Collored dots in Raw footage ML on Canon Eos 600D

Started by brtnsnwbrd, January 05, 2014, 09:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brtnsnwbrd

Hi people,

its my first time on this forum since im a beginner in dslr video shooting. I came up with ML through a friend. After reading and reading how to install the main version of ML and the nightly build to shoot raw, i shot my first raw video today on mij Eos 600D.
But i've got this strange patern of collored dots in my footage.
Like this:
(sorry don't know (yet) how to add a picture, have to look into it)
The dots are red, green and purple.

I've downloaden the latest version of ML and the nightly build ive installed was 600D[NEWMEM].zip. Installed everything also the activated the modules. But when filming in whatever size, i shot in 892x508 as a lowest, all of the footage came out with those dots. Does anyone has a suggestion for me how to fix that?
Thanks in advance!

kitor

Attach a screenshot with example frame of footage. But it seems like dead pixels to me. Try to disable noise reduction, take some picture with long exposure (30 seconds) and high iso on manual mode with lens cap on, and then look at captured "black" picture on PC - my bet is that you'll find all of your 'dots' here.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R or RP mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

dmilligan

Search the forum for dots removal

They are hot/cold/dead/stuck pixels. Raw is completely unprocessed so there are many sensor defects that you have to fix. ACR will get rid of them, also see: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658

brtnsnwbrd

I have added 2 pics on my newly 500px account. Dont know if it makes any sense to you guys.

But i have opened a raw file in photoshop --> camera raw and there the dots are way different then on my screenshots.

brtnsnwbrd

oke i pasted the link of the 500px site between the ' ' but nothing is shown.....

brtnsnwbrd

oke i've tried several times, but no luck... here is the image.

http://imgur.com/StRBrRw

Is this a common problem? Please help me.
Thanks!

dmilligan

Quote from: brtnsnwbrd on January 06, 2014, 01:22:18 AM
Is this a common problem? Please help me.
Yes, lot's of people who never realized the sensor does this get freaked out when they see it the first time. Normally these pixels are automatically removed, but this is raw, same goes for banding noise and other types of sensor read noise defects. See my previous reply:
Quote from: dmilligan on January 05, 2014, 11:58:06 PM
Search the forum for dots removal

They are hot/cold/dead/stuck pixels. Raw is completely unprocessed so there are many sensor defects that you have to fix. ACR will get rid of them, also see: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658

P.S. to embed an image you have to link to an actual .jpg, .png, etc. you are just posting urls to html pages with the images on them (i.e. the url should end in .jpg), that's why they don't work

brtnsnwbrd

Still no luck with the dots. Although it gets better, i still have a few stubburn dots who won't go away.
Here you see a little footage of my little Alaskan Malamute puppy, but as you can see clearly, it has a white dot, and to the east a very green dot. No one has this problem before? Again, its a real pain in the *ss to find out here on the forum.

dmilligan

Quote from: brtnsnwbrd on January 08, 2014, 05:11:09 PM
No one has this problem before?
Quote from: dmilligan on January 06, 2014, 01:49:32 AM
Yes, lot's of people...
Quote from: brtnsnwbrd on January 08, 2014, 05:11:09 PM
Again, its a real pain in the *ss to find out here on the forum.
It's even harder, when you clearly refuse to read anything posted on the forum.

A search for "raw dots" gives the following results:

Raw Video / Re: [600D RAW] Dots, dots and more dots.
Raw Video / Re: 600D raw video wierd dots
Raw Video Postprocessing / Re: PinkDotRemover tool 650D
Raw Video / [Davinci Resolve Only]some black dots on 60D raw video
Raw Video / 650d dots on the raw footage
Raw Video / Weird glitches in Resolve, but not in the DNGs 5D II Raw
Raw Video Postprocessing / Bad (hot,stuck) pixel(?) with 50D raw video in Davinci Resolve
Camera Emergency Department / hot pixels?
Raw Video / Pink dots

and 3 more pages of results.