Sample from my Thai Feature Film "The Black Death"

Started by adamy, August 03, 2014, 06:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamy

The Black Death (Thailand, 2015)

Non graded and graded footage from my Film "ผีห่าอโยธยา" (The Black Death)

Shot on 5D Mark III with Magic lantern 1.2.3 Nightly firmware on MLV raw
(MLV>MLVMystic>Davinci Resolve 10>Final Cut Pro X)
All footage here shot on Canon Cine Prime 24mm/50mm and 85mm.
The result was great, I love the character this lens give.
(This film also used Samyang 35mm and some Canon L lenses too which was also really good)

We shot this film on 3 Canon 5D Mark III Camera with always the latest nightlies (1.1.3 earlier into the production and now onto 1.2.3 Nightlies). We had some few problems with skipped frame on the first few days of the shoot but later on the problem disappear. As long as you keep checking the histogram and not letting the dark part goes below the 10% and the highlight part still in the histogram then it'll all be ok for the post people to work on it.

We had a lot of fun shooting the film with it. will share the video here once the film finish, still 50% to go. Canon (Thailand, Professional Product Department) asked us to do this video to show their professional clients the capabilities of the lenses and how far people can do tweaking their 5D Mark III (not that they encourage it, but they don't mind people doing that for the sake of good footage).

Director : Chalermchatri Yukol
DP : Chaitanya Kumar Kallakuri

Hope you enjoy it.  ;D

:: Give Maximum, Take Minimum ::

The Director

Canon Cine Prime it's great!)

...do you have shots with vertical noise?

adamy

Quote from: The Director on August 04, 2014, 11:58:31 AM
Canon Cine Prime it's great!)

...do you have shots with vertical noise?

The funny thing is that we always see them on the monitor most of the time and also on the MLRawviewer when we check the footage once we to the card reloading. Once we got it into Davinci, it all goes away ... there might be some vertical banding appear but as long as you have all the footage's dynamic range contain within the histogram, the banding will be at its minimum and can be easily grade it out.

But almost 99% doesn't seem to have any banding at all. Only 2 interior shots with less that average lighting that we find the little noise so far.

The rest of the footage I had tried to blow it up to 4K resolution and it's still give a stunning detail and sharpness. I was totally amazed by that.

Probably will stick with 5D Mark III (RAW) for a while after this (even to shoot the 4K stuff)

squig

The blacks look very crushed in the graded shots which gives it a very video-like feel. It's framed and lit well so with the right grade it could look much more filmic.

EDIT: I just read your comment on vimeo saying you're sending it to the lab, so I'm assuming you've deliberately crushed the blacks for a film transfer.

zacshome

what would you recommend a PC user to trans code their footage with? i have been using raw2cdng but i feel there must be something better out there

adamy

Quote from: squig on August 05, 2014, 07:37:47 AM
The blacks look very crushed in the graded shots which gives it a very video-like feel. It's framed and lit well so with the right grade it could look much more filmic.

EDIT: I just read your comment on vimeo saying you're sending it to the lab, so I'm assuming you've deliberately crushed the blacks for a film transfer.

Yep, we put the black point to the crushed point at the moment. Haven't figure out the perfect way to grade it yet as we still in the middle of the shoot and still change the look as we shoot along. But we didn't do it for the sake of film transfer as the film will be screen on 2K DCP (Thai Cinemas only accept 2K even though their equipment is 4K stuff).

I'll probably post another video once we finish working on the post production part. : )

adamy

Quote from: zacshome on August 05, 2014, 11:22:49 AM
what would you recommend a PC user to trans code their footage with? i have been using raw2cdng but i feel there must be something better out there

I'm not so sure about that though. Only using mac for the transcoding.

goran

I was wondering if you experienced skipped frames on long takes? From my experience, no matter what, .mlv will start skipping frames when used with external monitors on longer takes. I started a thread on this in the Raw forum and other users have experienced this. Using .raw it works fine all the time.
How long where your longest takes?

Thank you,
Goran

adamy

Quote from: goran on August 06, 2014, 08:19:37 AM
I was wondering if you experienced skipped frames on long takes? From my experience, no matter what, .mlv will start skipping frames when used with external monitors on longer takes. I started a thread on this in the Raw forum and other users have experienced this. Using .raw it works fine all the time.
How long where your longest takes?

Thank you,
Goran

It happened on first few days of shoot that it got skipped frame so much that we had to drop one camera off to wait for the next nightlies release. Our longer take would take around 2 mins but we did the precaution check by running every of our cameras with all equipment on for at least 15-20 mins and it all work fine.

Right now we didn't have any problem at all running the camera on MLV even if it's a longer take. Note that I'm using 128 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro (160MB/s). I think it's the fastest CF available by sandisk at the moment.

I'll do some elaborate testing on set next time to see if there is any specific problem with the external monitor attach.

squig

Quote from: adamy on August 06, 2014, 05:55:22 AM
Yep, we put the black point to the crushed point at the moment. Haven't figure out the perfect way to grade it yet as we still in the middle of the shoot and still change the look as we shoot along. But we didn't do it for the sake of film transfer as the film will be screen on 2K DCP (Thai Cinemas only accept 2K even though their equipment is 4K stuff).

I'll probably post another video once we finish working on the post production part. : )

I'm doing preproduction on a feature and I'm in the process of figuring out the best post path to DCP. Everything I've shot in the past was graded for REC709 output, DCP uses the XYZ colour space http://www.knuterikevensen.com/?p=540 I'm going to look for some DCP reference movie files and go in to a cinema at some point to view some dailies before I grade the whole film.

adamy

Just drop by to add some more videos in case you might want to see how well the ML firmware does.

LRF

adamy

Quote from: LRF on September 11, 2014, 12:55:21 AM
Nice work.

What maximum ISO did you use?

we tried to keep them around 400-500 most of the time ... it's the best ISO for getting the most dynamic range out.

I did some testing and found out that you can even push it to 1000 but I'm not gonna try that on set though.

The Director

It very cool!) Write please frame rate speed and shutter
When premiere of the film??

adamy

Quote from: The Director on September 12, 2014, 01:11:06 PM
It very cool!) Write please frame rate speed and shutter
When premiere of the film??

Normally we shot it on 1/45, 1/50 or 1/60 and the shutter between 3.2-8.0 (only on some shot that we shot at 2.8 ... nothing lower)

I don't know the premiere yet ... probably early 2015

dariSSight

Looks AWSOME, I see you guys didn't use Mattebox so can you let me know you Aspect Ratio of your film, your percentage of the film that you use the 50mm for and what is your final Resolution output from 1080p. I hope these are clear question, I just want to know my handicapp on my 5D Mark 2 to workout.
Canon 5D Mark II

adamy

Quote from: dariSSight on September 15, 2014, 11:53:21 PM
Looks AWSOME, I see you guys didn't use Mattebox so can you let me know you Aspect Ratio of your film, your percentage of the film that you use the 50mm for and what is your final Resolution output from 1080p. I hope these are clear question, I just want to know my handicapp on my 5D Mark 2 to workout.

The Aspect is 1.85. We used more 35mm and 85 than 50mm .... A lot of people like 50 but I prefer to use 35 as you get more background view and still keep the normal perspective. I also used a lot of 85mm as it would help soften the background more. 50mm only made up 10-20% of the film's choice of lenses.

The resolution output for screening is 2K DCI ... not that far from 1080p. I did some testing with 4K DCI and find out that it still gives a very good sharpness overall.

Hope this help : )

tonybeccar

WOW. Absolutely stunning photography... very professional work. A mark III with Magic Lantern that's all... I just want to give you a hug!!!

adamy

Quote from: tonybeccar on October 26, 2014, 04:10:47 AM
WOW. Absolutely stunning photography... very professional work. A mark III with Magic Lantern that's all... I just want to give you a hug!!!

Trying to convince more people to work with Magic Lantern here in Thailand. Many people are now move on to GH4 and Sony A7S so there are a lot of cheap second hand mark III around in the market. It's a good chance that we can buy them. : )

adamy

Here's the Finished Trailer and some behind the scene videos (not really a nice and detailed one, sorry about that) ... note that it's a bit underexpose in the trailer. Will work on the better version soon.

The Director

goldenchild9to5

This movie will be awesome.. Waiting for a Release Date.

goldenchild9to5

You guy's are doing genius work with the 5D Mark III Congrats..

jtvision

adamy

Quote from: jtvision on May 31, 2015, 07:21:57 PM
Stunning! Unbelievably Good!

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on May 30, 2015, 07:14:22 PM
This movie will be awesome.. Waiting for a Release Date.

Quote from: The Director on May 30, 2015, 03:30:48 PM
it's awesome!)
Release Date?

Thank you. The film is already release in Thailand, Cambodia and recently in Singapore. I'm not so sure about the other country though. However, the DVD release will come out in 1-2 months (hopefully blu-ray too !). The downside to that is the Thai version DVD will not have any English subtitle. Have to see if any international distributors gonna release the English subtitle one after that.