New here. Slightly frustrated. Please help :)

Started by Joe Gee Photography, October 11, 2014, 04:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Gee Photography

Hey guys, I've been thinking about using Magic Lantern for a long time with my 7D but I never messed with it until I recently upgraded to a 6D. It took me awhile to figure out why the sound wasn't playing in my videos but I finally got the videos saving to my memory card as MLV files.

-1- Now here's my first dilemma. I've tried several players and even converted the file to .mov and imported it into Premier Pro... but the video is stretched and I can't figure out how to make it look nice. The 6D has a max 40mbs write speed right? So what settings should i be using to get the best video quality while still being able to record for at least 15 seconds?

-2- On to my second problem... I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with these files and it's frustrating. I've been reading and haven't been able to figure out what's going on. I was able to convert the MLV file to MOV but that takes away the RAW settings, right?  I tried converting to DNG with a program called "mlrawviewer" but that just created a ton of image files. Am I really supposed to edit all those files, resave them and convert them back into a video file? What about the audio? 

Can someone help me understand what settings i should have and the steps I should take to being able to create a nice video?  :)

dmilligan

1. "stretched"? were you recording in 50/60 fps mode? simply stretch in your NLE by the amount displayed at the bottom of the ML menu (usually around 1.4x). Otherwise, please be more specific or post an example

2. Premiere Pro CC and Resolve can open these DNG image file sequences as "video" and you grade and edit from there. If the DNGs and the audio WAV file are named correctly, Pr will pick up the audio automatically. In fact if you navigate to the folder containing your dngs and wav in the media browser, it will all just show up as one video clip.

Canon eos m

The learning curve is a bit steep ... Or at least has been for me when using premier pro and rest of the Adobe suite. I therefore recently moved to learning how to use davinci lite 11 by buying the ripple training editing tutorial.

Like dimiligan said both pp and dv 11 will open the files as one video with sound. Mlviewer is fine for this. Another workflow could involve raw2cdng instead of Mlviewer to convert the raw / MLV video to individual cinema dng frames. Advantage is that you can get 12 and 16 bit data from the raw files .... Not sure if you can do the same on Mlviewer though.

Once the individual frames are available, it is as simple as getting your favourite NLE to import the individual frames as a sequence. The sound files will show automatically in the timeline ... The same as a mov file would.

The rest you know .....
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Joe Gee Photography

@dmilligan  -  Here's a screenshot. I'm not sure what you mean by "NLE".  I play the video and it's horrible quality and only covers part of what I thought I was recording.

@Canon eos m  -  So, If I can figure out my problem listed above... I should use raw2dng to convert my MLV files to DNG? Then import the DNG into PP? EDIT: I just tried that with a .RAW file I recorded earlier and it gave me a ton of DNG files but when I tried a MLV file, it didn't do anything.

Joe Gee Photography

I think I'll go get a better sample video tomorrow with better lighting.  What settings do you recommend for the 6D?  I think mine are just messed up.

Levas

Sounds like you're not only trying to learn how to use Magic Lantern, but you're also new to editing (raw) video.
Once you have your MLV files converted to dng's, the ML part is actually done.
You have a dng video sequence and now you need to edit it. That part is called raw video editing.
There are tons of good instruction websites or video's on the internet about how to edit raw video.

One program that can edit raw video dng image sequences and is available for free is DaVinci resolve lite, available on the support page of Blackmagicdesign.
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/family/davinci-resolve
If you're new to video editing, it will take time to find out how it works (so search for workflow/how to video's on youtube)

The screenshot you posted shows a video with 1280x 454 resolution. I think the odd vertical resolution is because you have your camera in 720p mode in canon menu(this gives an image that needs to be stretched vertically in post).
Better set the video resolution on 1920x1080 in canon menu. Then in ML raw menu, set the resolution to 1280 x 720. That way you get an image that doesn't need to be stretched vertically in post.

Joe Gee Photography

Ok guys.. i think i got the hang of it. I'm a pretty quick learner. I edited the files in Davinci Resolve and brought them over to Premiere Pro. I've only made 2-3 short videos in PP before, so I'm pretty happy with how fast im learning. What do you think about this video I made today?

I have a few problems with some of the videos though... I seem to have some weird colored boxes in half of the videos i took tonight.

http://joegeephotography.com/walk-in-the-park/

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

bennyray1

I noticed that your resolution is 1280x454, I am not really sure what the 6d is capable of filming but you should film in a higher resolution to at least stretch your clips to 1280 x 720 in your editor...also you might be filming in 1280x720 60fps mode in the Canons settings which could be giving you different mlv shooting resolutions in ML menu that are more adapted for 60p/50p captures.