Author Topic: Canon EOS M  (Read 867754 times)

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
Re: Canon EOS M
« Reply #3725 on: November 21, 2019, 08:40:57 PM »
there is a horizontal line in the center of the video

And you want two?

Help us to help you. Ask your questions in a way giving enough information for other people (without mind reading capabilities)  to understand your problem, giving some sample of what your actual problem is, what build and settings you are using and if the problem happens with *and* without ML (if applicable), ....
Photogs and videographers: Assist in proof reading upcoming in-camera help!. Your input is wanted and needed!

papkee

• Freshman
  • Casual amateur
« Reply #3726 on: November 21, 2019, 08:44:55 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. Can't actually install it yet because I don't own an EOS M yet (hence why I was asking for some more info - to help me in my purchasing)

I think I was blending together the anamorphic and mcm rewire modes when I said higher-resolution recording with no crop. I still can't pin down exactly what either of these modes actually do and don't do, but I'll keep reading the thread.
EOS 650D, a bunch of random lenses & adapters

Wushuliu

• New to the forum
« Reply #3727 on: November 21, 2019, 09:06:37 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. Can't actually install it yet because I don't own an EOS M yet (hence why I was asking for some more info - to help me in my purchasing)

I think I was blending together the anamorphic and mcm rewire modes when I said higher-resolution recording with no crop. I still can't pin down exactly what either of these modes actually do and don't do, but I'll keep reading the thread.

My Key takeaway is:

Only Mv1080 MCMRewire can be used with an external monitor and does not involve additional cropping.

2.5k has x3 crop so lens choice must be adjusted accordingly. x5 zoomed in liveview means careful consideration of framing (maybe by using another preset first with full liveview, then switch back over the 2.5k)

5K Anamorphic requires (I think) at least 16:9 ratio setting in addition to the 'raw video' resolution and ratio setting to meet card speed requirements (so two ratio settings to adjust). Anamorphic preview is squeezed but you do get the entire image, so framing is easier.

yokashin

• New to the forum
« Reply #3728 on: November 21, 2019, 09:09:40 PM »
I still can't pin down exactly what either of these modes actually do and don't do

I also recommend the Zeek channel
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCCn0RQHYheA41EudwmLnYKA

Janke

• Freshman
« Reply #3729 on: November 22, 2019, 12:27:47 PM »
Just curious, a question to all you people wanting RAW video: What's the reason, if it's going to be used with CCTV lenses? The optical quality of those  :( isn't on par with the quality you can get with Canon's own lenses.  :D

OTOH, if it's the joy of experimentation that's driving you, then go for it!  :D

I'm very happy with what I can get with Canon's own video format, enhanced with ML's cropped video, regrdless of what lenses I use.

2blackbar

• Senior
« Reply #3730 on: November 22, 2019, 01:32:46 PM »
For photographs yes theyre not on par , for hd video theyre perfect, of course depends what shape theyre in, if glass is clean, i have new one so im happy with it, actually best multicoating i have  of all my lenses
---
SUCCESS !  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
AFter almost 2 days of searching on internets how to solve cygwin issues with docutils being slimmed down and missing files, i won the battle  and managed to setup eveyrthing for magic lantern development.
I also in the same time with a bit of help from user cmh compiled MLVApp and changed medium quality x264 export so its a bit more data than it was = better video quality and less macroblocks visible in shadows.

I have ML build and can compile my own builds now , but i have a question, my modules that were compiled are different ones from the ones delivered by Danne, is it because its unified branch instead of crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only ?
Is this ok?
Code: [Select]
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/magic-lantern_jip-hop
cd magic-lantern_jip-hop
hg update crop_rec_4k_mlv_snd_raw_only
cd platform
cd eosm.202
make zip
So, it looks like it, now i have crop_rec
 first thing id like to change is to have 12 bit modes in jip-hop menu for all settings instead of 14 and 10
bitdepth = 0x0  is 14 bits ? and bitdepth = 0x1 is 10 ? bitdepth = 0x2 is 12 bits ?
--
ok i did the changes... compiling
 :D

I did it because i dont see meaningful difference between 14 and 12, and 10 is not looking that great like it used to( too much banding in shadows kinda like old 8-11bit mode) also i noticed that performance is not much different between 10 and 12bits.
--
Is this whre i can change ratio to 16:9( changed to 3) in mcm rewire deault reset ?
static CONFIG_INT("crop.shutter_range", shutter_range, 0);
static CONFIG_INT("crop.bitdepth", bitdepth, 0);
static CONFIG_INT("crop.ratios", ratios, 3);
static CONFIG_INT("crop.x3crop", x3crop, 0);
static CONFIG_INT("crop.zoomaid", zoomaid, 2);
I also want to change drodown menu so its starts already under info button

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3731 on: November 22, 2019, 11:02:16 PM »
Great! Yes, you are in the right places for doing changes you mention so just keep going. I actually like the idea of having the same bitdepth but 12bit will be borderline for a few of the presets.

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3732 on: November 22, 2019, 11:14:13 PM »
New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- iso averaging helper(more like iso bracket but still...)

Some friday fun. To get good use of the tiff averaging workflow in Mlv App using ffmpeg tmix filter I added a function which records iso brackets containing three isos. Select a preset set exposure at lowest iso then hit record and It will record until reaching 17 or 29 files depending on what iso average preset chosen:

Import your bracketed mlv file into Mlv App first file will look as follows but there are two more isos included in the mlv file:

Now select the proper setting in Mlv App:

Out comes one averaged tiff file clean as a bean:

The nice part here is that you can record this 17/29 frame bunch in any preset. Still I recommend the anamorphic full sensor readout setting as you will get a really nice and big full res tiff file. Needless to say you will need a tripod as it need s to be static for the averaging part.

2blackbar

• Senior
« Reply #3733 on: November 22, 2019, 11:22:01 PM »
Its exactly what i was going to ask You to maybe create cause averaging is like magic ! Great work !
Where i can find default white balance setting? I want it 4800k.
I need to read up on whats where in ML sourcecode

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3734 on: November 22, 2019, 11:33:09 PM »
Its exactly what i was going to ask You to maybe create cause averaging is like magic ! Great work !
Where i can find default white balance setting? I want it 4800k.
I need to read up on whats where in ML sourcecode
Tell me when you find wb settings. Also want know :).

2blackbar

• Senior
« Reply #3735 on: November 22, 2019, 11:42:52 PM »
I found some in shoot.c but i want to change default WB FLASH to my own 4800 custom
#ifdef FEATURE_WHITE_BALANCE

void kelvin_toggle( void* priv, int sign )
{
    int k;
    switch (lens_info.wb_mode)
    {
        case WB_SUNNY: k = 5200; break;
        case WB_SHADE: k = 7000; break;
        case WB_CLOUDY: k = 6000; break;
        case WB_TUNGSTEN: k = 3200; break;
        case WB_FLUORESCENT: k = 4000; break;
        case WB_FLASH: k = 6500; break; // maybe?
        default: k = lens_info.kelvin;
    }

int step = KELVIN_STEP;
I changed it, compiling to see if its even change at startup
--
No thats not it, i need to find wbshift  in source, is there any tool to go thorugh all files in source searching for "wbshift" string ? Or some kind of documentation of whats where ?
I see its also in shoot.c but cant find other 6500 thats set by default or maybe wb flash is default , just need to find where to change it to sunny ot other at least
--
so its lens_info.kelvin, but its obtained somewhere else, not sure how yet

ZEEK

« Reply #3736 on: November 23, 2019, 12:40:56 AM »
Awesome stuff guys @Danne & 2Blackbar. The Tiff stuff is interesting for sure, footage looks clean 📽👍
EOS M - EOS M2

2blackbar

• Senior
« Reply #3737 on: November 23, 2019, 01:01:09 AM »
Hey ZEEK i installed RAW after seeing Your vids ! Great work !My favourite is The Country Side !
Danne maybe it would be better to let ML menu disappear when were changing CMOS values, so we could see how its changing in realtime , without having to exit menu and reenter again to change values.Kinda like how expo menu works , it dosappears when you change iso from ML menu and only iso value stays onscreen.

Luther

« Reply #3738 on: November 23, 2019, 01:22:49 AM »
Question: why not just use HDRMerge? Don't know if the averaging results are the same, but HDRMerge gives great results already... and not only it does averaging, but also gives you a extreme dynamic range output.
I like the idea of having more open source photo editing tools with new features, and you folks know that me and many others appreciate your work, but sometimes it feels a bit like "reinventing the wheel" or "NIH syndrome".
Big words from someone that doesn't contribute with code, I know. I mean no offense here. I should just shut up.

2blackbar

• Senior
« Reply #3739 on: November 23, 2019, 01:28:49 AM »
Because im loving how MLVApp outputs image, looks like film straight away , theres something to tonemapped function that made me stop using other software for CR2's when i compared, plain and simple.
Danne i just merged Your recent changes with my own by using compare in Notepad++ , averaging settings work great with fullres mlv.
btw found this
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/5c46a328e50c4e837e48835d5e0d42f66e6d8933

I think this is our suspect
// WB in LiveView (and movie) mode
#define PROP_WB_MODE_LV        0x80050018  // 0=AWB, 1=sun, 8=shade, 2=clouds, 3=tungsten, 4=fluorescent, 5=flash, 6=custom, 9 = kelvin
#define PROP_WB_KELVIN_LV      0x80050019
I think i founf it :
// WB workaround (not saved in movie mode)
//**********************************************************************
//~ CONFIG_INT( "white.balance.workaround", white_balance_workaround, 1);

static CONFIG_INT( "wb.kelvin", workaround_wb_kelvin, 6500);
static CONFIG_INT( "wbs.gm", workaround_wbs_gm, 100);
static CONFIG_INT( "wbs.ba", workaround_wbs_ba, 100);
static int kelvin_wb_dirty = 1;
in movtweaks.c
----
That was it !  :D :D :D :D Works, its 4800 at startup( i dont like 5000 or 5200 too warm)
--
Now im after histogram, i want it on when camera starts
#if defined(FEATURE_HISTOGRAM)

extern int FAST get_y_skip_offset_for_overlays();
extern int nondigic_zoom_overlay_enabled();

/* starting point OFF */
CONFIG_INT( "hist.draw", hist_draw,  1 );
#ifdef FEATURE_RAW_HISTOGRAM
CONFIG_INT( "hist.type", hist_type,  2 );
#else
CONFIG_INT( "hist.type", hist_type,  1 );
#endif
Worked   :D

DeafEyeJedi

• 5D3 | M1 | 7D | 70D | SL1 | M2 | 50D
« Reply #3740 on: November 23, 2019, 02:26:13 AM »
...let ML menu disappear when were changing CMOS values, so we could see how its changing in realtime , without having to exit menu and reenter again to change values.Kinda like how expo menu works , it dosappears when you change iso from ML menu and only iso value stays onscreen.

Great idea, @2blackbar and I'm all for this!

Because im loving how MLVApp outputs image, looks like film straight away , theres something to tonemapped function that made me stop using other software for CR2's when i compared, plain and simple.

I'm on the same boat. Still can't believe I'm actually ditchin' Adobe for photography stuff as well!

That was it !  :D :D :D :D Works, its 4800 at startup( i dont like 5000 or 5200 too warm)

Booyah!!!  :D
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

2blackbar

• Senior
« Reply #3741 on: November 23, 2019, 02:36:43 AM »
Wow DeafEyeJedi man, are those all Your cams? Haha , nice collection.I have only 5D2 and M, but i mostly use M, for FF you need very good lenses without suspicious corners and i dont want to spend a fortune when im not making $ with my cams, thats my rule.
I might be wrong but i think this hides ML menu
    if (!menu_active_but_hidden())
    {

int Tv = APEX_TV(lens_info.raw_shutter) * 10/8;
        if (lens_info.raw_shutter) MENU_SET_RINFO(
            "Tv%s%d.%d",
            FMT_FIXEDPOINT1(Tv)
        );
    }
Hidin ML menu during CMOS tinkering is like the first thing i would do ,then exporting addresses to txt file on shutdown

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3742 on: November 23, 2019, 02:59:12 AM »
Question: why not just use HDRMerge? Don't know if the averaging results are the same, but HDRMerge gives great results already... and not only it does averaging, but also gives you a extreme dynamic range output.
I like the idea of having more open source photo editing tools with new features, and you folks know that me and many others appreciate your work, but sometimes it feels a bit like "reinventing the wheel" or "NIH syndrome".
Big words from someone that doesn't contribute with code, I know. I mean no offense here. I should just shut up.
I tested hdrmerge in a lot of ways. Even built a dedicated compiler for this program. It's not really relevant comparing the averaging workflow outlined so I'd say if you don't see the use simply go on without using it.
Cons with hdrmerge regarding other uses. Output is dng deflate. Tonemapping works on per frame basis(very sensitive frome scene to scene). Hdr movie sequences will not work here for instance. Test go from a dark to bright scene, output will flicker heavily.
Numerous occasions where hdrmerge will output badly merged files. Occasionally big issues in lows(crushing blacks), before highlights were messy too but seems fixed. Sidenote. Tried replacing enfuse merging cr2(well tiff intermediate) files only with a hdrmerge workflow but results were never as reliable as with enfuse. Bulk work not reliable.
Conclusion. For most cases this open source tool works mostly ok, even can give stellar results, but there's more to wish for, format and stability wise.
Feel free to test out hdrmerge, ffmpeg averaging and enfuse in my program Switch. I include a beasty bash script the compares all three of them. Just for fun. Clear winner as always, enfuse. By far.
I think your last words in your post pretty much sums it up pretty perfectly ;).

2blackbar

• Senior
« Reply #3743 on: November 23, 2019, 03:44:10 AM »
Looks like my Avast antivirus deleted some mingw libraries from cygwin folder... wow...
Have to reinstall again.Dont recommend that piece of shitware , previously i had avira which probably interfered as well.

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3744 on: November 23, 2019, 03:55:03 AM »
Looks like my Avast antivirus deleted some mingw libraries from cygwin folder... wow...
Have to reinstall again.Dont recommend that piece of shitware , previously i had avira which probably interfered as well.
Too bad :(
By the way. Thought you wanted the actual liveviev output to start out in 4800k :)

2blackbar

• Senior
« Reply #3745 on: November 23, 2019, 03:59:15 AM »
Yeah i wanted it to be 4800 right away after install and it is now, I just recall what are the changes that i do when i run your builds and i mostly modified all to what i wanted, now i would like to get that ML menu hidden when changing CMOS values so i can see in realtime how image is changing...
--
Ok got it up and running again, wow... but this time im ready.
This line saved me, all docutils
"%UserProfile%"\Downloads\setup-x86.exe -s http://cygwin.mirrors.pair.com -q -P mingw64-i686-gcc-core,gcc-core,make,mercurial,python27,python27-docutils,python37,python2-docutils,python3-docutils,python2-docutils,perl,wget,unzip,zip,diffutils

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3746 on: November 23, 2019, 10:35:41 AM »
New version:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- Added a frame burst mode.
Will stop recording when specified amount of frames have been recorded. Good to have control when averaging a file sequence in post. Should work with all presets.

And of course we all know what a little averaging can do(24 frames recorded at iso 100. Developed in Mlv App:

2blackbar

• Senior
« Reply #3747 on: November 23, 2019, 01:48:30 PM »
Great work, ill test how much is the difference between 24 and 94
--
Ok i did some tests and my conclusions are :
- 24 and 96 and single iso there is quite big difference, i wouldnt really want to use 24.
- With mcm reqwire resolution mlv files with 200/800/3200 come out nice, you can see dark and bright frames but...
- with fullres anamorphic, the time that isos are changing is too fast, mlv gets recorded but none of the frames are brighter, i think in fullres isos need to be changed slower , or just slow them down in all resolutions.in 24fps mode with fullres i got 17 frames and this one recorded different iso brightness nicely.
I would leave just 96 frames mode by default and maybe slowdown iso change , but i admit 96 frames for fullres is overkill for my laptop, memory bumps up with ffmpeg to almost 3gb.

Danne

• Contributor
« Reply #3748 on: November 23, 2019, 02:57:57 PM »
Frame burst is single iso only. Should be.
Iso average  only works with frame burst set to off.
Should work exactly the same for all presets.

2blackbar

• Senior
« Reply #3749 on: November 23, 2019, 03:19:36 PM »
Ah i see now, its 17 frames in fullres and brightness is correct, so i probably did not switch off frame burst previously.
-----------

Im starting to center 2.5k mode, i know what the issue is with correcting all crop modes and framing being offcenter in 16:9 and cinemascope etc.
Its because when you skip left right up down then youre skipping more from one side, so what i did is change that, now it doesnt skip left 40 and right 0, it skips left 20 and right 20, so when you change aspect ratio, it all stays perfectly centered.
Why ? BEcause then you can use the same CMOS addresses for 2.5k and don thave to change them again if you want centering working in different aspect ratios

So far my values for 2.5k are:
  case CROP_PRESET_2K_EOSM:
   cmos_new[5] = 0x2c0;             /* vertical (first|last) */
                cmos_new[7] = 0x6ca;    /* pink highlights without this */
                break;

i basically made skipping to be the same from both sides( while respecting actual aspect ratios like You did) , so there is no issue with centering when changing aspect ratios:
        case CROP_PRESET_2K_EOSM:
            /* set ratio preset */
            if (ratios == 0x1)
            {
                skip_left       = 36;
                skip_right      = 36;
                skip_top        = 23;
                skip_bottom     = 23;
            }
            if (ratios == 0x2)
            {
                skip_left       = 36;
                skip_right      = 36;
                skip_top        = 14;
                skip_bottom     = 14;
            }
            if (ratios == 0x3)
            {
                skip_left       = 197;
                skip_right      = 197;
                skip_top        = 106;
                skip_bottom     = 106;
            }
            break;

This works, i can see in camera that it helps a lot.
I would of do that for all skipping in croprec by default and in rare cases i would not if something would be off in liveview.
At first i would get skipping from all sides, sometimes i see left skipping or down skipping is ommited which i would not do, i would take half of it and add new line to skip that half from opposite side, and avoid skipping just one side.
This would help getting correct CMOS addresses for different modes because skipping will be uniform from opposites sides ,thre is less variables to take care of.

I suspect You skip sides in 2.5k mode when doing cinemascope so it records mode time ? Isnt it better to leave full 2520 ? So its not overkill for card reader.
CAuse there is 2520x1480 which is already highes 2.5k  preset and its 16:9 but you can also choose 16:9 from other place in menu which crops it to lower 2192x1234
--
Now i see that i i think i know whats up, its stays at 950, so you have to skip sides to get to that 2.39:1
Well... maybe not, its working strange maybe its being changed in other places, also im using aspect ratio calculator and ML gives me different resolutions for 2.39:1 than this calculator
https://www.digitalrebellion.com/webapps/aspectcalc
1920x804   and 2520x1054 is 2.39:1   1920:816 and 2520x1072 is 2.35:1 and i wanted that but i see that i can get 2592 pixels width if i turn off skipping sides on 2.39:1 ratio ( i had 2592x950 maximum recorded wgich is 2.7:1) so i wanted 2592x1084 for 2.39:1 or 2592x1104 for 2.35:1 but i dont know if thats possible.
Ah.. that one aspect ratio in menu (above ratio ) gave me 2592 when i skipped 0 on all sides..
Does this mode wirks ?
  case 0xC0F06804: return 0x5b90319 + reg_6804_width + (reg_6804_height << 16); // 3000x1432 24fps x5 Mode;With my own CMOS value for 2.5k that aspect ratio in raw video menu with resolution changing above it, with Your value it crops uniformly like it should, maybe because i added CMOS5 as well not just CMOS 7  it has centering all over the place when i adjust aspect ratio and resolution, where i can look it up so its not so unpredictable and center whatever i can ? I set aspect to 4:3 and resolution much lowe so i should not vignette but i do, because it shifts the frame whenever i adjust aspect and resolution, its not trying to skip from both sides at the same time but from one side more than from other.

It is hard at the moment figuring out CMOS values to center crop modes, when i press menu then everything gets shifted anyway, so there are multiple places where framing gets changed.
--
In Your build ISO climb doesnt work in 2.5k mode, 45/50/48fps mode crop and noncrop, works fine in other modes  .