FREE FOR DOWNLOAD: AFX Script for mass converting MLraw DNG files to Video files

Started by SteveScout, June 25, 2014, 02:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveScout

That´s a build in feature - because once a sequence misses a frame ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) will stop importing at that frame and from then on does NOT recognize the sequence anymore - so you are basically importing every frame as a single frame afterwards, which is painful. So the script rathers tells you to manually check the file sequence (doubling a missing frame by just copying and renaming for example) before you run into the situation where you basically have to stop importing because of skipped frames when recording was done.

kaco

This happens if you fill the card completely, the last shot can miss few frames. You can disable this warning in the AE settings, can't you?

DeafEyeJedi

guys --

I know this is a long shot (at least for me) but couldn't figure out how to duplicate the issue when sometimes when I use 'SmartImport2' with AE and once the ACR pops up and I do the settings as I please then click on RUN. ACR pops up again with the next DNG and so on...

when sometimes the actual script would run through after adjusting in ACR just ONCE... I'm trying to troubleshoot this down to the point where it could be related to conversions within apps or perhaps I thought I may have been using a corrupted script so I did Reinstall this script again just to be sure that it wasn't the issue...

Perhaps one of you could point me to the correct direction regarding this script?

AE CS6 11.0.4

Thanks all!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

SteveScout

This happens normally only when you have a missing frame in your sequence. Then After Effects can´t recognize the folder as one image sequence and presents you every DNG individually within ACR. Check the folder for the overall number of file and the last filename (don´t forget to count the "0") and then check if it matches!

DeafEyeJedi

@kaco -- how would you disable this warning in AE?

I'm asking because it works fine with certain converters and sometimes w few others which shows missing frames error pop up window but I know I'm not missing a frame. Annoying at times!

DeafEyeJedi

SmartScript2 has been treating me very well lately... Thanks @SteveScout -- However, now I am curious what would be the best solution to get audio synced up properly for 50/60fps MLV files? It's literally almost half the size (although Audio sounds normal but it may be in 24/25fps length as oppose to the length of a 50/60) because stretching out the Audio file in the timeline doesn't help.

Thoughts?

anderSF

Hi all! Is this the go-to-script for someone looking to for a way to batch process DNGs and ending up with Cinelog-C ProRes-files, or has something new come up since december? How would I add the Cinelog V3.0 -> Cinelog-C conversion into the mix?

komunakavra

Frank7D

anderSF

This script is one function short of being perfect: an "Apply presets" tab, like you get with Batch Processor.

If only it had that, it could take care of all the processes one needs to go through in AE in order to end up with Cinelog-C ProRes-files w/ synced audio.

Anyway, thought I'd share my workflow for going from MLVs to ProRes 4444 XQs in Cinelog-C color space, in case anyone out there might be trying to figure out the same thing I was trying to figure out up until now (this is a Mac + MLVFS + AE-workflow, for non-Davinci-users):

>Mount folder containing MLVs with MLVFS
>In AE, use Smart Import 2 to import DNGs + WAVs and make sequences (but uncheck output modules)
>Adjust WB/exposure in ACR for each shot + set camera profile to Cinelog V3.0 (I've set this to be my standard for DNGs)
>Select all sequences created by Smart Import 2 (or the ones you wish to export, anyway), run Batch Processor
>Under the "Apply preset"-tab in Batch Processor, select a preset (that you have to make yourself, obviously) for going from Cinelog V3.0 to Cinelog-C using OpenColorIO
>Select custom output module (that you once again have to have created yourself) for ProRes 4444 XQ (that you can "steal" from a free FCP-trial and use with AE by following the steps that @RedDeerCity outlines in this tut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqXxg3lq3mY)
>Enjoy super-HQ, easy editible ProRes 4444 XQ-files (that haven't lost a single bit) in delicious Cinelog-C colorspace

Pretty standard, I know, but for a noob it took quite a while to puzzle all the pieces together, so I thought someone out there might enjoy finding a simple, straight-forward recipe.

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks @Frank7D for pointing me back to this thread regarding SmartImport2's incapability questions that I have...

I'm trying to use MLVFS + AE workflow ( I love using ACR ) and unfortunately DR 11 doesn't work for me on this Mac-Mini...

Thanks @anderSF for posting your experience and workflow ( I have installed and followed directions to gert OpenColorIO up to speed ) but some some reasons I can't get Cinelog v3.0 to Cinelog_C using AE be enlisted even after placing them in their respective folder...

Also how do I get the batch processor to work properly because as of lately I have to scroll down and select SmartImport2 after each MLV file I took from MLVFS mount... Is there a quicker way of doing this?

Especially when I have a preset setting saved in .XMP file that I can just apply to all within ACR which works well. Curious how much more I can get out of by using Cinelog though!!!

When I select custom output module I try to recreate for myself when using Lossless with Alpha but seems to be a no brainer to use ProRes 4444 XQ (I have both FCP7 and FCPX but not sure where I can 'steal' ProRes 4444 XQ from?

Thanks again guys for your help on this...

Frank7D

DeafEyeJedi,

Question: Do you have your MLVs in their own special folder? If not, you probably should.
If you do, when you are running smartimport2 and you select your import folder, are you selecting the folder one up from the (virtual) MLV "folders"? For example, assuming your MLVs are stored in a folder named "My MLVs" you would select "My MLVs" as your import folder, NOT an individual MLV. That's the way you should do it.

DeafEyeJedi

Meaning I shouldn't use the Mount folder from MLVFS? Instead I should copy these files into a new folder and rename it -- is that what you mean?

Frank7D

No, you do need to mount the MLVs so they become virtual "folders," but you shouldn't choose these "folders" as the import folder in the script. You should choose the folder that all your MLVs are stored in as the import folder. So, don't choose the folder that the DNGs are in, choose the folder one up from that.

DeafEyeJedi

Okay didn't know I can create new folder inside MLVFS mount and simply put these virtual folders inside the newly created folder and that should do the trick with SmartImport2 -- correct?

(wouldn't this affect the way MLVFS work properly, though?)

Frank7D

No, sorry, I'm not being clear.

Let's say you have a folder named "My Project subfolder"

1. Put your MLVs for the current project in "My Project subfolder"
2. Mount the MLVs using MLVFS (they become virtual folders containing virtual DNGs)
3. When you run the script, choose "My Project subfolder" as the import folder.

Now, every MLV should import sequentially without your having to run the script again.

Make sure you don't put anything else in the folder "My Project subfolder" or the script might have problems (the stuff that MLVFS and AE create in the folder is okay, though)

Edit: I'm on Windows, not mac, so I don't know if things work differently there.

reddeercity

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on March 30, 2015, 11:26:11 PM
but seems to be a no brainer to use ProRes 4444 XQ (I have both FCP7 and FCPX but not sure where I can 'steal' ProRes 4444 XQ from?
Unless you have been under a Rock for a while  :P
Look at The ProRes4444 XQ Thread !
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12455.msg142987#msg142987 Reply#62
I have been telling/Showing people on to do this every since July/2014
Here the Proof it works
It's a little long I ramble on , Sorry
Please **Note** the export to prores4444 XQ in After Effect only works in CC, not CC 2014
and the file from MLVFS work in the workflow.

DeafEyeJedi

@reddeercity:

Indeed, I have been under this rock for quite some time...  :P

I did read that particular thread awhile ago and I guess I just let it slip under my radar. Thanks for pointing this back to me!

However, regarding AE CC that I use is 12.1.0.168 (Not the 2014 version -- so I hope I have the right one?)

Thanks again!

DeafEyeJedi

@Frank7D:

Tried your method (although I have a feeling I didn't do this correctly)...

https://vimeo.com/123684646

reddeercity

DeafEyeJedi

well I'm sorry but as the video shows that it isn't really working...

Here's Part II:

https://vimeo.com/123685329

DeafEyeJedi

@reddeercity:

After thoroughly reading through your previous post per your suggestion. I did the following:

Creating a quicktime folder and placing the proper files in their respective spots.

My question is... is it a good idea to enable this XMP Metadata on in here?

DeafEyeJedi

Got it to work finally... Thanks @Frank7D!

https://vimeo.com/123691706

However, for some reason after succesfully exporting few projects earlier today and so many years of no problems -- until now I ran into an error where it says disk space unavailable thus unable to render out into ProRes. Also ran delete disk cache files as well as media cache files. Restarted Mac Mini.

Still to no avail -- Strange?

Error still persist and I am unable to render out my files until one of you guys can tell me another way of getting around this?

AE CC version:

Thanks.

*EDIT*

I decided to give it a try with AME CC and seems to be rendering... hope the results are okay. I still would like to get AE back in rotation though... any hints?

reddeercity

Can you Render just one File ? Strange thou you are only using 1% of your Ram
when I render I use at least 70% of my ram,  but I don't use the importer . My be check all your setting in the property tab
How big is your disk cache ? is multiprocessing enabled ? I know on my MBP it cause big problems won't render and other things.
Just some thoughts . 
Got your PM get back to you asap, in the middle of some green screen & rotoscoping .

DeafEyeJedi

Just tried with one file to no avail.

I set my disk cache @ 50GB I believe and No Multiprocessing is NOT enabled (I was instructed not to).

Thanks!