Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

komeet

Quote from: TTGator on August 02, 2014, 02:11:28 PM
Yeah, actually that's exactly what it does.  :P  Had to go back and check.

No-mirroring only shows external monitor with overlays and the camera display is not used.

Could you share your version?  :)

TTGator

komeet

Quote from: TTGator on August 03, 2014, 04:33:03 PM
Give this link a try...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qlsin98mx5exde5/AACgJHocDzIjIeEr2BEFrIBga

And of course, at your own risk yadda yadda

thanks for the link.

I just checked it out and it works perfectly. ML overlays on the back of the camera and clean output on external monitor. Just awesome. Would be very nice to see this integrated into the nightlies!  :)

budafilms

achangsta

Quote from: TTGator on August 03, 2014, 04:33:03 PM
Give this link a try...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qlsin98mx5exde5/AACgJHocDzIjIeEr2BEFrIBga

And of course, at your own risk yadda yadda

I'll check this as soon as I can. Thanks for the hard work! From your tweaking, is there any way to select where the Magic Lantern overlays are displayed? For Example:

ML Overlays on: Camera
                          Monitor
                          Both

This would be amazing!

budafilms

Quote from: achangsta on August 05, 2014, 09:26:59 AM
I'll check this as soon as I can. Thanks for the hard work! From your tweaking, is there any way to select where the Magic Lantern overlays are displayed? For Example:

Monitor
                          Both

This would be amazing!

Yes, would be!
And the next set: 2.5K RAW and I will do a tattoo in my arm with the the letters: A1ex  ;D

a1ex

First two rounds of HDMI fixes will be in the next nightly build. It's not perfect, but at least it's a bit better than "totally broken".

Don't expect miracles.

TTGator

Quote from: achangsta on August 05, 2014, 09:26:59 AM

Monitor
                          Both

This would be amazing!

Yeah, I thought about that as well. Would be nice to be able to have it on both, but I thought it would need to be configurable because when people are using the monitor, they USUALLY won't be looking at the camera. If it were on the camera all the time it would be wasting a lot of battery when it's not wanted. So maybe I can try to understand the code that I built and see if there's a way to do that.

a1ex

I'm not sure it's possible to have overlays on both monitors - there is only one BMP overlay as far as could tell, but there are two LV YUV buffers (each one with its own size).

Not to mention the code complexity required for that.

jarandov

I wonder if anyone has problems with audio delay in ml files. I discovered that the sound is not synchronized in my recordings.

a1ex

Raw recording is discussed here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=49.0

(don't forget to check the first post before replying)

smazhing

Hi Guys

I've been wanting to try Magic Lantern for a while. The only thing holding me back was not being able to uninstall completely.

Just wanted to know if that problem has been solved for the 5D Mark III. If so I will give it a whirl and definitely contribute feedback.

Also, when downgrading to the old firmware, is there still that horrible sleep lag that people were referring to in the past?

thanks

drybsmt

Hi Everyone,

I am really green here and I have a 5d m3. I am not a programmer or have any knowledge to do my own coding.  I see on the main page that the most recent stable build is now 2 years old and does not list m3 as compatible. My question is, should I wait for a stable build that lists the m3 or can I safely install the latest nightly build.  I realize that I make the final decision and accept all responsibility but would love some guidance.

I saw a post asking about the issue of not being able to completely uninstall.  What impact will this have if I take out the card and want to use the Canon firmware afterwards.

jimmyD30

Don't wait for official stable release, else you may never install. The nighties are very stable, sometimes minor glitch, but fixed quickly.

No problem on complete ML uninstall including boot flag :)

drybsmt

Thank you JimmyD30, I will download directly.  I guess then I should log in regularly and get the newest nightly?

I have been reading the install guide and I would like to confirm that I need to install V2.3 first and then install the nightly build.  This should not be a problem even though 2.3 does not list M3 as a compatible camera?

Do I need to downgrade my canon firmware, install 2.3, upgrade firmware, upgrade ML?

Audionut

Quote from: a1ex on March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Installation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.2.3.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

comurit

Quote from: Audionut on August 07, 2014, 03:38:01 AM

Just follow the instructions from Audionut, it's very simple:

INSTALLATION OF MAGIC LANTERN
1. Make sure your Canon Mark iii has the latest firmware 1.2.3 installed.
2. Take out CF card from camera.
3. Format SD card and download Magic Lantern files builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
4. Select platform from drop down '5D3.123'.
5. Unzip the file 'magiclantern-Nightly and copy the unzipped folder contents 'autoexec.bin', 'ML' and 'ML5D3123.FIR' to the SD card.
6. Run the Firmware Update from Canon's menu.
7. After restart insert CF card and press trash can symbol to open Magic Lantern interface allowing a moment for installation.
8. Go to the Modules section in the ML interface and check these fields 'file_man', mlv_play', mlv_rec', mlv_snd' and then restart your camera.
9. The camera will now shoot Raw footage using the mlv codec.

Markus

Quote from: 4uAllIn on August 01, 2014, 06:33:14 PM
does anybody know where i can find the sticky shutter option?

thx in advance for your help and your great work to you all

Go to the wrench icon (Prefs.) Then under Misc key settings enable sticky HalfShutter.
Then press half shutter button halfway down before recording this will prevent the camera from thinking it's idle.

vovkinson

no guarantee. install it on your own risk. Nobody is gonna repair your camera.
Quote from: drybsmt on August 07, 2014, 12:38:03 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am really green here and I have a 5d m3. I am not a programmer or have any knowledge to do my own coding.  I see on the main page that the most recent stable build is now 2 years old and does not list m3 as compatible. My question is, should I wait for a stable build that lists the m3 or can I safely install the latest nightly build.  I realize that I make the final decision and accept all responsibility but would love some guidance.

I saw a post asking about the issue of not being able to completely uninstall.  What impact will this have if I take out the card and want to use the Canon firmware afterwards.

jchidley

I'm using magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug07.5D3123 and I've noticed an odd problem with my camera.  It refuses to turn itself on for short periods.  After turning on/off opening the battery door, changing batteries, it will restart.  This happens after I have left my camera for a while.  Sorry I can't be more precise in what causes it and what "fixes" it.

At first I had just assumed that my battery had run flat.  This happened several times today so I thought that ML was draining the battery.  No.  The battery was fine.  80% charged.

I have reverted to standard Canon 1.2.3 firmware and it's all OK.

Jack

Hans_Punk

Quote from: a1ex on August 06, 2014, 12:55:55 PM
First two rounds of HDMI fixes will be in the next nightly build. It's not perfect, but at least it's a bit better than "totally broken".

Don't expect miracles.

HUGE thank you for implementing HDMI monitor support in current build > magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug07.5D3123
I'm using Zacuto EVF monitor in non-mirrored mode to give me display that I'm used to having on rear LCD, enabling me remote framing with ML menu that is scaled correctly on the EVF.
The Zacuto has 5d3 camera scale preset that gets it displaying properly once the ML display aspect is set to 16x9TB display.

For me this is a very welcome breakthrough, as now (with this monitor at least) - the EVF can be positioned anywhere, while still giving all the familiar ML display and correct frame line scaling.

Great work A1ex and all supporting code wizards!

smazhing

Quote from: jimmyD30 on August 07, 2014, 01:00:36 AM
Don't wait for official stable release, else you may never install. The nighties are very stable, sometimes minor glitch, but fixed quickly.

No problem on complete ML uninstall including boot flag :)

Thanks Jimmy. Will give it a whirl once I wrap my project up next week. Thanks to all the dev guys for finally cracking that nut.  8)

Markus

Quote from: Hans_Punk on August 08, 2014, 01:11:54 AM
HUGE thank you for implementing HDMI monitor support in current build > magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug07.5D3123
I'm using Zacuto EVF monitor in non-mirrored mode to give me display that I'm used to having on rear LCD, enabling me remote framing with ML menu that is scaled correctly on the EVF.
The Zacuto has 5d3 camera scale preset that gets it displaying properly once the ML display aspect is set to 16x9TB display.

For me this is a very welcome breakthrough, as now (with this monitor at least) - the EVF can be positioned anywhere, while still giving all the familiar ML display and correct frame line scaling.

Great work A1ex and all supporting code wizards!

Yes this is great, works for me too =). But I have to choose 3:2 t/b for alignment on my Zacuto EVF. You sure about 16:9?

budafilms

BUILD 08/08

HDMI works perfect! and automatic when you turn camera ON.

Mirror: ML in LCD (Fantastic!) and Full Screen in LED Monitor FULL HD.
No Mirror: ML in the Monitor. BLack in LCD.

Continous recording MLV 1920x1080  25P (Computerbay 64 1000x) Global Draw ON.
1 Minute Recording MLV 1920x1154 25P

- No references BARS when you press REC (Is this correct?).
- MLV PLAY:  black screen with the name of files and frames counting (Bug?).

The best build up to date for me!

Congrats!

komeet

Quote from: Markus on August 07, 2014, 03:25:13 PM
Go to the wrench icon (Prefs.) Then under Misc key settings enable sticky HalfShutter.
Then press half shutter button halfway down before recording this will prevent the camera from thinking it's idle.

Does not work - at least for me   :-\