Canon 50D

Started by ayshih, January 07, 2014, 03:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AVS

Thank you, but it's already ON

ayshih

Can you provide screenshots of what you are seeing in Live View, what your settings are on your Overlay tab, and maybe even what your settings are on your Modified tab?

You asked earlier about setting "Kill Canon GUI" to OFF.  When that is set to OFF, the Canon GUI is not suppressed, and competes with the ML GUI, which is why there is flickering.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

AVS

dmilligan

If an item is greyed out, the orange text at the bottom tells you why it it isn't working.

AVS

Tullen

Thanks dlrpgmsvc for the formatting guide.

Unfortunately it is not clear enough for me (first time installing and working with Magic Lantern). The first steps using MiniTool are very clear. Unfortunately the text under 50D is not clear enough. Is there something I should do in camera? Or is this just explanation of what happens if we do it in another way? Maybe I just get confused by the fact that you do not write in step by step instructions any more. I understand that I should sett the camera to 1920x1080 - 23,976fps - 5x zoomcard warmup 1Gb - GD off - All disabled in ML and Canon menu
only FAT32 supported on camera. But how about the in camera formatting that you write about?

So, after formatting the card using MiniTool, is there anything else I need to do?

Cheers,
Tullen

dlrpgmsvc

@ Tullen: after formatting with minitool you have to transfer the ml files to the card and then use it inside 50d! The in camera formatting written down is just to show you how slow it is compared to minitool system
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

Tullen

@ dlrpgmsvc

Thanks for the fast answer. When I put the card in the camera it said the card was not formatted and needed to be formatted in camera. Should it not do this? Also, do I need to create the MISC and DCIM folder myself after formatting on the computer?

Thanks

dlrpgmsvc

No folders creations needed beside the ml dir structure. This error is because you partitioned the card but not formatted. You jumped over the last instruction passages...

Tullen

Actually I did format the card. I guess I would not otherwise been able to put the ML files on it? Also did not work when I tried to use the EOScard software. Both times the camera says the card is not formatted. Its a Lexar 64 GB 1066x btw. Tried it three times with same result. Hum...

dlrpgmsvc

You have first to install the bootflag to the 50d by using the methods described elsewhere depending on card size. Without following my format techniques. Then you can partition and format the card as I described. Then you can transfer the ml files structure to the card by computer. Then insert the card inside 50d and fire it up!

Tullen

Is it possible to use spoiler so the pictures does not take up space for people who are not interested?

Yes, I apologize, I am quite used to using forums for questions and giving/receiving support so I should have known to give all information from the start.

I have already installed ML on the camera. In fact, if I allow the camera to format the card I can use the ML Benchmark to test it. I have a Kingston FCR-HS3 card reader. Card is a Lexar 64gb 1066. CLARIFICATION: If I format in camera and then put the ML files on it from computer it will boot, not straight after in camera formatting.

What I notice is that the color of the bar of the CF card in MiniTool does not get the same blue color as the other disks in my computer after formatting, but I think this is because it is set to Logical instead of Primary. I will try with the other program you recommended and see if I got the same results.

Tullen

Actually I just saw that after formatting the card in camera it says the card is type primary and not logical. Are you sure that logical is the right selection when creating a new partition?

dlrpgmsvc

Yes from what i remember but try the primary option and let me know thanks!

Tullen

Well, it works if I chose Primary, but not sure if its actually faster than in camera formatting. Will do more test later when I have time. For now it says my card only can do 50 Mb/s which is a bit sad. Will have to see if I can get it to do better. Bought from China so can be a fake for sure.

Tullen

So, these are the three benchmarks I have, two different Komputerbay 64gb 1000x and one Lexar 64gb 1066x (fake?). Seems they have roughly the same speed. Do you guys think I am doing something wrong or have I been super unlucky with all of them? Is there special settings I need to activate? I read about changing to playback mode or something, but cant figure our how. Read somewhere that you can send back Komputerbay cards that do not live up to the rating.

EDIT: Thanks Walter
Komputerbay 1
Komputerbay 2
Lexar

Walter Schulz

Start benchmark. Press Play button for Playback mode.

Tullen

Is playback mode the only mode worth benchmarking? If not, how do I activate any other mode I should try? Damn, I read up on all this stuff a year ago, but stuff have changed and I forgot, sorry for the many posts.

@ dlrpgmsvc
What do you mean with all disabled in Canon and ML menu? Also, is there any other setting (like picture quality and so on that I should change).

Tullen

Last thing before I go to bed. It often happens that the "Scanning Modules..." box show up and then do not disappear again. Is this a problem? It happens after I update the firmwire in order to make the card bootable.  It goes away if I restart the camera.

It also says, CROPMKS dir missing a short while. Then it dissipaters, does that mean it has been found or that I have a problem?

oenopion

Is there a setting to enable auto span after the 4gb raw rec span? Today a pair of takes went past 4 gb, and the file format jumped to a RAR archive. The .RAW file won't load into raw2dng but the archive will, however everything is corrupted. Is there a way to salvage these takes, or are they toast? The first several shots were 2-3 gb and are fine, btw. Also, after the first over 4gb, a couple shots reverted back to h264-1080, before resetting (I never touched anything) and trying another go at raw? I'm new at this, but wondering if anyone has had this happen and has any advice?
specs were, Global Draw off, non-zoom raw at 1568x882.

robertgl

The R** files are in fact the spanned files once you hit that 4GB filesize limit.. I'm not sure why you're getting corruption though

dlrpgmsvc

All disabled in canon and ml nenues means global draw off, spotmeter off, histogram off and so on

khail

Hi guys, I am new to this how do you turn on the crop mode on the 50d with raw I can not seem to find it in the menu, please help me, sorry if it was posted already I did a search no luck

dlrpgmsvc

Press preview zoom button until you see x5. Now you are in crop mode