Ida Hospital, Urbex - 5D mkIII Raw Flickering Frames

Started by catnip, June 10, 2013, 12:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catnip

IDA 2013

Here's a short I shot this weekend in an abandoned hospital in Leeds. This was my first urban exploration and my first time working with Raw footage, I loved the trip but am even more engrossed by Raw's capabilities.

I'm finding this flickering and change in exposure/highlights on quite a few sequences though. Shooting on a 5D mkIII, June 5th ML build, Komputerbay 1000X 64GB, 1920 X 720, 23.976 fps override. Is there anything else I must be missing that's causing the flicker?
Thankfully it lends itself quite well to the nature of the film, but obviously I need to tackle this before I shoot again.

Shot on a Tokina 11-16mm & Glidecam 4000.

thefix

Nice experiment, you definitely have the horror movie look going on with that clip. I was waiting for something to jump out from behind one of those corners. I did notice the flicker you mentioned but like you said, it blended well with the film. I will be interested to see if anyone else has had this issue.
600D

Shield

Quote from: catnip on June 10, 2013, 12:44:48 AM
IDA 2013

I'm finding this flickering and change in exposure/highlights on quite a few sequences though. Shooting on a 5D mkIII, June 5th ML build, Komputerbay 1000X 64GB, 1920 X 720, 23.976 fps override. Is there anything else I must be missing that's causing the flicker?

Couple of questions for you.

1.  Do you still have the extracted DNG files directly from the raw?  If so, open them up in something like FSviewer or some other photo viewing app that supports DNG files but does NOT use Adobe's ACR.  I'm finding that there's not only a bug in the 2012 process version but I'm getting flickers directly with the DNG files.

2.  Are you shooting full manual, including having the ISO set manually?  Not "A" mode, "S" mode, etc.

3.  Do you notice these flickers more when you zoom?

Shawn

adamweinberg

i am also experiencing flickering, usually in highlights, occasionally in shadows. i read about one user thinking it was Adobe Camera Raw causing the issue, and that the problem didn't persist after switching to Resolve (see comments - http://vimeo.com/67721426). i personally don't own Resolve and am wondering what other workflow options i have? i currently go rawmagic -> AE CS6 -> ProRes -> FCP7.. other workflow options would be greatly appreciated.

otherwise, gorgeous footage! curious what you used for stabilization.

Scheme2Cream

Thankfully it lends itself quite well to the nature of the film, but obviously I need to tackle this before I shoot again.

Shot on a Tokina 11-16mm & Glidecam 4000.
[/quote]

Wanted to follow up on this, did you ever find a fix for the flickering frames?
I've been having issues with the flickering frames.

It's cool if you're shooting sky or something but it gets annoying if it's a low lit scene and the highlights randomly flicker

nandoide

Hi, on 6D (ML version, but in TL it's the same thing) I've perceived a pair of days ago some flickering with fps override when I adjust the shutter speed to 1/600 and up. Mostly at very high shutter speeds. The effect is notorious even on the screen on liveview. That implies no post-processing issue. Of course all exposure settings manual.

After more close investigation I can say:

1) With fps override off,  no issue

2) With High Jello setting no issue

3) With all other settings it's NOK. But with  High fps sometimes ok sometimes nok. Switching modes helps to get OK on high fps mode.

4) Only issues on 1x. At 5x. all OK.