Canon 50mm F/1.4 and the 11-16mm F/2.8.  The footage was beautiful despite the problems we were having with lighting and color balance.  I couldn't have done it with out the spotmeter and live histagram functions.

aegisdi

Well, 2.3 seems to fix the F-stop issue I was having with my lens.

And I am loving the vectorscope and the revamped menu system.

a1ex

What about the other two issues? On my monitor, peaking is perfectly aligned, and zoom works in all low-resolution modes. I don't think anyone needs it in 1080i, where the image already has full resolution.

bart

Hi Aegisdi,

Have you tried the shortcuts on you t3i? Toggle the DISP. button for that.
If you enable the set buttons, you get AutoWB on set
http://www.magiclantern.fm/101-articles/cat-camop/catshort/91-art-fast-operating-with-shortcuts