Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

@Davdav: Literally thousands of Mac and PC users didn't have any problems unzipping ML files like you have. No matter which program is used ...
It is a pretty simple task to unzip ML contents. No features included which may cause troubles.

The problem must be related to your PC. After downloading the file, disconnect from the net, disable all additional firewall software, internet protection, virus scan and reboot. Then try to extract the files again.

Results? (After enabling all the protection stuff and reconnecting to the net, of course)

EDIT: You may want to download something like "MD5 File Hasher" and check if the checksum fits.

3c9eaa95c945fb73adc88571ab010eb4   magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug07.5D3123.zip

Sidneywish

Or you need space on your hard drive. You know, like half the hard drive size. Just saying.

Walter Schulz

To extract 1.6 MByte you have to stay below 50 percent disk usage? Let's say you are kidding, okay?

itsDPmikey

Quote from: budafilms on August 10, 2014, 11:18:45 AM
The only Idea before a Dev analysing your RAW file, it's about your discrete graphic card or your timeline fps setting.
The DNG's extracted for ACR and DaVINCI are the same, and as you say it's just a problem with Resolve.
I only use Resolve and with the last build and the lats before I don't have any problem like that.

Yeah it is definitely a davinci resolve issue. I typed in davinci RAw file flickering/frame skipping and I FOUND a bunch of people with same issue. So I'll have to deal with it by grading them in somewhere else other than davinci, sucks because I was just getting the hang of davinci. Well, I rather have a broken davinci than a broken camera so its all good.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

itsDPmikey

I love this &^*$ MAN!

itsDPmikey

Quote from: Stedda on August 10, 2014, 02:39:47 PM
Run a Card Benchmark those numbers stated by B&H/Lexar mean nothing...

the card is good, its Davinci Resolve. Found a bunch of forums on the same issue. I was watching some footages in my Premiere pro project. Some of my videos aren't flickering and some later ones(in the same project) are. So I was confused at first what was the difference between the earlier footages and the later ones. Ah I realized I graded them in 2 different places. Earlier ones in CameraRaw and later ones(flickering ones) in Davinci. A lightbulb went on and I did some more tests and walla it is Davinci causing the issue. So I uninstalled Davinci completely and used aftereffects and some extra plugins like red giant. I will probably get Davinci Resolve sometime in the future and I hope by then the v11 will work properly. Btw I was using the v10.

A BIG THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED AND TRIED TO HELP, THANK YOU AGAIN FRIENDS!
I love this &^*$ MAN!

Jazzepisode

Quote from: Jazzepisode on August 10, 2014, 11:05:03 AM
Hey guys,

I recently installed the nightly build from July the 30th and after that I keep getting corrupted raw photos out of my 5D mk III even after deinstalling Magic lantern.

They look like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7fpfi9otrgj89c/8U3A0769.jpg

So not all pictures are corrupted. Like 2 out of 10 are perfectly fine. My question is wether that is a known problem and how I can fix it. The embedded JPEGs from the raw photos are perfectly fine. The raw itself is corrupted. Because of this I don't think that the sensor is broken.

I deinstalled Magic lantern through the firmware update process and took the photo in the link above. Still corrupted. I uploaded the raw version of the photo too, so you can see for yourself: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgucqrl2pidj9q4/8U3A0769.CR2

The recorded raw videos were perfectly fine, without any corruption at all.

Thx in advance for every helpful answer

So after uninstalling Magic lantern I downgraded to official canon firmware 1.1.3 testwise. After that all the raw problems were gone. I got normal raw photos, like they're supposed to be. Then I updated to official canon firmware 1.2.3 normally and the problems were present again. So that means I got raw photo problems on 1.2.3 after uninstalling ml but on 1.1.3 they're gone. I think, that something didn't get uninstalled properly. The problems are not present in 1.1.3 because they ly in some area, which got affected by the 1.2.3 update.

Anybody got a hint for me, which infos I could provide, to help me out here?

vovkinson

did you try another card?

Quote from: Jazzepisode on August 11, 2014, 12:19:43 PM
So after uninstalling Magic lantern I downgraded to official canon firmware 1.1.3 testwise. After that all the raw problems were gone. I got normal raw photos, like they're supposed to be. Then I updated to official canon firmware 1.2.3 normally and the problems were present again. So that means I got raw photo problems on 1.2.3 after uninstalling ml but on 1.1.3 they're gone. I think, that something didn't get uninstalled properly. The problems are not present in 1.1.3 because they ly in some area, which got affected by the 1.2.3 update.

Anybody got a hint for me, which infos I could provide, to help me out here?

Jazzepisode

I tried another card. At first the pictures were corrupted too. But after downgrading and upgrading again, my SD card works somehow. My CF card doesn't though. I'm currently trying to format it with my pc, but I keep getting errors...

Before installing ml the card was fine. Is that a known problem?

vovkinson

I would try to format your CF card in PC and in camera.
For now - remove your SD card from the camera and play with CF card only.
One thing at time.
Quote from: Jazzepisode on August 11, 2014, 01:25:08 PM
I tried another card. At first the pictures were corrupted too. But after downgrading and upgrading again, my SD card works somehow. My CF card doesn't though. I'm currently trying to format it with my pc, but I keep getting errors...

Before installing ml the card was fine. Is that a known problem?

Jazzepisode

Quote from: vovkinson on August 11, 2014, 01:51:08 PM
I would try to format your CF card in PC and in camera.
For now - remove your SD card from the camera and play with CF card only.
One thing at time.

I formatted the card in pc and camera multiple times. The frames stay corrupted. My other two cards work fine now. It seems like I killed my CF card. Sadly it was an expensive one Sandisk extreme pro 64gb 160 MB/s.

I tried deleting the partition and making a new one, formating to exfat from scratch. Same problem

chris_overseas

The sort of corruption you're seeing is one I have experienced before. It is data corruption in the files themselves and doesn't necessarily indicate a camera or card problem at all. It can be due to a variety of reasons:

• Bad USB cables
  • Bad USB card reader
  • Bad USB port
  • Damaged memory card
  • HDD controller or HDD problems
  • Faulty RAM on your PC
  • Faulty camera
...and so on. Typically the corruption happens during the transfer from the card to computer, rather than on the camera itself. You can test this by reviewing the photos in the camera - if they look OK, and you can develop them in camera (using the 5D3 RAW development functionality), then it's easy to confirm the camera and card isn't the problem but actually the transfer process over to your PC. Conversely, if you see corruption on the camera without having involved the PC, then your camera and/or card is the problem.

I'd suggest trying different means of transferring photos to your PC (eg via USB from the camera itself rather than using a card reader, swapping USB ports and USB cables, copying to a different physical HDD etc) to try and narrow down the problem. Note also that you should NEVER use high speed UDMA 7 CF cards in a USB 2.0 reader - that can corrupt data on transfers, and in some cases even damage the CF card itself.

If you want to read more about this sort of corruption, there are various threads such as this one that might help: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/356898
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

Jazzepisode

Quote from: chris_overseas on August 11, 2014, 02:14:51 PM
The sort of corruption you're seeing is one I have experienced before. It is data corruption in the files themselves and doesn't necessarily indicate a camera or card problem at all. It can be due to a variety of reasons:

• Bad USB cables
  • Bad USB card reader
  • Bad USB port
  • Damaged memory card
  • HDD controller or HDD problems
  • Faulty RAM on your PC
  • Faulty camera
...and so on. Typically the corruption happens during the transfer from the card to computer, rather than on the camera itself. You can test this by reviewing the photos in the camera - if they look OK, and you can develop them in camera (using the 5D3 RAW development functionality), then it's easy to confirm the camera and card isn't the problem but actually the transfer process over to your PC. Conversely, if you see corruption on the camera without having involved the PC, then your camera and/or card is the problem.

I'd suggest trying different means of transferring photos to your PC (eg via USB from the camera itself rather than using a card reader, swapping USB ports and USB cables, copying to a different physical HDD etc) to try and narrow down the problem. Note also that you should NEVER use high speed UDMA 7 CF cards in a USB 2.0 reader - that can corrupt data on transfers, and in some cases even damage the CF card itself.

If you want to read more about this sort of corruption, there are various threads such as this one that might help: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/356898

Thank you so much. When I copied the files from the 'bad' card via camera cable, the picture files are ok. The card reader I used seems to be the problem, though the other card I have, which is the same, works just fine with it.

vovkinson

would you let us know what card reader you have so we won't buy it?
Quote from: Jazzepisode on August 11, 2014, 02:35:07 PM
Thank you so much. When I copied the files from the 'bad' card via camera cable, the picture files are ok. The card reader I used seems to be the problem, though the other card I have, which is the same, works just fine with it.

onlypapai

Friends, my new 5D MK III (Purchased only 3days ago) is ready. A Lexar 1066x 16GB CF is ready. Going to install the ML. Any tips?

onlypapai

Installed it. Running fine.  :) But I have no CF Card Reader right now. Waiting for tomorrow to upload in the PC. Result- 1920 x 1080 Continuous. Happy with that. 1920 x 1280 650 not continuous.

budafilms

Quote from: onlypapai on August 11, 2014, 06:34:34 PM
Installed it. Running fine.  :) But I have no CF Card Reader right now. Waiting for tomorrow to upload in the PC. Result- 1920 x 1080 Continuous. Happy with that. 1920 x 1280 650 not continuous.

Congrats!
Get the CF Card Reader and do nice videos!

onlypapai

Thanks Budafilms. I have only 16GB :-[. Battery getting low. A lot more investment is waiting for me.

Jazzepisode

Quote from: vovkinson on August 11, 2014, 04:19:41 PM
would you let us know what card reader you have so we won't buy it?

I used the transcend usb 3.0 one: http://www.amazon.de/Transcend-All--Multi-Kartenleseger%C3%A4t-schwarz/dp/B0056TYRMW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407787200&sr=8-1&keywords=transcend+card+reader

Worked fine for me for over 3 months, but not any longer as you can see. I'm thinking about buying the lexar one, but we're getting of topic ;)

budafilms

I have the transcend for more than 1 year and it's great! I use with CF, SD toquether. Any problem!

onlypapai

No, I have not formatted XFat. I'll try it today. I'm crippled as my Card Reader is not delivered. Anxiously waiting.

onlypapai

Does the camera temperature increase during RAW shoot? I feel a bit of heat from my cam.

JRL

Howdy

Hoping that A.This is the right thread and B.That someone can help.

I'm running the latest nightly build. My camera has started to stay in 'busy' mode if I attempt to take a photo after recording an mlv (ie. shutter won't release or if it does then last image it takes stays on live view and the camera no longer responds)

I can't recreate the problem every time but it is occurring frequently and sometimes when I just want to take photos, only in live view however. Has anyone had this problem before?

satotmp

Hi,I noticed that the screen is trimed in external monitor when global draw is on.
the top some line is hidden by a black line.

Can I remove the black line and get full pixel?

REAR LCD

EXTERNAL LCD

5D3 1.2.3+MLNightly.2014Aug07.5D3123.zip,

Markus

I get that problem if I start my external lcd after I start the camera but if it's already up and running when I turn on the camera that never happens.