Author Topic: Canon EOS M  (Read 993388 times)

berechiah

• Freshman
Re: Canon EOS M
« Reply #3000 on: July 01, 2019, 08:42:20 PM »
WHAT A GREAT IDEA

The x3 toggle
I never knew I needed it until now
It's so handy
And the shutter botton is fine its handy to have there

Well done danne

ZEEK

• Senior
« Reply #3001 on: July 02, 2019, 03:05:35 AM »
Cheers Danne, looks good! 8)
EOS M - EOS M2 - 5D2

Jip-Hop

• Freshman
« Reply #3002 on: July 03, 2019, 10:05:39 PM »
I improved my previous script with inspiration from Danne's latest build.
Now you can choose three buttons (INFO, SET or HALFSHUTTER) to toggle between normal and 3x crop in mv1080.
Or you can disable this functionality.

It's a LUA script which should be set to autorun.
It adds a menu entry in the ML video section.

No need to enter and exit the Canon menu anymore.
I'm pausing and resuming Live View, which I spotted Danne doing in his latest commit.
But I find my way of switching is a more responsive.
This solution switches instantly whereas with the latest build I need to keep the halfshutter pressed for a bit before it toggles.
Plus you get the choice to use other keys.

The script is on GitHub: https://gist.github.com/Jip-Hop/688253710f25d3a0ff008f908241d1b0.

I found it quite tricky to get the menu working like I wanted.
Tried to mimic how "RAW video" menu item works (SET button to toggle on and off and Play Button for submenu).
But couldn't figure out how to do that (for me it would always enter the submenu and never toggle with SET...)
So the menu isn't perfect, oh well...

By the way Danne, in the cine.lua script you forgot to replace the last occurrence of cinema 2:35.1 with cinema 2.39:1.
Now the code in first if statement would not work I think.

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3003 on: July 03, 2019, 10:38:17 PM »
By the way Danne, in the cine.lua script you forgot to replace the last occurrence of cinema 2:35.1 with cinema 2.39:1.
Now the code in first if statement would not work I think.
Nice. Thanks. Updated my script.

Nice to see your lua implementation in progress. Lua is very powerful and has come a long way since dmilligan and a1ex refined api etc immensely.

I keep a few early scripts here by the way. Very basic stuff:
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/lua_magic/src/default/

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3004 on: July 03, 2019, 11:16:32 PM »
@Jip-Hop
Lovely script man. Very responsive and super useful. What a nice way to be able to choose button to. Most likely I´ll inlcude this script into my coming builds. Good and inspiring work!

ZEEK

• Senior
« Reply #3005 on: July 04, 2019, 02:58:32 AM »
@Danne, the EOS M2 arrived today, so when you're ready just upload a link to the EOS M2 build you want me to test out. Cheers :)
EOS M - EOS M2 - 5D2

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3006 on: July 04, 2019, 09:10:33 AM »
@ZEEK
If you want to test here´s a version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=15895.msg218233#msg218233

Don´t expect much here. I do not own the camera and there´s groundwork issues that I cannot fix that needs attention. I also no longer have the camera myself to play with.

ZEEK

• Senior
« Reply #3007 on: July 04, 2019, 10:13:43 AM »
Don´t expect much here. I do not own the camera and there´s groundwork issues that I cannot fix that needs attention. I also no longer have the camera myself to play with.

Thanks for that. No problem, I'll give it a go see how it plays out! Cheers :)
EOS M - EOS M2 - 5D2

Jip-Hop

• Freshman
« Reply #3008 on: July 04, 2019, 04:57:27 PM »
I updated my script. It should now restart movie recording more or less as quick as it can when you toggle x3crop while recording.
https://gist.github.com/Jip-Hop/688253710f25d3a0ff008f908241d1b0

Haven't addressed Danne's comments yet about also allowing normal use of the chosen button.
Right now the button you choose loses it's normal function for as long as my toggle menu is activated.

garry23

• Contributor
« Reply #3009 on: July 04, 2019, 05:05:29 PM »
@jip-hop

I’ve scripted dual functionality via a long press feature, ie short press activates the augmented functionality and a long press gives you normal functionality.

Just a idea.

Cheers

Garry

Jip-Hop

• Freshman
« Reply #3010 on: July 04, 2019, 05:08:34 PM »
Thanks Garry, sounds like a good way to do it.
Is it in your Cycler B script?
Would like to include that functionality in the next version of the script.

Also I made this Automator workflow for developing scripts on MacOS.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kv13hoajbnjerej/ML%20script%20development%20without%20any%20script%20specified.workflow.zip?dl=0
- You need to open it in Automator first (not Automator Installer).
- Choose the .LUA script(s) your working on in the first "Get Specified Finder Items" block.
- Save the workflow.
- Double click the workflow file in Finder to open with Automator Installer.
- Click Install.

Now every time you insert the SD card from your camera it will copy the scripts you're working on to the SD and unmount the SD.
So it's as easy as pop it in the SD card reader, wait 1 second (until you see in Finder that it mounted and unmounted instantly) and take it out of the reader and insert back into the camera to test the script :)

I hope it speeds up script development :D

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3011 on: July 04, 2019, 05:13:04 PM »
@jip-hop

I’ve scripted dual functionality via a long press feature, ie short press activates the augmented functionality and a long press gives you normal functionality.
Exactly what´s needed.

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3012 on: July 04, 2019, 05:15:45 PM »
I updated my script. It should now restart movie recording more or less as quick as it can when you toggle x3crop while recording.
https://gist.github.com/Jip-Hop/688253710f25d3a0ff008f908241d1b0

Haven't addressed Danne's comments yet about also allowing normal use of the chosen button.
Right now the button you choose loses it's normal function for as long as my toggle menu is activated.
Great. On my side I removed the delay when x3crop toggle is enabled in Crop mode sub menu. Response right away. Better...
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jul04.EOSM202.zip

Edit: One nice addition is that if RAW video is disabled but you leave Crop_rec on it will record h264 mov both x3crop or non cropped...

garry23

• Contributor
« Reply #3013 on: July 04, 2019, 05:28:24 PM »
@Jip-Hop

The long press approach is in my hand held helper script.

Another approach I have tried is multiple presses within given time window.

Yet another approach is to use one key to modify another.

Bottom line: loads of options, but, some become camera specific. Which is why I caveat my scripts, ie they are written for me on my cameras  ;)

Jip-Hop

• Freshman
« Reply #3014 on: July 04, 2019, 05:39:00 PM »
Great. On my side I removed the delay when x3crop toggle is enabled in Crop mode sub menu. Response right away. Better...
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_isogain_1x3_presets_2019Jul04.EOSM202.zip

Cool!

@Jip-Hop

The long press approach is in my hand held helper script.

Do you mean this one https://gist.github.com/pigeonhill/3c351242740c84f0581fa57ac27e0656?

There you distinguish between long and short press of half shutter button.
But INFO button only has one state right? Not a separate one for pressed and unpressed.

So can it also be done with INFO button?
Say, short press INFO for the enhanced functionality and longpress for the normal functionality?
Seems unlikely at first thought.

The SET button does have an unpressed state, so maybe that one is better. Also these keys have unpressed state: UNPRESS_UDLR and UNPRESS_FLASH_MOVIE. But don't know if EOS M has them xD

garry23

• Contributor
« Reply #3015 on: July 04, 2019, 06:31:12 PM »
@Jip-Hop

No, you are right. You can only do the long press trick on certain keys.

That’s why sometimes I also use two keys, ie

Key1 followed by Key1 = normal Key1

Key1 followed by Key2 = modified Key2

Key2 followed by Key2 = normal Key2

Key1 followed by Keyn, but not (Key1 or Key2) = Keyn

garry23

• Contributor
« Reply #3016 on: July 04, 2019, 06:39:55 PM »
Plus

You can use pseudo long presses by detecting a key press of key1, say, and starting a timer, then test the timer if key1 pressed next, say x seconds later.

I’ve used this approach as well, but you need to use shoot_task event as well.

Jip-Hop

• Freshman
« Reply #3017 on: July 04, 2019, 11:32:04 PM »
Thanks for the tips garry23! Will keep it in mind when I continue to work on my script.

Having used the EOS M for a bit now, I'm super excited about it :)
But I also got a couple of things I wish it had.

I'd like to be able to switch easily between various RAW recording modes.
Have some modes preconfigured so I can easily toggle between e.g. mv1080 MCM rewire 14bit with 3x crop and 4k anamorphic 10bit.
Or toggle between 2.5k and mv1080 MCM rewire 3x crop.
This could also help with focus before recording since the preview in 2.5k and anamorphic is not great.
And then just toggle and hit record.
I hope I can make this possible with a LUA script and will look into it next week.

Other things I wish it had are:
- Working auto white balance in RAW recording. Currently it doesn't log the actual measured white balance (kelvin, tint/shift). I don't know anything about how WB works, but I feel like this should be possible. To me this thread from 2013 seems relevant: https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6779.0.
- A button which auto sets exposure (ettr) in shutter speed priority mode. So leave the shutter speed alone, but adjust aperture first and if necessary ISO.
- Better live view for 2.5k and anamorphic modes, but this is probably only possible in my dreams :P
- Full time manual focus, with the possibility to autofocus by pressing a button. The default Canon behaviour is either no autofocus, or very limited manual focus (MF only after AF while keeping half shutter pressed). I guess this could be easily fixed with LUA too, just leave focus set to manual in Canon menu and map half shutter press to autofocus with LUA.

Danne do you have any plans for the camera you wish to share?
What do others feel like could be added/removed/improved?

Magic Lantern is really awesome stuff :) thanks devs and contributors!

ZEEK

• Senior
« Reply #3018 on: July 05, 2019, 02:08:16 AM »
It's a shame the EOS M2 doesn't receive much attention as the EOS M. I just played around with the M2 files on MLV APP and I can recover highlights much better than I can with the EOS M. I just turned a white sky into a blue sky simply by pulling down the highlights in mlv app and it didn't turn pink as it would sometimes with the EOS M. The image quality is obviously the same, just the M2 lacks the EOS M resolution. If it had the proper resolution/modes, I would pick the M2 any day of the week. It's got Wi-fi, slightly better low light, slightly better AF, Better DR (11.2 M VS 11.4 M2). Guess most are just focusing on the dream cameras, M50, 7DII, EOS R. Bought an M50 by the way just for future proof Magic Lantern (before the price rises you know ;))
EOS M - EOS M2 - 5D2

Jip-Hop

• Freshman
« Reply #3019 on: July 05, 2019, 07:36:30 AM »
I also invested in an M50 xD

ZEEK

• Senior
« Reply #3020 on: July 05, 2019, 02:10:13 PM »
I also invested in an M50 xD

Nice one! The future looks bright ahead... 8)
EOS M - EOS M2 - 5D2

Naviddabest

• New to the forum
« Reply #3021 on: July 05, 2019, 06:04:46 PM »
I have just bought a Samsung Evo plus 128gb the faster version and I want to benchmark it in camera. But I don't have the benchmark module using danne build.

dfort

• Developer
« Reply #3022 on: July 05, 2019, 11:17:22 PM »
It's a shame the EOS M2 doesn't receive much attention as the EOS M.

There aren't as many M2's as there are original M's. It was only distributed to a few territories when it first came out.

I thought this would be a good camera for a first crack at porting ML but if you go through the EOSM2 topic you'll see it wasn't that easy and it isn't quite there yet. A couple of others guys messed around with M2's and Danne tried adding some of his EOSM settings to the M2. We do have it running on Danne's experimental branch though it isn't completely integrated yet.

If you want a challenge by all means get an M2 and see if you can figure out how to shake out the last few bugs and get this camera onto the main repository.
5D3.* 7D.206 700D.115 EOSM.203 EOSM2.103 M50.102

ZEEK

• Senior
« Reply #3023 on: July 06, 2019, 01:28:01 AM »
See if you can figure out how to shake out the last few bugs and get this camera onto the main repository.

Yeah I have an EOS M2 in my hands. I'm no scientist, but I'll see what I can do. 📽
EOS M - EOS M2 - 5D2

dfort

• Developer
« Reply #3024 on: July 06, 2019, 03:48:48 AM »
Cool. I've got some test builds on my downloads page. A few features are working fine but others are quite broken. Give it a test drive and report back on the EOSM2 topic.
5D3.* 7D.206 700D.115 EOSM.203 EOSM2.103 M50.102