Chip level mod of Canon 5d mark iii to record SSD

Started by Ameet148, January 24, 2014, 02:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ameet148

Hi

I know that there are lot of guys searching for SSD recording for their RAW videos and none them find any solution to it.
I am thinking to open up my canon 5d mark iii and either add an extra sata chip by extending the motherboard or replace completely the compact flash chip with a sata chip, to record directly on SSD.Again this would need the SATA driver to be loaded into the firmware for the SATA chip to work.

Am also thinking of RAID setups putting multiple SSDs to speed it up to record raw upto what ever max resolution it takes.

All these things are risky and will take a lot of work, am thinking of hiring couple of guys to do it ,although I can do it myself excluding the firmware part.

Am looking forward to you guys about what you think about this project, and is it even possible or even if it's possible to what extent it can be done?

Regards
Ameet148

Kharak

I have absolutely no idea but I am very excited about this.. I just love the idea of how much of a beast mk III has become and then further mutating that beast...

I'm all ears! :)
once you go raw you never go back

IMF

I have contacted someone about this who found a CF to IDE adaptor.  OWC sells an IDE SSD that writes at 250MBs.  Not sure how far he got but this would be amazing.  I will post info if he is up for some kind of collaboration.

mageye

5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7