[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 5D Classic Firmware ** Beta 4 **

Started by coutts, June 14, 2012, 04:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikoshet

Not working on mine  :( Rear buttons dont work, only if I action one of the 4 buttons on upper LCD I can change ISO, drive mode etc Shutter speed and aperture seems to work half of times..
Sorry for my english!
5d mk3, 5d mk2, 7d, 550d, gh4

neoa

Tried it but it didn't work for me. I got the solid blue light but couldn't get the ML menu to come up. Most buttons at the back didn't seem to work.
EOS 5Dc n 1D3
Canon 24mm 2.8 - Canon 35mm 1.4L - Canon 24-105mm F4L

Nismode

Same issue with me. First time, no rear inputs would work, no info in viewfinder. Removed battery ut in regular card, worked fine. I didn't take the opportunity to disable/re-enable the bootflag by way of firmware update however (how can you do this with a reg card w/no autoexec.bin file?).

Quote from: coutts on July 25, 2012, 01:46:45 AM
Sorry about that, this is confirmed an issue now due to the link I had up for making the card bootable. Tomorrow I will make the installer write the bootflags to the cf card (like ML does for other cameras).

Just to clarify, your camera was not bricked there. It is only a "soft brick", pulling the battery and putting a good card in fixes this. I guess the mac program to make bootable cards doesn't write the correct flags.

edit:
i guess it's not working even using the make_bootable.sh script... something is wrong here :(

imme

"The 40D, 450D, 1000D and 5Dmk1 are similar in hardware they run vxWorks."

CAN I USE THIS BETA ON MY CANON 40D as they are similar in hardware??????  :)

coutts

Quote from: imme on July 27, 2012, 06:51:34 AM
"The 40D, 450D, 1000D and 5Dmk1 are similar in hardware they run vxWorks."

CAN I USE THIS BETA ON MY CANON 40D as they are similar in hardware??????  :)
not at all, there are way too many differences between the cameras. someone with a 40d needs to port ML to it.

valadorf

Hey Drew!

I'm still getting the same result as before (soft bricked state).

I'm using a Sandisk Ultra II 2GB CF and on the camera (FR 1.1.1) the only sensible marking I could give is the model = DS126091 (could it be possible that hardware components vary in some?).

I get this flashing thing problem with identical ESC (electric speed control) when some chips are made from a different supplier.

below is the video how I'm installing the latest beta build, hope it helps solve the kinks (somehow)

Still looking forward to the next batch, Keep up the good fight!

a1ex

If you have problems running it, and you can assist us for one or two hours via chat, please contact Coutts or me via PM.

On some cameras the startup sequence seems a bit different, but on others it works just fine (confirmed) - so, to diagnose this, we need a camera that doesn't work with beta1. We'll add some LED blinking sequences until we locate the point where it freezes.

coutts

I need users who test this to please PM me their serial #s (both the DS one and the longer # one), along with telling me if it worked / didn't work for them.

I'm beginning to think maybe there is some new revision in 5ds and only the old ones work.

bot

Hi,
tried this on my 5D, DS126091 - No. 0530309457. The update went well, solid blue LED. Then same problem as some of the above, buttons on the back does not work.
The ML card makes the camera blink twice when inserted, no blink when closing the card lid.
Non ML card blinks once when inserted and twice when the lid is closed.

Great work! Would be nice with some extra features on an old but still really good camera.

walta

Guys, just tested mine - SN 3821XXXXXX DS126091

Got same results as others. Blue light came on solid. I pulled the battery - restarted and the back buttons dont work.

Pulled battery, formatted card, restarted and all is well again.

Walt
Canon 5Dc and 400D

coutts

Quote from: walta on July 28, 2012, 01:53:09 AM
Guys, just tested mine - SN 3821300458 DS126091

Got same results as others. Blue light came on solid. I pulled the battery - restarted and the back buttons dont work.

Pulled battery, formatted card, restarted and all is well again.

Walt
It sounds like serial numbers that start with numbers > 092 dont' work, so only the oldest 5dc can run it. Hmm. I need to figure out where the boot process is being held up at in newer models.

xdesigngroup

I am ready for next BUILD... It is working for me.
I am not sure that the current BIN makes CF bootable.
Try to make that using EOScard.exe....

walta

Quote from: xdesigngroup on July 28, 2012, 09:47:32 PM
I am ready for next BUILD... It is working for me.
I am not sure that the current BIN makes CF bootable.
Try to make that using EOScard.exe....

Yours must be one of the early ones. Did you post the serial and DS numbers here?

Walt
Canon 5Dc and 400D

walta

Alex/Coutts - if you want any more testing done - let me know.
Canon 5Dc and 400D

xdesigngroup

Alex already have my serial. It is collected.
DS126091
Serial: 0720503926

vscd

I heard there are 2 different kinds of 5D around. The first one had a very poor LCD-Screen which was later replaced by another one (same specs but better). For example described in here (http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-5d-mki-with-bad-lcd-display-what-to-do-t16925.html. It could be that there were some minor internal changed made after replacing the screen. This is just an idea, don't know if it's related to your problem with booting on old or new devices.

coutts

Quote from: vscd on July 31, 2012, 02:03:17 AM
I heard there are 2 different kinds of 5D around. The first one had a very poor LCD-Screen which was later replaced by another one (same specs but better). For example described in here (http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-5d-mki-with-bad-lcd-display-what-to-do-t16925.html. It could be that there were some minor internal changed made after replacing the screen. This is just an idea, don't know if it's related to your problem with booting on old or new devices.
the problem is this isn't an issue on any other camera, so nobody knows how to fix it (basically how it's been the entire time porting to the 5dc...)

walta

Quote from: coutts on July 31, 2012, 03:03:42 PM
the problem is this isn't an issue on any other camera, so nobody knows how to fix it (basically how it's been the entire time porting to the 5dc...)

I like your earlier thought

" I need to figure out where the boot process is being held up at in newer models."

Maybe build a version with debugging output for all the boot process actions to a file on the CF card and one of us with the newer model can run it.

Canon 5Dc and 400D

peterrr

Please don' give up, Coutts and Alex, you are so close. I'm very excited about the prospect of getting ML working on my 5DC.

coutts

Quote from: walta on July 31, 2012, 10:34:22 PM
I like your earlier thought

" I need to figure out where the boot process is being held up at in newer models."

Maybe build a version with debugging output for all the boot process actions to a file on the CF card and one of us with the newer model can run it.
I'm still trying to think up a solution, don't worry ;)
The problem is I can't put LED blinks anywhere in that early boot code, or else the camera doesn't boot.
Also, I can't use file i/o until vxworks is initialized so it's way too early in the boot process to do that. hm..

mtothex

Nice Work. Thanks.

It´s working on my 5D.
Camera Body No.   0630308531

Greets Markus

coutts

It looks like if your serial number starts with something less than 093, then it will work for you. I just don't get what could be different between 5d classics to make ML not work, if they all use the same firmware version / updates :|

talk about a headache..

walta

Quote from: coutts on August 03, 2012, 03:20:14 AM
It looks like if your serial number starts with something less than 093, then it will work for you. I just don't get what could be different between 5d classics to make ML not work, if they all use the same firmware version / updates :|

talk about a headache..

Heres a thought. I use the Canon SDK to write EOS apps and don't quite understand the difference between how that works and how the ML software works. But heres an idea.

If we could write something using the SDK that queries some camera settings and writes to the logfile. We could run it on the old models and the newer models and see what the difference is.

I could write the app but I have no idea what camera configuration settings to look for.

Make any sense? At lease the app could run and connect to the camera and not hang up. Just not sure what we could look for.

Walt

Canon 5Dc and 400D

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

walta

Quote from: ilguercio on August 03, 2012, 01:00:35 PM
What can you do with the EOS SDK?

Its the "official" Canon authorized way to write software for the EOS cameras. You can write software that controls the camera and downloads images - like Zoombrowser and EOS Utility.

But you can't add new/hidden features like ML can.

Canon 5Dc and 400D