Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marekk

It's only autoexec.bin with modules.. It's not a full ML package.

Full package is available here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-7nnVbwzGVkNkRwMTNCMXBXQlU/view?usp=sharing

INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK

Mnemonic

Hi,

I don't understand something, that I guess you can answer in a second, so here goes:

Why are there a 1.1.3 and 1.2.3 version for the Canon EOS 5dmk3 Camera? They both require the 123 firmware version so I guess that is not the reason.

I would suspect that the 123 version is the newer one, but it seems that it is not being updates since the last nightly build is from August last year. I just installed the 123 version. Should I instead go with the 113 version?

Another think. Why is there no stable version anywhere?

Hope someone will take the time to answer my question.

/Brian

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Mnemonic on March 01, 2015, 06:47:52 PMAnother think. Why is there no stable version anywhere?

"Stable" is more than 2 years old and devs decided to switch to "Rolling Release" development model (Look it up in Wikipedia.) some time ago. 1.1.3 is supposed to deliver faster write rates (= higher resolutions). 1.2.3 supports all the fun stuff Canon decided to put in. f/8 with AF and some other things.

garry23

Walter/Alex

A related question if I may. As photographer I'm not interested in video, but, as I have a long lens I'm interested in focus at F/8, hence I changed to the 1.2.3 as soon as it came out.

However, as has been noted, only the 1.1.3 ML is getting refreshed.

Could someone please clarify if 1.2.3 will be brought up to date, or should I consider dropping back to 1.1.3?

Much appreciate any feedback.

a1ex

It will be updated at some point, most likely after merging fullres silent pics, maybe faster if @marekk submits a pull request. For now, I've downgraded to 1.1.3.

garry23

Alex

Thanks for the very quick reply :-)

I'll keep my eyes open for the 1.2.3 version, but might downgrade 'for fun'.

Cheers

Garry

atnugo

Hey everyone, quick question about external monitors.

I'm using 1.1.3 since ages and I've been following the 1.2.3 development since it's been released without feeling the need to upgrade.

I'm about to shoot a personal project using a DJI Ronin using RAW and the question of external monitoring comes. I know one of the benefits of 1.2.3 is clean HDMI out, but from your experiences, is it worth the upgrade ? I mean, is the 480p out from 1.1.3 really dirty and unstable ? And if I upgrade to 1.2.3, are there known issues with external monitoring, or will it work seamlessly ? Is there a thread dedicated to that (I've read the forum for hours).

Last observation about upgrading/downgrading firmware back and forth between 1.1.3 and 1.2.3. I've read that some of you guys do it on a regular basis ("happy swingers"), but I recall a1ex saying we might avoid doing that because each time it moves/removes/add code into the camera core and it can have consequences in the long run. Is that really critical or just a general guideline to avoid up/downgrading 5 times a day ?

Thank you so much for the work you guys have done and keep doing. I really hope to see a1ex getting back on it, and I hope I'll be able to contribute again to this fabulous project.

marekk

I didn't know there was a problem with switching from 1.1.3 to 1.2.3. I'm using fresh builds for 1.2.3 from the beginning without any issues. I'm using mlv_rec mostly..

brechstange

I do got a sound question. Im using ML for my 550d and now got a 5dmk3. Is there any way that i can switch the Sound like in the 550d ? To left internal, and right External ? Since i also want to use it for vox pops its every essential for me

Cheers
Brechstange

garry23

@marekk

There are no problems with 1.2.3, I've been using ML on my 1.2.3 5DIII since the it was first made available.

However, at the moment, the 1.2.3 build version is not being automatically updated in the nightlies, ie it has to be handraulically done.

But, as a photographer, I'm content with the version I have and can wait until the 1.2.3 build is incorporate.

joker97

pardon my ignorance - i had a look at 1.1.3 alpha 3 release notes and 1.2.3 bleeding edge -

which one is better? so is 1.1.3 now superior to 1.2.3?

garry23

Others will add to my humble view I'm sure.
Because ML is now on a rolling update basis, all you need to look for is the latest release for your camera.

Many cameras are automatically updated.

The 1.2.3 on the 5DIII is not.

That is my understanding.

lostfeliz

Regarding firmware 1.23 and clean HDMI out...

I shot a short last summer with 1.13 and lower res HDMI. It was challenging at times to focus. I shot most of it with a Canon 135mm and a Sigma 35mm Art. With the 1.13, at least, it was easier to recognize focus with the 135 because the fall off and bokah are very noticeable. With the 35 lens the lens softer so gradually, it could be hard to figure out when I had tack sharp focus.

After that short I upgraded to 1.23 and the focusing is way way easier. Still not always easy, but way better. The firmware has been very stable, too.

Us 5D filmmakers are relying on a beautiful challenging camera. A DP friend of mine, who shoots big TV shows, never uses a 5D cause the sensor makes focus a pain. When they throw a DSLR into the mix with the Alexa, they'd opt for a 7D. And nowadays he opts for the GH4.

atnugo

Thank you for the feedback lostfeliz !
I think I will update to 1.2.3 to benefit from the clean HDMI out. As you explained, not easy to pull focus on a 480p stream.

Have you noticed any problem while using 1.2.3 ? I generally don't record for a long time (2min at most) so it shouldn't be a problem. But I'm more worried about interviews that tend to last for more than 15/20 minutes, where 1.1.3 seems more efficient.

Thanks !

lostfeliz

I shoot with 64GB cards. When I shoot long take scripted, we can shoot an 11 minute long take in RAW at 1080/24. But if I'm shooting interviews, I shoot h264.

Not sure if there are issues shooting 20-22 minute 1080/24 clips with 128GB cards. There aren't any I know of.

Maybe if you shoot 720p you could shoot up to 30 minute RAW clips.

I'm not having any technical issues that are serious or cumbersome. Just the regular dreams for even more features, options and refinements from the incredible Magic Lantern team!

budafilms

Downgrading to 1.1.3
If someone are interested, check the explanation of the advantages and what not work in this version (HDMI out, Dual Monitor and F8 focus).

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14704.0

unfilmde

Good to see A1ex is busy again with the new build uploaded yesterday.  I'll load it today and give it a try!

Fioritura

Yesterday was my birthday! Literally :-)

unfilmde

itsDPmikey

I have used both 113 and 123 and what I can say is this.. ::)

1.2.3 to me was MUCH more stable(I know pretty Ironic), much!
I'm sure there are a lot that will disagree
but the experience for me with the 1.2.3 was good. If I set a shoot on specific settings and shot it I would not get any weird shit happening and If I set the same settings the next day I would get the same results. It was consistent and reliable.

With the 1.1.3 the experience is hard to put in to words. Its like one leg in and one leg out, at times I will get really good results and at times I will not so what I'm trying to say is that 1.1.3 is not really consistent with its results. And for that reason I can't do any professional work because I'm terrified of either getting frame skipping or pink frames etc..

Since I've downgraded to 1.1.3 I have gotten more crashes(frozen and had to take battery out) than I can count but I never got a single crash on the 1.2.3, EVER.

At this point i'm contemplating between which one I should stick with and haven't made a decision yet but the constant crashes in 1.1.3 is making me lean more towards on 1.2.3

BTW whats going on with the 1.3.3?

I love this &^*$ MAN!

a1ex

How to reproduce those crashes?

Are you sure 1.2.3 doesn't crash if you repeat the same action that crashes on 1.1.3? Can you double-check and do a proper bug report?

dubzeebass

With the newly released version I'm getting tearing and random colourful frames. KB64/1000x cards & 5d3. Anyone else? What do you need to troubleshoot?

a1ex

1. Find a way to reproduce.

Most likely this will not be something fully deterministic. Look for things like "if I record 10 videos, each of them 10 seconds long, with settings XYZ, about 2 or 3 of them will have pink frames".

2. Check if the problem still happens on the previous version (last summer). If yes, stop here.

3. Downgrade to 1.1.3 and see if the problem persists. If no, stop here.

4. Do a binary search to find the exact nightly build where the issue appeared.

Once that build is identified, we will know where to look.

swinxx

Sorry i am in a hurry, but I get those random colorful frames within a take with firmware 113 and the latest ml version. for me 123 seems also much more stable although 113 seems to record a little faster.

bayard1965

Hi,

I have on some tests shots, sometimes a bad frame, like a flash on the upper part of a frame using mlvrec from the last build from march 2015.
Raw Video / bad frames with using mlvrec from 2015Mar16.5D3123 build on 5d3

I did too test shots with rawrec recording: no problems
So i downgraded to 1.1.3, loaded the last build for 1.1.3 and make new mlv test shots and had same results, sometimes a bad frame.
Then i upgraded to 1.2.3 and used the last 2014 7 August version of the 1.2.3 ML firmware, and did mlv test shots again. No problem

I did a last test. i loaded again the 2015Mar16.5D3123 build but replace the mlvrec module by the one of the 2014 7 August version. Test shots. No problems, no bad frames.

It seems then related to the mlvrec module on the last build, for 1.2.3 and 1.1.3.

Any ideas?
I did too test shots with rawrec recording: no problems