MLP – Magic Lantern Processordownload_sourceuser_guide
Forum discussion regarding MLP starts here MLP_discussWord of advice. All processes should be run separately. Keep different files and processes separated if not stated otherwise. It,s all up to you to test and validate this workflow. I leave no guarantees. It should be treated as beta.What,s MLP about?
MLP works with the following files:- RAW/MLV to dng conversion. Files workable in DaVinci Resolve(embeds audio) and Premiere Pro
- RAW/MLV and folders of dng files to ProRes4444 files
- Dual iso CR2 still images are converted to workable DNG files with correct white balance applied
- HDR processing of both MLV/RAW and H264 mov files
- HDR processing of CR2 still image files
- Dual iso dng sequences are processed automatically coming from RAW/MLV files
- RAW/MLV/dng/DNG/mov previewer
By right clicking a folder, containing any of the above mentioned files, and when selecting MLP from the contextual services menu to specified folder two additional folders will be created prior to running any further processing:- A_dan_log_3d_luts- A_lut_hold
By adding these folders you are able to add or change different settings before continuing processing such as white balance, brightness, gamma, add different luts. You are also able to change settings for HDR processing.
Adding setting files is easy. Simply pick something from the “A_dan_log_3d_luts” and put it in the “A_lut_hold”. Open up the txt file and change setting and save. Then start processing you files. The tricky part is to find the right combinations for how you want your files to be processed.
Whatever setting you create will be viewable as preview tif files if right clicking a RAW,MLV,dng,DNG or mov file directly. For more in depth information the user_guide
above is highly recommended.What you need
You will need some additional files to have MLP fully functional, FFmpeg among them. If you follow the HOWTO.txt
in the download package you should be good to go. For doing changes in dng raw files dcraw(Dave Coffin) and exiftool(Phil Harvey) and exiv2(Andreas Huggel) are used. Mlv_dump(g3gg0, A1ex) raw2dng(A1ex) and cr2hdr(A1ex) for developing dng files. For creating prores dng files are piped to FFmpeg(Fabrice Bellard) via dcraw. (FFmpeg not included in the download). For additional functionality see Howto.txt in the download folder.
For creating 3D luts I used Ben Turley´s cool tool online LUTCalc here https://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCalc/
Thanks to dfort for the tip which lead to being able to have all processes run from the same path. Also for testing and working out ways with the dead pixel fix function in dcraw and detecting a dual iso seg fault which now A1ex has fixed. For feedback and bugtests as always thank you deafeyejedi and dfort.
MLP is an open source project(GPL).
Main reason for this workflow is to optimize processes and get around issues arising in cr2hdr-r when upgrading to OS X El Capitan.
The workflow itself is build around bash scripts run through an automator service. You install it by double clicking the MLP workflow.
The best way to learn MLP workflow is to work with the user_guide.
All MLP sources are in the download. You can easily add changes in the scripts yourself. Add changes in the source_code_MLP folder then double click the A_move_content_to_workflow.command before installing MLP. More about this in the “Howto” file.
MLP still uses the core philosophy from cr2hdr-r but processes are optimized and gives a lot more possibilities to change settings manually. I rewrote the way HDR files are being treated and added some white balance templates. Processes are still multithreaded.
Many ideas and solutions are coming from people here at the forum, stackoverflow and other forums. I tweaked and optimized almost all scripts to fit the way I want it to work. MLP is still a work in progress and everything is open for changes.
A1ex, g3gg0, Dave Coffin, Phil Harvey, Fabrice Bellard, Bouncyball, dmilligan, cpc, chmee, Scrax, Jerrykil, Dubzebass, Kichetof, Baldavenger, Andy600, Baldand, dfort, deafeyejedi and others I might forgot to mention here.
GPL (magic lantern)http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13335.msg128757#msg128757
cr2hdr-r automator app workflow NO LONGER MAINTAINED!
Use MLP instead. For further questions regarding cr2hdr-r please pm me.
- Transcodes MLV/RAW to folders. Dual iso movie files also supported. Dng files will work both in Davinci resolve and Premiere pro CC(thanks cpc for repackto16bit binary)Additional
- ProRes444 creation
- HDR movie (thanks to Jerrykil script)
- CR2 dual iso to DNG conversion
- 3d lut support
- speed_preview (adding speed and ability to preview one frame)
thread starts around here (lut_lab version)
Always run the app from the parent folder!
- cr2hdr-r creates two additional folders (HDR_RAW_MLV and PRORES) inside the parent folder on first run, then the app quits.
- Place files in parent folder or in the created subfolders or in all three of them.
- Run the app again from the parent folder and it will convert first from parent folder then search the created subfolders for files.
All RAW/MLV originals will be placed in ORIGINAL folders after conversion
About created folders
- Transcoding MLV/RAW files. Dual iso is supported. dng files will work both in Davinci resolve and Premiere pro CC (Thanks @cpc for 16bit repacking binary).
- Dual iso CR2 files. If adobe dng converter is installed it will reduce the size of the resulting DNG lossless.
PRORES folder (ProRes444 creation)
- Creation of ProRes files.
- White balance control when using silent pic DNG or adding a CR2 with desired WB.
- add 3d luts in the mix(up to 20 luts can be used)
- FFmpeg binary needed for ProRes encoding. You find it here http://ffmpegmac.net/
The binary must have the name ffmpeg and have to be placed in /usr/bin/ folder on your computer
More speed and previews
- cr2hdr_r_lut_lab version will install a "speed_preview" workflow. Simply right click the parent folder and run "speed_preview" from services and it will add an extra process to PRORES and HDR_RAW_MLV_MOV folder. If you run the speed_preview by right clicking a mlv/raw/mov/MOV file you get one preview frame from the chosen file. Add CR2 for white balance and add a 3d lut for preset looks.
3D lut support
- Added lut support. add lut inside the PRORES folder or in subfolders together with the RAW/MLV file
- Hardcoded flat looking 3d lut when transcoding dual iso ProRes files. Thanks Andy600.
Up to 20 extra 3d luts can be added. When running the app the first time it creates some additional folder. Inside the PRORES folder some luts and a text description will be provided.
White balance handling
Preferred workflow in PRORES folder is to add one or more CR2 files( for white balance) and/or up to twenty 3d luts to you files.
Brightness, white balance, denoiser
Change above settings by adding commands to a generated png preview.
works with speed_previews
HDR_RAW_MLV_MOV folder Updated 2015-09-16! here
Place HDR MLV/RAW footage(48, 50, or 60 fps) in folder and it will transcode to a .mov file.
Place a .MOV HDR file and it transcodes to a merged .mov file
More info here
FFmpeg binary needed for HDR encoding. You find it here http://ffmpegmac.net/
The binary must be named ffmpeg and have to be placed in /usr/bin/ folder on your computer
All processes are multithreaded!
Thanks Andy600 for provided dual iso luts and N/A for updated dcraw compiles, cpc for DNGRepackto16,
Deafeyejedi and others for tests and feedback.
What is it
Cr2hdr-r relies on script made in bash calling for different binaries through an automator app. Most of the scripts have been gathered and tweaked from users here at the ML forum. The app is also provided as an automator workflow. The processing is done the same for both alternatives.
Main interest for starting this was for fast dual iso conversion(multithreaded) and to apply same levels(prevent flicker) using exiftool, to dual iso movie files but as it emerged it is now a sort of an ”all in one” processing solution handling above files.
Collect all the files you want to convert into a chosen folder. You can add multiple MLV, RAW, CR2, dng, MOV files. They will be converted one after the other. While processing an ORIGINALS folder will be created and original files will be moved to this folder after after processing is done.
*Good to know
Regarding format RAW. If filmed with spanned files such as R.00, R.01 etc the app will automatically cat these files and after the cat process start converting and then erase the spanned files replacing it with the concenated file. I personally I don,t see any reason to keep the spanned files after conversion since you get a new big file instead.
Why use it
I consider it a laid back all in one processing solution taking care of many of the magic lantern processing needs.
Fast conversion of dual iso dng movie files and dual iso CR2 files (multithreaded).
Exiftool adds back metadata to processed MLV and RAW(fps) files. Also applies the same white level to dual iso movie sequences to avoid flicker.
Audio is shortened(sox) and wav metadata added(bwfmetaedit) to fit with autolinking in DaVinci Resolve.
HDR .MOV files which is converted multithreaded(thanks to Jerrykil).
dual iso movie thread http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12796.msg123437#msg123437Recommended(mac)
MLVFS - dmilliganhttp://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.0
MlRawViewer – baldandhttp://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.0
Lightroom plugin cr2hdr - Kitchehofhttp://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11056.0Thanks
This is a great community. No scripting or any creation around this workflow would be possible without the community, and a special thanks to these guys.
Great thanks to A1ex, g3gg0, (cr2hdr20bit, raw2dng, mlv_dump.)
Andy600(dual iso log_lut), @cpc (DNGrepackto16), Dmilligan, Baldand, Kitchehof, Chmee,
Scrax, Jerrykil, Dubzebass and others I forget to mention.
Tester(s) for feedback.
And of course the other authors of the included binaries.
I think of this as an open, sharing community. I learn and pick up stuff along the way.
This project is me learning scripting and creatng a personlized workflow.
I have no commercial interests. If any questions please feel free to pm me.
GPL (magic lantern)http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13335.msg128757#msg128757Source