Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khail

oh thanks much it work now one last thing how do I get the higher resolutions, the camera stops me from going higher than 1568*1058 in the settings, what am I doing wrong, thanks in advance

vascostmr

Quotethe camera stops me from going higher than 1568*1058

The 50d ONLY does 1080p raw in crop mode. In full sensor mode it's limited to that resolution. But you'll find that it scales nicely to 1080p in post.

Cheers

khail

Hi guys how do you get rid of the grey yucky look of the cropped video while recording

khail

hi guys, this is a random idea, the over hearting that the 50D is prone, is it because the live view is on always? If so, I found a car monitor a really cheap sd screen that is around the same size as the 50d screen and cost about 10US, do you think turning off the 50D's screen and streaming the video out to the car monitor may help with the heating issue ?

vascostmr

Quote from: khail on July 06, 2015, 01:56:28 AM
Hi guys how do you get rid of the grey yucky look of the cropped video while recording
Go to ML Video configuration, then Raw configuration. you'll have this preview modes in crop mode: Auto., Canon, ML Grayscale, Hacked.

Quote from: khail on July 06, 2015, 12:55:34 PM
he over hearting that the 50D is prone, is it because the live view is on always?
Bigger sources of heat than the LV are the sensor, the camera processor and battery.  You can do nothing about the sensor and processor but you can try a external power source.

Walter Schulz

Cooling is another option. It's quite common among astronomy photographers.

khail

external as in the battery pack or a plugged in power supply?

menoc

Quote from: khail on July 06, 2015, 03:28:47 PM
external as in the battery pack or a plugged in power supply?

Either one. But that will not help that much. The best way to manage the 50D is to understand that there is a time and temperature limit to recording RAW whichever comes first - If you're shooting in a hot day, your max temp will be reached quickly and the camera will shut down or lock. If the room temperature is cool, then the maximum temperature will be reached during recording. The bottom line is, with the 50D you have to plan your shots with it's limitations in mind. For example I shot the documentary below in it's entirety with the 50D. All shots lasted 2 minutes or less with a bit of a break in between to let the camera cool off. During the scenes in the roof I kept the camera in the shade when idle and of course, audio was recorded externally.

https://vimeo.com/132117479

khail

good work bro, what is your work flow was this done with the crop mode, share some more info, the audio ide of things I have covered, jus curious about different wrok flows

menoc

Quote from: khail on July 08, 2015, 02:38:29 PM
good work bro, what is your work flow was this done with the crop mode, share some more info, the audio ide of things I have covered, jus curious about different wrok flows

Thanks.

Most of the interviews were shot with ML RAW (Non-crop mode) and most other scenes were shot with MLV RAW. The RAW files were exported with the now defunct RAWMagic and most of the MLVs were exported to DNGs with MLVMystic. I processed the RAW DNGs with Adobe Camera RAW. The debayer in ACR did a good job of removing most of the color noise. In later shots I improved the aliasing by using Mosaic Engineering's Moire / Aliasing Filter for the 50D. There is a mix of scenes with and without the filter throughout the film. For example, the scene at 7:40 was shot without the VAF filter and the scenes of the credits starting at 14:19 were shot with the VAF Filter. The VAF filter does a pretty good job of cleaning out the image and fixing the aliasing especially around sharp edges. Some shots were filmed in crop mode such as the one at 00:40 and 00:24. The quality of crop mode was much better but it limited my lens' range so I couldn't use it for most shots. So here's my step by step workflow:

1. Camera's PictureStyle was set to Neutral and the option for "Absolute zero sharpness" was turned on in ML.
2. Scenes were shot in RAW or MLV Raw.
3. RAW files were exported to DNGs with RAWMagic or MLVMystic.
4. DNGs were brought in to After Effects as DNG sequences. In AE Moire and aliasing was corrected and interview audio was imported and synched.
5. From After Effects, DNG sequences with synched audio were sent to Adobe Media Encoder.
6. In AME I exported to Apple ProRes 4444 (I selected the options to rendered at Maximum depth 32-bit, and use maximum render quality).
7. ProRes files were imported into a Premiere Pro project. Further color, slo-mo, and audio corrections were done in Adobe Premiere with round trips to SpeedGrade, After effects and Adobe Audition.
8. Finalized Premiere project was sent to Media Encoder for final file export to upload to vimeo.
9. Media Encoder setting for Vimeo MP4 upload file:

Format: h.264
Size: 1920x1080
Profile: High
Level: 4.2
*Render at Maximum bit depth
*Variable Bit Rate, 2-pass
Target Bit Rate (Mbps): 35
Maximum Bit Rate (Mbps): 35
*Use Maximum render Quality
*Use Frame Blending

Audio:  AAC, 320kbps, 48khz, Stereo

https://vimeo.com/132117479

khail

thanks for sharing  :). Has anyone figured out how to get the 'tag:text' to work on the 50d

khail

Guys does "text: tag" work on the 50d thank you

EVZML

I'm using the 50D for RAW filming for some months now, and it is really great!
(By the way, thanks to all developers who made this possible! It's unbelievable.)

RAW-Video and also MLV-Rec are working really great.
But sometimes I would like to use the usual movie mode with MOV video files, and not RAW-Video, for filming events etc.
When I record MOV files I set the FPS to 23,976. But when I playback the video files on my PC, it plays back very fast, looks like it plays back in double speed or something.

Everybody ever has the same problem, or know how to fix this?
Thanks!

menoc

Quote from: EVZML on July 14, 2015, 08:46:37 PM
(By the way, thanks to all developers who made this possible! It's unbelievable.)

But sometimes I would like to use the usual movie mode with MOV video files, and not RAW-Video, for filming events etc.
When I record MOV files I set the FPS to 23,976. But when I playback the video files on my PC, it plays back very fast, looks like it plays back in double speed or something.

Thanks!

That's because your MOV file is most likely playing back at 30fps, not 23.976. If you're using quicktime, quicktime will play back the file at 30fps if it cannot read metadata from the file. To playback your files at the correct speed, you may have to conform the video file using something like apple's old cinema tools utility. Or you can also put the file in an NLE's project with the proper playback speed set in the project's properties.

vascostmr

Quote from: EVZML on July 14, 2015, 08:46:37 PM

Thanks!

I use two solutions for this, either "interpret footage" in premiere pro or exporting the h264 stream and muxing it again to a .mp4 file, with mp4box:

mp4box -add MVI_0002.MOV#video -raw 1 -new temp
&& mp4box -add temp_track1.h264:fps=10 -new dest.mp4
&& del temp*

visiono

i understand crop mode gives a clean image. how long can you record 1080p raw on a 1000x card? will a faster card help?

reddeercity

Hello 50D users , I have a opportunity to buy a used 50D with 44K shutter activations , 5 battery plus a battery grip for about $250 CDN. ($190.0 USD)
I figure that a very good price as long as everything works, I was thinking of using it for a B-Cam on interviews with ML Raw Ver1.0.
As my Main Camera is 5D2 I will record MLV+audio at 1872*936 A.R. 2:1.
I have read 1920*1080 @23.976p in crop mode is continuous ? (True?) or even 1920*960 @23.976p A.R. 2:1 .(I have 1000x & 1066X Lexar CF Cards)
That would match the 5d2, My Question is there any pit fails I should know about the 50D ?  before I buy it on Monday.
Also as I have a Ninja HDMI Record , dose the output have side bars like 5d2 ?
Thanks in advance  :)

DeafEyeJedi

That's definitely a steal especially with the batteries included. Nice! [emoji108][emoji106]

But perhaps on the other hand you could double up that price and get yourself a nice mint 7D to use as a B-Cam?

I'm afraid you won't like the heat issue with 50D... There seem to be a slight workaround to it though. Like wait in between takes for it to cool down, etc.

Heck even I've been tempted to pick one up within that price range just to have & shoot RAW/MLV with it. Wouldn't spend more than $200 for the 50D.

Guess can't go wrong either way, I'd say?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

menoc

Quote from: visiono on July 22, 2015, 10:58:40 PM
i understand crop mode gives a clean image. how long can you record 1080p raw on a 1000x card? will a faster card help?

A faster card will help stabilize recording but you will also have to take into account that more CPU heat will be generated by recording at a higher resolution. Crop mode does a full read out of the area being cropped which gives you more detail and cleaner images but it also requires more processing power. The CPU will be working harder so it will generate more heat. The only way to know how long you can record in crop mode at 1920x1080 - using a faster card - is to actually run tests to see how long you can go before CPU temperature stops the recordings.

littlebobbytables

Hi!

I've been using magic lantern for a while now, both on 550D and 50D and it is great. Especially RAW on 50D is amazing even with al the problems that it has. I recently discovered dual-iso and what it can do in terms of dynamic range, would be lovely to use it in video mode too but my menu seems to complain: (MOVIE) This feature requires you shooting RAW.

This is even though live view is active, RAW video mode is active,... Works great with stills, just can't seem to be able to get it in RAW video, tried all mode dial positions. What am I doing wrong?
Running on Nightly 2014 oct 07(I know quite old, but still, works stable enough for me)

Also a feature idea/request: One of the main issues besides stability and overheating is syncing audio. It would be great if the camera could output some kind of beep or other syncing signal out of the video out port so matching with an external recorder is less cumbersome. Maybe even with some code referring to the video file. Would this theoretically be possible with the hardware in the 50D?

Overheating issues can be reduced significantly(but not resolved) by using a 'dumb' battery together with a large external battery(Amazon DE: RAVPower 15000mAh with 9V out) on the cheap. Anyone have any further tips to cool the sensor without one of those astro peltier/heatsink mods?

Thanks!
50D, 300, BMPCC4K

Walter Schulz

visiono

I just saw videos from this guy. he claims he is using non crop mode. why is his image so clean?

https://vimeo.com/68124432

Walter Schulz

Start frame: Heavy aliasing on window frame and wall. You call this clean?

visiono

is anyone getting 2560 x 1090 video 24fps with this camera ?

menoc

Quote from: visiono on August 20, 2015, 09:12:14 PM
I just saw videos from this guy. he claims he is using non crop mode. why is his image so clean?

https://vimeo.com/68124432

Yes. It does not look that clean to me either. But there is a way to clean up non-crop mode - use Mosaic Engineering's VAF filter for the 50D. I have one. That's the one I use to clean up the image in non-cop mode.

http://store.mosaicengineering.com/VAF-50D-Moire-Aliasing-Filter_p_26.html