I'm in trouble

Started by Octavio79, January 24, 2014, 05:25:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavio79

I think I deleted something off my CF card and now I can't get my camera back on. I could really use some help right about now. I've been using ML on my Canon 5D Mark II for almost two years now. I've never had a problem before. Can anyone help me with some trouble shooting? I really need my camera up and running before tomorrow.  :-\

Audionut

Install ML on the card again or remove the boot flag.

Octavio79

Ok I think it might be because I'm panicking, but I'm having trouble thinking. How do I remove the boot flag? This is what I've done so far, which is probably really stupid but I just started doing all sorts of trouble shooting on my own. I couldn't get the camera on so I reformatted the card on my computer and put ML back on the card and that didn't work. So now I'm trying to google other steps to take.

Audionut

Octavio79

Yeah that's what I've been reading for the past 20 minutes. This might be the end for my camera.

Audionut

Follow the instructions as if it's the first time installing ML.

Octavio79

I'm not understanding. I don't know how I would when I can not turn the camera on.

Audionut

Even with no card in the camera?  The battery has charge right?

Octavio79

Yes I've tried several different batteries. All I did was accidentally delete some stuff on my card and after that nothing, just a dead camera.

Octavio79

I tried pretty much everything now and I think I'm going to have to call it. Time of death: 11:00 PM

hjfilmspeed

oops i hit mark unread im sooo sorry i ment to hit reply

whoa whoa whoa. did you try formating the card on another 5d mk 2 start over and make the card boot able with the ML tool with all new files? where you running nightlys or were you runing 2.3? and were you using any usb controllers at any point in time? you should also move this to the cam emergency department. a hundred questions but when you noticed it wasnt turning on was your first step to pull the battery? i hope you didnt just turn off the cam.

check this out too and DONT PANIC! Its your worst enemy look at these links

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2221.0

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0

try turning the mode dial to c1 and see if she boots

Octavio79

Yes the very first thing I did was remove the battery. And I don't have another 5D to format a card. And yes I was running a nightly build with the particular card it happened with.

Octavio79

Not sure how to go to cam emergency department. I'm about to walk over to the 24 hour Walgreens to buy a small screwdriver and remove the clock battery and see if maybe I can reboot the camera. I'm running out of options at this point.

hjfilmspeed

no go to the links i provided. and scroll through other issues that people have had first. Then try the diagnostics. Did you try putting the mode dial to c1 and trying to boot? go to the links i provided and check this out.

https://vimeo.com/groups/magiclantern/forum/topic:255083

http://www.reikan.co.uk/photography/blog/?p=1550

Octavio79

Yes I've pretty much done all of the above. At the moment I have both batteries removed and I'm hoping that the Canon Gods will be good to me and maybe I can at least get the camera back on. I work on Apache helicopters so I'd like to think I'm good at troubleshooting. So I'm just going through all the options you guys are giving me. Oh and yes I did try turning it on with the dial on every single setting.

ted ramasola

do you have access to another canon dslr? any model that takes CF card.

Format your CF in your PC card reader.

Then format that in a canon dslr.

Then back to your PC and make it bootable with eoscard.

Then insert back to your camera.

or.

Do you have another CF card without ML that was last used in your 5D and still has the directory structure of DCIM, etc? If so,

make that bootable with eoscard.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Octavio79

That was one of the options I first tried, I didn't get any positive results. I've had both batteries out for the past 45 minutes and I just placed them back in and still nothing. At the moment I am looking for a new camera to replace this one because this was my workhorse. I used it for everything! I've had the new Blackmagic camera for a while now and I still use my Canon 5D for most of my video. I have a photo shoot tomorrow so at least I have a 7D I can use till I replace this one. Thank you everyone for your help! Good night.

Walter Schulz

You didn't answer one question: Do you were able to format the card? Prefered method is with a cardreader connected to PC/Mac. If not available it may be done inside a camera without bootflag set. It doesn't have to be a Canon cam.

nanomad

Take a long walk then get back to me via PM. We are going to fix it if possible but a panicked user is of no use to anyone.
And no, I'm not jocking about the walk
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

g3gg0

thanks nanomad.

generally for the audience:
- deleting files off the card will not kill your camera at any time
- if you accidentally deleted files, either ML wont run or the camera wont boot as long you leave that card inserted
- removing the card will give you a fully functional camera

but what we already had:
- millions of installations that worked for years without any problems
- a few single occurences where the camera really died, but this was in no case related to ML
- those cameras which died would have died with and without ML at this time
   (iirc it was the power supply, the card slot or anything else that isnt related to ML at all)

this just as a side note :)
now good luck to you and nano to fix or track down your issues.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

hjfilmspeed

Right. In this case if he has done everything suggested then i cant see how it is related to ML at this point. As far as im concerned ML is pretty darn bulletproof. Im running the nightly builds and aside from the very rare bugs i have encountered (probably user error anyway) I really trust ML. Yes they put up there warnings and what not but from all the "bricked cases" i have seen it was related to a bad install (not in this case i know) and it was either fixed or it was unrelated to ML Hope the best for you!!!! You will no doubt get it working if its not hardware related.

Octavio79

I figured out what happened because I have done it again with my Canon 5D Mark III. I will post what happened and how I fixed it once I am absolutely sure I have the proper solution.