Canon 7D Mark I

Started by Pelican, December 20, 2013, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haruki

Hello everyone,

I have been happily testing ML nightly(from 18.07.2014) - Just updated from an old old TL-version.
So far everything seems to work just fine.  Thnx everyone btw for ML - its just awesome!
One problem though: I turned off my Camera last night with ~35% Battery left, only to find the Battery completely drained this morning.  :o
Never had this before. I will test it again today for confirmation. Is this common? Does anyone know what could be causing this?

cheers!

Walter Schulz

Common it is but only if done wrong. Don't remove card before camera had the chance to shutdown properly.

If shutdown is done correctly but battery is draining: Please drop a line and the bug (if any) will be put down by the devs.
Further instructions after your tests.

Ciao
Walter

Haruki

thx for the reply.
Strange, i didnt remove the card (only for updating ML).
And when i do, i always wait several seconds after shutdown before removing the card.
But I will test further and report back.

fkloskowski

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 23, 2014, 05:13:30 AM
http://pel.hu/getpage.php?pg=eoscard&ac=1
Download the file, expand content, copy content to a card, insert card, run Canon's firmware update.

Thanks Walter,

I was able to poke around the site at the URL you provided and find what I was looking for.

Babyayo

Has anyone tried the digital dolly feature? It doesn't seem to work. I turned on Digital Dolly, started the recording, and the joystick did not move the view. I tried this in crop mode.

Pelican

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 23, 2014, 05:13:30 AM
http://pel.hu/getpage.php?pg=eoscard&ac=1
Download the file, expand content, copy content to a card, insert card, run Canon's firmware update.
An easier to remember form: http://eoscard.pel.hu
(or http://pel.hu/eoscard)
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Haruki

Just wanted to report back on my battery draining issue. Had a fully charged battery inserted over night and checked this morning. No battery draining whatsoever (at least for tonight), so everything seems to be okay for now.  :D Nervertheless I will be keeping an eye on it.

Another thing I noticed is, that sometimes (after some playing around with ML) the red LED keeps blinking (once every 4-5 sec). This does not happen always and I dont know whats causing this or whether its even supposed to be blinking. It stops when the camera is turned off and on again though. Anyone any ideas on this?

cheers!

Danialdaneshmand

Just in case , i didn't have any issue with battery either.
although the usage of it is pretty high but considering how much it calculates everything it's pretty good.

dpjpandone

Something I always thought was strange is the LCD screen's backlight flashes for a second when I open the cf card door, even when power switch is set to off.

Walter Schulz

sysulfo

Hi!

Flashing LED happened to me as well but long after completion of file transfer from camera to PC
using Canon EOS Utility

ML Build: 08-MAY-2014

No errors after LED flashing, everything functions normally.

Have downloaded and installed ML build  22-JUL-2014 but can't verify if the behaviour is the same.

You guys are doing a great job with ML, really love the application.

Rgds.

>>> Ulf

Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, EF-S 10-22, 18-200, EF 50/1.8, EF 70-300 IS USM, Speedlite 580 EX II
Previously (digital) EOS 50D, 400D
Previously (analog) Hasselblad 2000 FCW, Hasselblad SWC, Canon New F1, A1

C7D203

Still trying to work my way around first installation.

I'm confused about this statement, taken from the 'install guide':

Quote"For first install, use a simple SD/SDHC/CF card (32 GB or smaller). 64GB cards and larger will not work for first install (but you can use them with ML, see below)."

But someone in this thread told me that I don't need a smaller card (since I only have a 64gig card).

Is this true?
Have they changed it so that 64gig is ok too?

Also... seeing that I have a lot of "simple" questions I was wondering if someone will be willing to help me via PM (if that even exists here) or emails?

Walter Schulz

First page of this thread contains everything you need to know about installation procedures for recent nightlies.

C7D203

I don't see where it addresses my question about a 64gig card.

Walter Schulz

That's up to your logical conclusion.

If there isn't anything about card size found and I tell you all you have to know will be found there ...

steezinstangl

what's up guys,

new to the forum, but long time reader.

I just wanted to comment on the battery drain a member above was talking about, i also had the battery drain. woke up the next morning after going to sleep knowing i had juice in my battery, and it was completely dead. I removed ML from my card, charged my battery and it is still full, (or what like 90 something % lol) after 3 days of sitting.

jayzed

As I use the nightly builds I am in the habit of popping the battery out and in again if I'm not going to use the camera for a while to prevent the 'not shutting down fully, thus flattening the battery overnight' thing.

It's no big deal, I suspect certain combinations of parameters (IIRC, it tended to happen whenever I used 50p and FPS over-ride) get confused. I also recall that the indication this was happening was a lack of sensor cleaning cycle, although there are situations where this doesn't happen even if the camera does shut down completely - perhaps if it's been cleaned recently?

Anyway, the battery thing is just part of my workflow now. I suspect there are higher priorities for the devs, so after it's been reported, just don't worry about it.

Walter Schulz

As of today the devs were not able to reproduce the issue.
No user having had this problem was able to reproduce it.

Your suspection is ... well ... not that well placed ...

Mare

Hi

After almost one month testing ML night test2_7_14 I have no issue with the battery drain, but I do have once lack of sensor cleaning cycle and improper shut down (on/off switch is not working). That bug I was not able to reproduce it  :).

Keep on rockin'

homeros

Hi everyone, I'm new in ML forum.

I mostly interested  with raw video capabilities of 7D. The think that I'm understand 7D's raw resolution limitation is all about bandwidth of cf cards and/or 7D's CF connection that does not allow more than 80 MB/s. And this is roughly (1728 x 972 px) x (14 bit) x (24 frame/s) continuous. And this equation is about 67-70 MB/s. Well, is this mean I can record continuous with 2048 x 820 px or something like 1990 x 845 px resolution (Almost same data rate but more close to 2K DCI standard) raw video with 7D?

P.S: I'm asking because I'm going to buy fast CF card if only this works.

C7D203

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 25, 2014, 02:30:34 PM
That's up to your logical conclusion.

If there isn't anything about card size found and I tell you all you have to know will be found there ...

Honestly, I don't understand this sort of behaviour.
What purpose does it serve?

If you have some problem with my questions just don't answer them but you constantly take time out of your day to reply with answers that don't help, so what exactly is the point?

I have read the FAQs (which you told me to do on your first reply).
If the FAQs are incorrect then either change them or at least don't tell me to read them if all they do is add confusion.

The 7D is not mentioned or addressed in the FAQs. Therefore, a fairly logical step forward will be to verify whether everything that is true for the rest of the cameras is true for the 7D.
I still have no answer to that question and seeing that ML is not 100% safe it's not a baseless concern.

One person tells you that 'X' is fine while the FAQs says the opposite while someone else constantly directing you to places where while there is information it is not concrete.

I realise that for some people here who are either programmers or well informed with all things ML all my questions seem silly and they've seen them a thousand times before.
But honestly, wasting time on replies that don't help and insulting my logic seems childish, futile and a waste of time not just for me but for anyone who's going to read this thread now or in the future.

With all that said...
I'm very interested in ML but feel that I need more reassurances and more explanations and to be sure about each step.
I will still very much appreciate it if someone with experience and a pleasant demeanour will agree to help me either here – assuming I'm not going to be banned for doing nothing but asking questions, pleasantly, or via email at [email protected]

homeros

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 26, 2014, 05:57:35 PM
awgthtgtta?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9848.msg121701#msg121701

Ok, I missed that post. I checked raw capabilities document but I was not fully understand "no crop max resolution". I thought it was about bandwidth limitation. That answers my question. Thanks.

Walter Schulz

I'm not sure if your question is answered because the post you just answered wasn't intended as an answer to your post.

Pelican

Quote from: Walter Schulz on July 26, 2014, 09:56:51 PM
I'm not sure if your question is answered because the post you just answered wasn't intended as an answer to your post.
It means that your answers are universal. ;)
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down