Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sergiolopes

Hi Guys,

I've just install ML on my 50d.
Something wrong is happening: the card led blinks constantly when the camera is powered off, I have to take out the battery in order to stop (but if I put the battery, the led starts to blink again).
I've tried with other card and same problem.
On the last try, I installed the last nightly build and the problem doesn't disappeared.

Could you help me, please???

Sérgio

a1ex

More details needed:

- number, frequency and color of the blinks (a video is even better)
- if you start ML with default settings (from a freshly prepared card) and shut it down, does it turn off properly?
- if you start ML by holding the SET button at startup (ML loaded, but inactive), and shut it down, does it turn off properly?
- if the last two answers were "yes", you can start enabling your usual settings and narrow down (figure out which setting causes the problem)

sergiolopes

Quote from: a1ex on June 08, 2014, 09:11:07 PM
More details needed:

- number, frequency and color of the blinks (a video is even better)
- if you start ML with default settings (from a freshly prepared card) and shut it down, does it turn off properly?
- if you start ML by holding the SET button at startup (ML loaded, but inactive), and shut it down, does it turn off properly?
- if the last two answers were "yes", you can start enabling your usual settings and narrow down (figure out which setting causes the problem)

Hi A1ex, thank for your support!
Actually, it's a red light and blinks each second (aprox).
If I start ML with default settings (from a freshly prepared card) and shut it down, the camera doesn't turn off properly, same problem. And I tried with different cards.
I did the test, and start ML holding SET. Shut it down and the problem continues...

Thx

a1ex

I'm out of ideas, can you show a video?

sync24fps

Hello 50D enthusiasts! I've recently upgraded to the Canon 5D mkii and am now selling my beloved ML RAW 50D cinema package.  If there is anyone interested in an extra 50D or in the market to buy one, this package is very complete and has only about 10,000 Shutter clicks on it. 

The package includes:

Canon 50D Body
Original Canon BG-E2 Battery Grip
Six (6) Canon BP-511A Batteries
Two Canon CG-580 Chargers
Canon DS8111 AC power adapter

I custom rigged this package out for cinema use...extra batteries (for outdoor shooting) and a power adapter for indoor shooting (don't have to worry about batteries).  Price with everything included is $525.  I accept Paypal.  E-mail me for more info at [email protected]   Thanks!

podkan

I got problem with ISO and shutter setting, it doesn't change actually (there's no difference on the LV when i set another vaule of iso or shutter). Whats wrong? Maybe sth in the canon software is set not right or something. ISO is setting automacily even when i set the value myself.

Help please :)

LEVISDAVIS

On the first page of the menu...

Do you have "Expo.Lock" turned on? If so, turn it off.

- - Make sure "Expo. Override" is turned on - -
Levi S. Davis

kolen

Hi. Sorry I couldn't confirm it by googling it: Does RAW video on 50D has 4GB limit? Will it span automatically? What's the largest card that it support?
Thanks.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: kolen on June 26, 2014, 09:17:09 AM
Hi. Sorry I couldn't confirm it by googling it: Does RAW video on 50D has 4GB limit? Will it span automatically? What's the largest card that it support?
Thanks.
it spans autobeautyfully. There is no limit about the maximum capacity of the CF card you can use on the 50D.
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

kolen

So let say if I get a fast enough 128GB CF card the 50D can shot RAW video continuously until card full? (like 45-60min?)
Does anyone try something like this before, shooting long RAW video on 50D, and can obtain audio sync in post? (I understand that 50D doesn't have audio, but in post processing if I sync it at the beginning, would it continue to be sync by the end? In the past I have sync issues with my GH1 and an external recorder because the GH1 do not have a fps exactly 23.976 but slightly slower.)
And are there overheat problem that will stop the video unexpectedly?
Thanks!

dlrpgmsvc

@kolen: with the latest tragic build it is technically possible to fullfill any card size with continuous raw video. On the other hand, so much time you indicated brings so much heat buildup  that record will stop. Also, battery  cannot last so much time in raw mode, even with a battery grip. For these reasons, no one so far tried to see if there would be audio sync problems  for so much recording time.

LEVISDAVIS

@Kolen -- The timers with Canon are probably right on. No problem. if you have to go into the 64 to 128 GB range there shouldn't be any issues. It's @ThomasWorth every RawMagic moment!
Levi S. Davis

dlrpgmsvc

Yes, there is also a 12min time limit that is not overridable by ml. You can only set to resume automatically the recording after each 12min time chunk, but you will lose some recording seconds. So, definitely: if you need very long continuous recording, head for a more classical video-camera...

kolen

For the 12 min limit, do you refer to h.264 video?

villasmanzanillo

Thanks so much for the magic lantern firmware.

I just would like to ask a question, what settings do you guys use for best quality of your raw video?

My Gear: 
Canon 50D and
Lens Tokina AT-X PRO SD 11-16 F2.8  (IF) DX II
CF card Komputer Bay 32GB 1000x 
Mac Pro 2012 3.2ghz Quad Core 8gb ram Radeon HD 5770 1gb
Workflow: Convert from RAW to DNG with RAwtoDNG then Color correct with Davinci resolve then send those videos (Prores 422 HQ 1920 x 1080) to FCPX and edit and then i send project to compressor to upload to youtube (all best quality possible)

my main porpoise is to shoot video inside of condos and houses for sale and rent and upload them to youtube in the best possible resolution, also i take ouside videos of the pool and gardens of the house. So i want the videos to look crisp and clean, not so much to add special effects. (no matter how long it takes to process or upload)

MOVIE:

Fps Override
Desired FPS: 23.976
Optimized for: Low light
Actual FPS: 23.988
Constant Expo: OFF
Sync with shutter OFF

Image Fine tuning: 
ML Digital ISO: -0.3 EV
Black level: 0
Absolute Zero sharpness: ON
Edge Emphasis: ON
Noise reduction: OFF

Raw Video:
Resolution 1568 x 882 (thats the max it allows me)
Ratio: 16:9
Card warm up : 64mb

SHUTTER SPEED : 1/50  176*
Expo override: ON

Any pointers would be really appreciated THANKS SO MUCH, ill be a great idea of unifying all this ideas and pin in the forum for other people to use those same settings.

Gama

handbanana

You should change your fps setting to Exact

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: kolen on June 28, 2014, 01:02:11 PM
For the 12 min limit, do you refer to h.264 video?
Yes. In reality it is a 4gb limit, that using h264 is reached in 12mins. Raw does not have this limitation but there is a 30min timeout hardcoded into the canera that shuts down the lcd screen and so it stops raw recording. No ML overrideable. However, at any decent resolution, recording raw will fill up any nowadays most biggest cf cards far before reaching the 30mins limit...

villasmanzanillo

@handbanana
thanks for the tip

any other suggestion anyone else?
thanks

EVZML

I'm about to buy a 50D and a Komputerbay 128GB for shooting RAW videos.
Any problems using 128GB CF cards?

And I think about getting the 1050x CF card version. matthiasdeo posted (one month ago in this thread), he can record continuous 1920*800 by using the 1050x !

But how is that possible? Document says, 50Ds maximal write speed is 70MB/s. Also the document says max resolution for continous rec is 1584x1058.
I'm talkin about this ML document:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5

RAW video in those resolutions need something around 4GB space per minute, is that right?

Thanks!  :)

PhilK

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on July 01, 2014, 03:15:32 PM
However, at any decent resolution, recording raw will fill up any nowadays most biggest cf cards far before reaching the 30mins limit...

Unless you are doing Raw Timelapse, then this 30 min restriction is a pain.  This is the reason I bought a BMPCC to go with the 50D, longest I've done with the BMPCC is just short of 5 hours with an external battery before the 64GB card was full (but the 50D with ML would be a lot better in a few situations like low light without this limit).

Of course, this 30 min restriction is Canon's, or the EU's, fault (different V.A.T. tariffs for video cameras than stills that can do under 30 mins video) - not Magic Lantern's

kolen

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on July 01, 2014, 03:15:32 PM
Yes. In reality it is a 4gb limit, that using h264 is reached in 12mins. Raw does not have this limitation but there is a 30min timeout hardcoded into the canera that shuts down the lcd screen and so it stops raw recording. No ML overrideable. However, at any decent resolution, recording raw will fill up any nowadays most biggest cf cards far before reaching the 30mins limit...
Thanks for the information. I don't know the 30min timeout hard coded before.
I was thinking 1584x662 recorded in 128GB card should gives me 52min. But I have to think again.
Actually 1584X891 will still give me 38.6min.
However before I am more "informed" I purchased one last Thursday and should be arriving today. I am most interested in how long it can continuously record (I have purchased a grip and plan to put two batteries there for maximum capacity). If all works may be I will use it in my next wedding shot (it's a proposal shot and they want to include the whole thing. I also don't know how long would they take). And of course with a backup non raw video camera.

EVZML

Quote from: EVZML on July 01, 2014, 07:42:08 PM
I'm about to buy a 50D and a Komputerbay 128GB for shooting RAW videos.
Any problems using 128GB CF cards?

And I think about getting the 1050x CF card version. matthiasdeo posted (one month ago in this thread), he can record continuous 1920*800 by using the 1050x !

But how is that possible? Document says, 50Ds maximal write speed is 70MB/s. Also the document says max resolution for continous rec is 1584x1058.
I'm talkin about this ML document:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5

RAW video in those resolutions need something around 4GB space per minute, is that right?

Thanks!  :)

JUST BOUGHT A EOS 50D !  :D

So can now somebody tell me what CF card should I get for raw video?
Can the 50D use the fast speed of 1050x cards? And I read about problems installing it on 128GB cards, others say they use 128GB...so what is the answer?

Thanks!

kolen

Hi. I just received my 50D and tried it. I have a few questions:
I use the RAW_REC and test the continuous record and it crash at 12GB when it creates the 4th spanned file. The problem is, I cannot convert the DNG from it using both RAW2DNG and RAWMagic. How to due with corrupted files?
Should I use RAW_REC or MLV_REC?
Thanks!

PhilK

Quote from: EVZML on July 02, 2014, 04:31:16 AM

JUST BOUGHT A EOS 50D !  :D

So can now somebody tell me what CF card should I get for raw video?
Can the 50D use the fast speed of 1050x cards? And I read about problems installing it on 128GB cards, others say they use 128GB...so what is the answer?

Thanks!

Get a cheap 2 gig card and install it from that, then use your big card :-)

EVZML

Thanks PhilK! What is the biggest CF card size that I can use for installing ML ?
So before I spend 10 bucks on a cheap card just for installing, I would get another smaller Komputerbay card.
32GB? 64GB?

I also heard the 1050x 64GB Komputerbay card is faster then the 1050x 128GB Komputerbay card, is that true? Because it says the same write speed...

And does the 50D now have a playback module for playing back raw videos?

Thanks for all the help! :)