RAW disables randomly during record...

Started by syrcular, December 16, 2013, 07:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syrcular

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so I apologize if this is something that has been covered before.

I've been testing out Magic Lantern on my 5DmkIII for the last couple of weeks.  One of the issues that I've been consistently running into is records switching back to H.264 without my changing it.  One minute I will be recording RAW with no issue, and then the next minute it will switch over to H.264 without me manually changing the RAW preference in the menu.

Also...I've had a lot of trouble trying to shoot 720p60 in RAW format as well.  It seems everytime I try and shoot at the 720p resolution and follow all of the associated options, in the menu, it still reverts back to H.264 for some reason.
Also...occasionally I'll get weird pink squares for a couple of frames.

Has anyone run into this before?

Midphase

If you can document it a bit better and perhaps upload some footage you should really file a bug report. The devs will also need to know what version you're running and more details about your specific set up.

hjfilmspeed

OOOOOO this has happened to me at 3 times. The 3rd time i was testing mlv and it did the same thing. i hit rec and it started recording h.264 then when i tried to stop the h.264 recording the rec button would not stop the h.264 but it would try to start mlv rec thus filling the buffer and mlv rec would stop but h.264 would continue. I had to pull bat the power on again then power off to reload mods

I am on 5d3 with the dec 15 nightly build
i had on fps override and shutter fine tuning of +1.13
I also have preferred card set to cf and i disabled 10x zoom.
I think i had on global draw on all modes using the raw histo in luma mode
I dont think i adjust anything in the mlv rec other then the 1920x818 2:35:1
I ended up with a bunch of mlv files that obviously were short because of the buffer overflow do to writing h.264 at the same time. i was also left with a dat file of some sort. i think that might be the h.264 file that i cut short because of the batt pull.

This was the most recent time its happened to me which was yesterday. I think it also happened to me in one of the august or september builds. then it happened way back in a may build. sorry for not having more specific details right now. i saved the files that were written to the card and im still running the same build so im not sure if ml writes any info when you pull bat.

can we move this to bug reports or is this allready listed there.

g3gg0

did this happen right after you powered on the camera?
or did you just exit a menu and pressed REC instantly?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

hjfilmspeed

actually the last time it happened with mlv it was after recording a mlv clip then the second attempted it started to recorded h.264 with out my turning off mlv. its strange. It happened twice with raw but not recently and once with mlv recently. i need to read up on filing a bug properly and i will if you think its necessary.

g3gg0

this answers not my question - did you try to start recording instantly or did you wait e.g. 5 seconds?
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

hjfilmspeed

Sorry. I recorded after i came out of the menu and i sort of remember waiting a few seconds to frame and focus the shot. But im not sure if it was  exactly 5 seconds or not. Im assuming i should wait 5 seconds after i adjust anything in the menus then. It only happened once though. I continued to use mlv and it was ok after that.

g3gg0

might be possible that the GUI was still busy. raw_rec/mlv_rec checks for the GUI being idle.
if its busy, it ignores REC key.

hjfilmspeed

hmmm good to know! thank you so much g3gg0! Ill just give it a couple more seconds. Other then that mlv was rocking!

sammyb

This has happened to me a few times as well, although I can't remember what I did to produce the problems.