Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Licaon_Kter

Put new version on card, use!

alias

matyineni

Hi. Recently I "inherited" my dad's EOS M camera and I want to use it to some amature film projects. The reason why I wanted to keep it is because this hack and the RAW video, but i noticed that in the latest build ther's no option to shoot in RAW, only in 3xH.264. Is there any way for me to shoot in RAW, or just use the H.264? Also what lens and basic settings you guys recommend? (Have the kit lens and an ef adapter)

j_szczygiel

Hi. What's the highest available video resolution when shooting Raw and h264 on Eos M?

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: j_szczygiel on January 12, 2017, 12:12:44 AM
Hi. What's the highest available video resolution when shooting Raw and h264 on Eos M?
H.264 is 1080p@30fps max, as Canon does
RAW it depends, do test

Quote from: matyineni on January 11, 2017, 12:36:37 PM
i noticed that in the latest build ther's no option to shoot in RAW, only in 3xH.264.
Did you enabled the MLV_REC/MLV_SND modules first and restarted the camera, right?

j_szczygiel

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on January 12, 2017, 10:14:15 AM
H.264 is 1080p@30fps max, as Canon does
RAW it depends, do test

I'll be pleased if you can check that as the camera seems to be a perfect entry-level gear to me :) There are no strict informations like "resolution + codec + fps" and eventually recording time, crop (if applies) for EOS M in the "[ML] Canon EOS Features Comparison" chart. I guess it would be helpful to others too. That would be awesome if you can share some DNG and H.264 files in best quality.

Also, is there a significant DR improvement when shooting in H.264 with ML?

dfort

@j_szczygiel since you are a newcomer I'd advise you to read through this discussion and search the forum for other EOSM related posts. I too got this camera as an introduction to Magic Lantern and while the cost/size/performance ratio is impressive, it has some severe limitations though it has gotten significantly better since the camera was first ported.

Video shooters wanting raw will be disappointed that it will not shoot mv1080 like the other cameras--at least not yet.

Still photographers who want to use compact EF-M zoom lenses will swear at the still unresolved shutter-bug.

However, it is a fun little camera that is inexpensive enough to risk bricking for the experience of learning how to use Magic Lantern. In fact it already looks like a small brick.

Anyone feeling adventurous? @garry23 -- You asked for it! I put all the latest experimental stuff you could possibly want to play with into one build.

This started out with someone who just signed up on bitbucket and the first pull request was a complete firmware update from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3. I don't know who this person is but he/she did an excellent job. It works so well that as far as I can tell everything works as well as the current 2.0.2. In order to encourage EOSM users to give it a test drive I pimped it with all sorts of goodies and posted it on my bitbucket download area:

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads

If you prefer rolling your own, the branch is in my repository:

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/branch/update-to-EOSM.203_experimental_branch

Some things are working great like crop_rec and 10bit/12bit. Other things are highly experimental like simultaneously recording H.264 and MLV. I got it working once with raw_rec (MLV Lite) but not with mlv_rec. I also defined RAW_DEBUG_TYPE which lets you select the raw type (for PREFERRED_RAW_TYPE) from the Debug menu if you want to experiment with that while testing out mv1080 video. In order to run the manual lens lua script the latest lua fix is included. Oh yeah and that bulb_nd module is something that keeps coming up in the forum. It is in the code base but not activated so let's activate it and try it out.

The download package has the ML folders inside of the zip package, sort of like a TurDunkin. That's because I also included the Canon firmware 202 and 203 files so you can go back and forth easily. You can actually copy both firmware updates to the same card--but don't mix it up with the ML-SETUP.FIR file because that won't work.

If you just want to take a peak of coming attractions, that's fine too. Going back to the previous firmware is easy. Just make sure you always do a firmware upgrade/downgrade with a freshly charged battery.

This is all experimental stuff so the chances of having something going terribly wrong is greater than with a nightly build. Though I've got 4 EOSM's and have done some crazy things to these cameras without incident.

If something starts going weird and you feel you discovered a bug do everyone a favor, reset your Canon settings and delete the ML configuration file and try to reproduce the issue before making a bug report. Learned that lesson the hard way with these experimental features!

A special note about the way crop_rec works on the EOSM. You'll need to use software that can handle the focus pixels for this format. The one that is currently working properly is Danne's cr2hdr.app which already has a special focus pixel map file for this format. If you want to use MLVFS you'll need to install the EOSM_crop_rec_mv720_combo_map_file in the MLVFS application. I'm not sure if MLVProducer has the new map file but the developer, AWPStar, is usually quick to respond to user's requests.

DeafEyeJedi

Hell fuckin' YEAH and I'm definitely jumping onto this EOSM.203 wagon and THANKS so much for just being you, Dan!

Here's one for you -- "Don't just risk anything, take risk with everything!" and I usually go by that motto!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: dfort on January 13, 2017, 08:06:11 AM
...reset your Canon settings and delete the ML configuration file...

As in 'Clear all camera settings' or 'Clear all Custom Functions. (C.Fn)' or both?

DeafEyeJedi

Lovely stuff, Dan. Felt wonderful to upgrade to 203 and now after resetting Canon settings (did both 'Clear all camera settings' & 'Clear all Custom Functions. (C.Fn)' just to be safe) and yes I took note (photo from iPhone) of each settings so I can have them back the way I had them. I noticed some differentials in Canon's settings between 202 and 203. No big deal I guess.

Off I go installing ML with ease and restarted camera after loading required modules and ran few tests files (couldn't get MLV to work keep getting 'Threads failed to start')...

*edit* I remember @Danne mentioned that it may have something to do with while having MLV Sound enabled on so I turned that off and voila MLV works like normal.

*edit2* I also learned that if I disable raw_twk.mo then enable MLV Sound which allows for recording with audio even in 10-bit but then I would have to re-enable raw_twk.mo to get preview to work -- is there a workaround for this to get audio included or at least to work with raw_twk.mo or not yet?
).

...with RAW and noticed a bug already when activating mlv_play.mo and is reproducible.

Here it is in order:

•Record RAW and then press play which would give you the black screen (not frozen tho) and shutter button gets you out of it.

•Then here comes the orange light next to the on/off switch constantly blinking indication something (tried turning off to no avail) so battery pull does the trick here.

•Turn camera back on and go ahead press 'Play' which then would finally preview files (even in 10-bit  8)) and haven't seen any corrupted footage as of yet.

Getting late out here and need some sleep but felt this was worth to note even tho it's minimal but will test more thoroughly tomorrow and the rest of this weekend.

Thanks again, Dan!

Danne

Here is another framegrab shot in mv1080(1728x972)10bit
Shot with "Simultaneous H.264 and raw recording to get into mv1080 video mode"

Shortened original MLV(two dng files)
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/mv1080eosm.MLV

Original dng(altered in acr)
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/mv1080eosm_000001.dng

Run it with latest mlv_dump like follows:
mlv_dump --black-fix=2047 --white-fix=15000 --cs2x2 --dng input.MLV

Downscaling isn,t justifying the output. Download original PNG here
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern/downloads/mv1080eosm.png
mv1080(1728x972)10bit

Pharinen

mv1080(1728x972)10bit would be super awesome! How long recordings(in theory) could you expect in 24/25p? :)

dfort

The EOSM has very similar specifications to the 700D as far as image size and SD card write speed is concerned. On that camera I'm getting from 12 sec. (mlv_rec with mlv_snd on 48kHz) to 15 sec. (raw_rec) with 10bit at 23.98 fps.

Danne, what settings are you using? I got mv1080 working a couple of times but not consistently and certainly nothing as impressive as the results you are getting. Of course that cat of yours is also awesome but that's besides the point.

That experimental EOS.203 build I posted also has some code that isn't working on the EOSM yet, like the lossless compression for the silent module, just to see if that is causing issues with unsupported cameras. Some of this might be creating issues that have nothing to do with the 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 firmware update so I added a plain vanilla build of the Update to EOSM firmware revision 2.0.3 pull request to my download page.

[MOD edit] Bitbucket link no longer working. Use Web Archive instead: https://web.archive.org/web/20200622002229/https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/
[MOD edit end]

@DeafEyeJedi -- I was able to reproduce the 'Threads failed to start' issue you reported. Probably the main reason you would choose mlv_rec over raw_rec (MLV Lite) is in order to record sync sound and having to off mlv_snd is a rather big problem. However, I tracked it down to raw_twk. Try turning off that module. Yeah, I know you need it for in camera playback but it is still experimental.

By the way, this issue doesn't have anything to do with the 2.0.3 update, I was able to reproduce it on 2.0.2.

Danne

My cat is deeply involved in compiling right now ;).
Anyway. Settings used.
- raw_rec, highest resolution 10bit
- H.264 bitrate set to 0.1(I just leave it on and start stop raw_rec while it,s running)

Caveats:
- Frames comes out with bad white and black levels. Easily fixed with latest mlv_dump
- A lot of frames comes out corrupted and in choppy order
- chroma smooth is prone to crap out in blown highlights delivering green dots
- mlvfs could be a solution but it,s not possible to alter black and white levels to the dng files. Turns black.

dfort

Thanks for the tips, got it working--sort of. Lots of crazy frames but the good ones are very good.

Quote from: Danne on January 13, 2017, 09:26:16 PM
- Frames comes out with bad white and black levels. Easily fixed with latest mlv_dump

Is there a magic number for the EOSM? I used 2048 and that looked pretty much ok.

Danne

Cool, yes, the good ones looks great.
I run this command
mlv_dump --black-fix=2047 --white-fix=15000 --cs2x2 --dng input.MLV
Also added black/white level handling from mlv_dump menu inside cr2hdr.app.

Now how lift this from proof of concept to something fully working?

DeafEyeJedi

So for the EOSM shot in 10-bit -- the magic number for the black-fix should be set to 2047 (not 2048?) or was that a typo?

dfort

So far there has been 32 downloads of the EOSM.203 build and 52 downloads of the EOSM.203 experimental version and still no reports either here or on the pull request?

Even if you find nothing unusual to report that's worth reporting. On bitbucket you can give it your stamp of approval to help move this forward.

KawlunD

Hey y'all.

First time poster, long time lurker.

Basically jumping to the point now, I recently made the jump into buying an EOS M with the intent of installing ML. To my surprise, the seller of the camera already updated the thing to 2.03. Now I have been reading about 2.03 builds and such but I guess I'm a bit slow to these things. Is there a way to install ML on 2.03 or are the experimental builds just ML pre-baked into the 2.03 update?

Licaon_Kter

just pop Canon official 2.0.2 on the card and downgrade.

Or use the experimental 2.0.3 from @dfort https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads

swschilke

Dear *,

I've got an EOS M with 2.02 Firmware and I wonder if the MagicLantern gives me Clean HDMI out (and do I have to record with / on the camera?) and no time barrier while recording (or capturing the hdmi out signal), i.e. the 30 minute max recording time.

Does the latest build work nicely or any things I should better be aware of?

Kindest regards

sws

dfort

@a1ex -- saw your request to run the stubs API test from the selftest module, from the latest lua_fix build for the 100D and was thinking that maybe this could also benefit the EOSM so I tried but it got stuck here and needed a battery pull to shut down:

It got quite far and it looked like it was saving a 2GB file but the card had no log file.

Quote from: swschilke on January 24, 2017, 11:34:52 PM
MagicLantern gives me Clean HDMI out

Yes it does, just turn global draw off. However it isn't a 1920x1080 signal, it is slightly smaller so you'll need to resize it in post. Also these cameras put out 8bit 4:2:2 so take that into consideration too. Another issue is that the camera LCD goes blank when an HDMI cable is plugged in and there's a slight time lag on the output. Finally, no audio through the HDMI. Oh, and if you want to record in the camera at the same time my understanding is that the signal shrinks to SD.

(and do I have to record with / on the camera?)

What is your question?

no time barrier while recording (or capturing the hdmi out signal), i.e. the 30 minute max recording time.

The camera still has a maximum time of 30 minutes before the power savings kicks in and turns off the display so you'll have to do a shutter half-press to keep it alive. The bad news is that the shutter half-press will also momentarily turn on the screen graphics.

Does the latest build work nicely or any things I should better be aware of?

The shutter-bug is a pain for still photographers and lack of mv1080 sucks if you want to record raw video. Then there are these bug reports. Still, for the current price that these cameras go for we shouldn't complain too much.

a1ex

Quote from: dfort on January 26, 2017, 07:42:27 AM
@a1ex -- saw your request to run the stubs API test from the selftest module, from the latest lua_fix

Not a bad idea, since you said it had problems on 2.0.3 as well. If it still locks up after the latest fix, you could try commenting out the troublesome test (stub_test_exmem or parts of it, maybe other tests if it still locks up somewhere else) until you narrow down the issue.

dfort

Commenting out stub_test_exmem on the latest lua_fix commit did it, though I should narrow it down to find out that's causing it to hang. Everything looked good until the end of the log:

[Pass] dialog->type => 'DIALOG'
       GUI_Control(BGMT_MENU, 0, 0, 0); msleep(500);
[Pass] MENU_MODE => 0x0
[Pass] PLAY_MODE => 0x0
       SW1(1,100)
[Pass] HALFSHUTTER_PRESSED => 0x1
       SW1(0,100)
[Pass] HALFSHUTTER_PRESSED => 0x0
[Pass] is_play_mode() => 0x1
[FAIL] is_pure_play_photo_mode() => 0x0
[Pass] is_pure_play_movie_mode() => 0x0
[Pass] is_pure_play_photo_mode() => 0x0
[Pass] is_pure_play_movie_mode() => 0x0
[Pass] is_pure_play_movie_mode() => 0x1
[FAIL] is_pure_play_movie_mode() => 0x1

a1ex

Latest commit might help with the last error; if not, the advice from the 100D thread applies here as well.