Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N/A

Do you have both RAW and MLV loaded and turned on? Or just MLV? Having them both on will cause it to crash.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Kim

Only MLV.

The problem seems to be that no file is recorded. Using the .MOV video works well.

ocbarrio

Try another CF, even slower, make it bootable and copy files and test it. I heard some problems with some cards. And you can reset all settings from canon menu, and then begin all process.

Kim

Thanks Ocbarrio. It worked!!!!

I tried another card, and it worked for small size raw. Then, I reinstalled the files on the former card and it worked. At 1600x644 the "camera icon" is most of the time red, time to time it skips a frame. At  1728x694 the "camera icon" is always red and skips frames.

So, something was wrong with the files on the card when I installed ML.

N/A

Awesome, now get a 1000x Lexar and give 2k raw a shot  ;)

Kim

This is a 1066x Lexar! I was on 50 fps. On 24 fps it starts red,  yellow and then a smiling green :)

ocbarrio

You´re welcome, Kim!

This is my first post here... :-)
I´m with ML less than a month... and I´m learning too...

So, Lexar 1066x is enough for 1600x644? My first thought was that 1066x should be enough for all sizes...

Why do you record 24fps? 50fps brings more definition on moving objects.. I always record on 720 50fps. If ML could record at 100fps...

Can you test your LEXAR to see the better size? with no skipped frames...

pknight

Hello,

First, let me thank all of the developers and coders who have contributed to this project.  The features in this package are amazing.

I am a new user, with a problem that probably has a simple solution that I just haven't found.  That, or I have misunderstood how ML works.

I have downloaded  the nightly build for the 7D and have successfully installed ML on my camera.  I am able to adjust the settings and activate modules with no problems.  However, ML is only active when the boot card is in the camera.  If I put any other CF card in the camera, even without restarting the camera, ML no longer functions.  In fact, the firmware version displayed in the menu goes back to 2.0.3 and ML is not accessible, even though the camera has not been restarted and the "countdown" procedure to disable ML has not been carried out.  When I put the boot card back in, ML is fully functional, again without any restart of the camera.

My impression from several videos and the forums was that ML would remain active when starting the camera until the disable procedure was performed.  It would be odd, IMO, if you couldn't change CF cards while using ML, or if you had to have the ML files on every card you use.

Again, I suspect that I am overlooking something, or that perhaps it has been discussed by coders (which I am not) in such a way that it was over my head.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Stedda

Quote from: pknight on August 15, 2014, 04:03:58 PM

My impression from several videos and the forums was that ML would remain active when starting the camera until the disable procedure was performed.  It would be odd, IMO, if you couldn't change CF cards while using ML, or if you had to have the ML files on every card you use.

I've never once seen or heard of anyone do this.

ML installs nothing to the camera. Only sets a flag telling the camera to look on the card for a file and run it. So you'd need the card with the bootflag set and ML files on it in the camera for ML to run. I can't understand why you'd pull a card out of the camera in use without shutting it down first or any plus side to doing it. In fact that would be a bad habit to get into while using ML.

ML is working the way it was intended. If you want other cards to run ML make them bootable and copy the ML files to them.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

pknight

Thanks!  Like I said, I suspected that I misunderstood how it works.  I was relying on one YouTube video that was apparently confusing to me.

BTW, I have been removing CF cards from Canon cameras while they are on for years (as when one fills up and is replaced by a blank one).  The cameras handle this with no problem.  Obviously, with ML it is a different story.

Thanks again.  You have been a great help.

dpjpandone

***Attention 7D HDMI USERS***

I am trying to fix the image tearing issue that is present when using HDMI monitor with 7D

I have made some very small changes (using different edmacs) and I am seeing a lot of improvement. Can the other 7D HDMI users please test this build and tell me your results:

http://www.filedropper.com/magiclantern-nightly2014aug157d203

Please Use all of the features you would normally and tell me if you experience any problems or instabilities that are not present in current nightly builds. The only thing that should be different is that tearing should NOT be present in the recorded raw video files. As long as these changes do not introduce any new problems I will will submit a pull request so we can have this change in the nightly builds.

Thanks!

PS. here is another build with audio controls enabled, as far as I know the only problem was with "wind filter" which is still disabled, so the rest of these should work fine, please test and report if any new instabilities are found: http://www.filedropper.com/magiclantern-nightly2014aug157d203audio

Just remember, You are using magic lantern at YOUR OWN RISK! and using builds from newbs like me presents a HIGHER RISK than usual........ but I have tested these builds on my own 7D with no problems so I'm sharing them here so they can be tested over a wider range of circumstances/use cases than my own settings.

Kim

@ ocbarrio: at 1536x618 50fps, it did not complain about skipping frames.

N/A

Quote from: ocbarrio on August 15, 2014, 03:54:31 PM
Why do you record 24fps? 50fps brings more definition on moving objects.. I always record on 720 50fps. If ML could record at 100fps...

The line skipping/aliasing in 720p mode is horrible, you have to stretch out your dng's after recording to get them back to the proper aspect ratio. Also, movies are usually shot in 24p, and many digital filmmakers want to emulate the look of film as much as possible.

@dpjpandone, I'll test out the audio controls, thanks for the builds. Could you possibly make one with full res silent pics enabled? Would like to test that also.

ocbarrio

Quote from: N/A on August 15, 2014, 06:37:17 PM
The line skipping/aliasing in 720p mode is horrible, you have to stretch out your dng's after recording to get them back to the proper aspect ratio. Also, movies are usually shot in 24p, and many digital filmmakers want to emulate the look of film as much as possible.

@dpjpandone, I'll test out the audio controls, thanks for the builds. Could you possibly make one with full res silent pics enabled? Would like to test that also.

Thank u! I´m new user and this is my first time with RAW video.

dpjpandone

Quote from: N/A on August 15, 2014, 06:37:17 PM

I haven't looked at this feature yet, but I would definitely like to see it supported on 7D.

Keyo

Hello everyone. I am testing the latest build of ML (Aug 08). I have been testing out the different features and was wondering if it would be possible for me to utilize MagicZoom and the Digital Dolly at the same time. When I enable the Digital Dolly I loose the ablility to use the joystick to change the position of the focus box. How can I accomplish this? Thanks for this tool, and for the help.

Spooke

Sukram

@ dpjpandone: Thanks for the latest development! I´m using the audio-display of your latest build, it´s pretty amazing! Thank you for your work, that are great news! That´s what I wanted to have the last months ...

Now ... there is one last wish I have: Could it be made possible to send the audio levels over the USB that I can see it within DSLR-Controller from Chainfire? He told me, that the level has to be given out parallel to the other informations, maybe ML can fix this ... if you need testing, I´m here ;-)

Many greetinx,

Markus (from Germany)

pknight

I am using the Aug 8 version, and working on understanding Auto ETTR.  I have it set to "Press SET" and a slowest shutter speed of 1/90 sec.  It routinely uses much slower shutter speeds.  I have not found any mention of situations in which the slowest shutter would be ignored, although clearly it can happen.  I suspect that the setting is interacting with another setting in a way that is not clear to me.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

DFM

Quote from: Spooke on August 17, 2014, 05:23:00 PM
Could anyone confirm whether this card will work...

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12630.0
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11428.0

Short answer - in terms of speed, if you get a good copy it's OK. In terms of reliability, the 64gb version is much better. Unless a larger card is essential for longer recordings, a bunch of 64s is safer as if one dies you aren't totally USC. Eggs - basket - etc.

I'm running 64gb 1066x cards on 7D bodies without any problem, but realistically since the CF bus in the 7D isn't too hot, they benchmark the same as the 1000x.

Spooke

Quote from: DFM on August 17, 2014, 06:18:39 PM
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12630.0
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11428.0

Short answer - in terms of speed, if you get a good copy it's OK. In terms of reliability, the 64gb version is much better. Unless a larger card is essential for longer recordings, a bunch of 64s is safer as if one dies you aren't totally USC. Eggs - basket - etc.

I'm running 64gb 1066x cards on 7D bodies without any problem, but realistically since the CF bus in the 7D isn't too hot, they benchmark the same as the 1000x.

Great thank you! I don't really need 128GB at the moment, I've been surviving on my 650D with a 32GB Card although I can easily fill it 3x over.

Will go for the 64GB for better performance and cheaper cost :)

dpjpandone

Quote from: Sukram on August 17, 2014, 06:00:21 PM
@ dpjpandone: Thanks for the latest development! I´m using the audio-display of your latest build, it´s pretty amazing! Thank you for your work, that are great news! That´s what I wanted to have the last months ...

Now ... there is one last wish I have: Could it be made possible to send the audio levels over the USB that I can see it within DSLR-Controller from Chainfire? He told me, that the level has to be given out parallel to the other informations, maybe ML can fix this ... if you need testing, I´m here ;-)

Markus, I didn't have anything to do with getting audio working, (other than re-enabling it) I still haven't gotten a clear answer about why it was disabled, so if you can please test ALL the audio features and let us know if you experience any problems, that would be great. I submitted a pull-request to get it in nightly builds, so hopefully it will show up there soon.

audio levels over PTP/USB - don't know if it's possible, but you may want to make a thread in the "Feature Requests" section of the forum. Maybe a skilled coder who uses a different camera will see it there and take some interest. At this point I don't have the skillset to add new functionality like that, but if someone else gets it working, I can copy and paste it, HA! 

One thing you will have to explain is your use case, and a very compelling reason for why you need to see audio levels remotely, somebody will probably say "Just get an external audio recorder...."

ansius

/off-topic ON

Sadly wit the most of such collaborative attempts, work is done on the fancy features, and not the ones mere users would really use. Yes I'm grateful that there are such breakthroughs like full res silent pictures, and if that gets developed enough - my camera would survive much more time lapses. Raw is grate, but recently having to do many promotional videos I have hit a frustration with the audio side on 7D, especially that audio monitoring works only while recording, and that you have to use canon's menu to set up gain. Nut much, but still frustrating, especially that ML came to being as a fix for 5Dmk2 audio problem fix, irony (for those who would say sarcasm - please go an check dictionary ;) I would, as many videographers using 7D would really appreciate somebody who is able (I have found me unable to learn C, DryOS and ARM) to fix this, really, especially because somewhat it was working in the first releases, but now is just simply stripped out.

/off-topic OFF
Canon EOS 7D & 40D, EF-S 17-85mm IS USM, EF 28-300mm IS USM, Mir-20, Mir-1, Helios 44-5, Zenitar ME1, Industar 50-2, Industar 61L/Z-MC, Jupiter 37A, TAIR-3
http://www.ansius.lv http://ansius.500px.com

Sukram

@dpjpandone: Thank you for your answer - I will continue testing ...

Concerning the audio via USB: Well, that´s a great wish for everybody, who is monitoring (field-monitoring) the DSLR Liveview to an external Monitor (Tablet)! The best App for this is at the moment "DSLRController" from Chainfire. And this app CAN display the audio levels for the 5dIII and ??? - but not the 7D - I dont´know why.

For your information: This is, what someone wrote to Chainfire in the xda-Forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=38278477&postcount=2310

Originally Posted by swaproot View Post
Hi, just a suggestion for future releases, would it be possible to monitor audio in video mode via headphones plugged into my android device? I know that with the right adapters and the AV (RCA) cable that Canon supplies with its cameras, you can actually monitor the audio in real time on some cameras such as the T2i or 60D, and since this cable plugs in directly into the mini USB, just like the OTG cable, I thought that it might not be that hard to get the audio from the camera

here are some links showing how it works:

youtube.com/watch?v=BnEtj5l3acs

youtube.com/watch?v=liR6GBc8Vus

His Answer: "As I understand it, the audio comes from special pins in the port, and is not actually transmitted using traditional USB to the client device. I have no personal experience with this, but I know at least one user was looking into making a splitter of some kind to separate the audio signal from the USB signal, and use both at the same time. There was some mention of Magic Lantern in that combination as well, possibly to force the camera to send out both signals at the same time (which I guess would normally be an either/or situation). I have no idea about the current status of this, though, or if it's even possible at all."

And at last MHO: Recording with an external recorder is no option, when it´s possible to do with the tethered tablet  ;)

Greetings,

Markus.

ACS1112

Hi to all;

I'm new ( Just joined today ) been reading some posts for over a hr. already trying to find a link where to download the late's Magic Latern software for my 7D  F:2.03  because at the magic latern site, there's only downloads for all other canon cameras but the 7D.

Can anyone help with the link?

Thanks in advance to all, and i'm sure that I will be here almost every day from now and on, I'm glad to a part of such a great community.

Attn. Andre