Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gravitatemediagroup

NEW THEORY??

I had trouble getting the new card to work, and this is what I did, and I think it will apply to anybody having trouble with the initial installs

follow the steps as is, but after you get all the files on the card and ready to load on camera, run EOScard 1 more time and hit save, THEN put the card in camera.

2 times now I have found that using eoscard 2 times in the process seems to work.
ORRRRR........the first eoscard step is unnecessary and only needs to be done as a last step before moving to camera "RUN EOSCARD & SAVE BEFORE PUTTING SD IN CAM"

gravitatemediagroup

false alarm, the new memory card finally worked as far as "the camera turned on"
but ML doesn't work

i'm pretty sure I don't need to follow the firmware install again do I?

sparedog

Working!
It was Eoscard. I downloaded it again, restarted my computer and ran it without changing anything on the SDcard.

Shall try to do a report for the developers tomorrow

1%

tested force 444 on 6d... did not work... must be using different functions. i saw something about hDMI image quality, willl have to investigate further.

in the LV buffer, the black bars are on one side only it seems, at least they are when lv is dumped.

You don't really want to do cbr at fixed qp. it stands a good chance of stopping recording as there is no rate control. VBR is good for lowfi and rc config is good for set it and forget it. that i think is the best part of the new encoding. You don't have to set 1 scene at 2x, just set up the config and it will always encode like that. bit rate and init qp is only there to modify cbr config on the fly. once you set up vbr and rc you don't have to mess with it further, that is their point.

I have to see if min bitrate affects rc because it likes to hover around 60-70 (what I set for min) but goes up to 140 even when it needs it.

you can generate high rate if you want on any mode but most scenes don't require 150Mb/s, the quality won't be much better. if you look at the raw samples i uploaded canon would record the 60mb/s scene at like 20 or 30 which is unacceptable. recording that same scene at qp1 would probably give you like 120mbps or more but its more or less overkill on digic V as it uses high 5.1 profile.

comparing to digicIV, if canon made the 6d sensor in the 600d body they'd have a real winner. only gain for digicV is the stability. I don't see much quality difference between the hacked 600d vids and the 6d vids. especially not $2k difference. either we did a really good job on 600D or canon image quality hasn't changed all that much.

masemase

Thanks for all the detailed instructions for the noobies on how to get this build on our cameras without much experience; having ML on my 6D is amazing already! Thanks again!

ManixLiquid

Quote from: 1% on January 26, 2013, 06:37:34 PM
tested force 444 on 6d... did not work... must be using different functions. i saw something about hDMI image quality, willl have to investigate further.

in the LV buffer, the black bars are on one side only it seems, at least they are when lv is dumped.

You don't really want to do cbr at fixed qp. it stands a good chance of stopping recording as there is no rate control. VBR is good for lowfi and rc config is good for set it and forget it. that i think is the best part of the new encoding. You don't have to set 1 scene at 2x, just set up the config and it will always encode like that. bit rate and init qp is only there to modify cbr config on the fly. once you set up vbr and rc you don't have to mess with it further, that is their point.

I have to see if min bitrate affects rc because it likes to hover around 60-70 (what I set for min) but goes up to 140 even when it needs it.

you can generate high rate if you want on any mode but most scenes don't require 150Mb/s, the quality won't be much better. if you look at the raw samples i uploaded canon would record the 60mb/s scene at like 20 or 30 which is unacceptable. recording that same scene at qp1 would probably give you like 120mbps or more but its more or less overkill on digic V as it uses high 5.1 profile.

comparing to digicIV, if canon made the 6d sensor in the 600d body they'd have a real winner. only gain for digicV is the stability. I don't see much quality difference between the hacked 600d vids and the 6d vids. especially not $2k difference. either we did a really good job on 600D or canon image quality hasn't changed all that much.

So you're saying filming with higher birate on 6D with ML won't make a difference even without ML installed?
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

screamer

Agree with all the people thank you for give us the chance to test ML on 6d, i'm amazed to have ML again. hope to do another donation soon guys, you really deserve all our gatitude and help ;))

great work
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

ManixLiquid

I can't install it on my camera.

I followed 1% instruction on page 8. ML installed. I restarted the camera but it wouldn't boot.

I removed SD card and battery. Try to put them back in. No boot. I only put battery back in with another sd card. Camera boot.

But every time I put the SD card where I copy all ML, ini, autoexec, etc files in the camera, it doesnt boot.

I formatted that SD card but in back in the camera with all ML sutffs and camera boots.

I then followed gravity methods, same problem. Either the SD card is damaged or I'm doing something wrong.
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

1%

QuoteSo you're saying filming with higher birate on 6D with ML won't make a difference even without ML installed

I'm saying that at some point its diminishing returns. Basically don't just record CBR 120mb+ when the scene will be the same at 70. Stock rates are actually pretty terrible.

if the camera didn't boot and you had the bootflagS set on both card and camera you probably have the wrong bin. don't try to use the 2.3 bin. make sure eoscard didn't overwrite it with its own.

when you formatted the card you took of the boot flag so it stopped trying to load the wrong  bin.

ManixLiquid

Ok. I installed ML on me camera but I can't find the ML menus. I pressed the trashcan button. Nothing.

DTSET123

I used ML all day today. Shot a breast cancer walk event where thousands of people walked to raise awareness, and I did not have any problems with ML. I was using H.264 configuration thou. Question: is H.264.ini modified or is it canon's? Also, changing bit rate and qp on RC.ini will influence the recording or they dont effect it (are those only for CBR)?
Today was a very bright day here in Florida and it was very difficult to see, and I wished the full-screen zoom on half-shatter worked or at least on focus like on 5Dm3. Other then that it was a pleasurable experience. Thank you guys for all your hard work. I will be donating to ML project as soon as I get paid :)

1%

card isn't bootable if you formatted it.

you ran the fir successfully before and set the flag on the camera, right?

H.264.ini is scratch file for you to customize, I don't remember what i put there, probably stock or rate control.

bitrate is just a target rate.

VBR has min/max BR (must match target) and high+ low qps (may not stay within them)
RC uses the min/max qps only i think. if you set the target lower it will try to stay under it. if you set it higher it will just record what it can

don't change initqp from -1 on the dynamic configs because then they just record at that 1 qp and become cbr

RateControlEnable = X this line sets the mode. VBR/CBR/RC

DTSET123

Those .ini files are for us to play with? OK, i see. I think thats what GH2(3) hackers are doing: they configure their own settings and then they share those files. 1% from your own experience so far, which compressions looks SEXIER All-I or IPB whit RC.ini?

ManixLiquid

Quote from: 1% on January 26, 2013, 10:54:51 PM
card isn't bootable if you formatted it.

you ran the fir successfully before and set the flag on the camera, right?

Every time I run the fir file from ML link you posted, it says ML/DADA/FONT retry not found and to copy ML files to card.

gravitatemediagroup

@manixliquid

have you tried a different SD?

ManixLiquid

Ok. I tried a different card. I format on my  PC. Then format it with the camera (low level). I put the Card on card reader, copy the 6D 112 fir file on the card.

I put the card on the card, update firmware. Now it says "Update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload battery and try again.

I give up. I tried everything, follow instructions carefully, still nothing. It just doesnt work.

gravitatemediagroup

sparedog

1% is there any area you would like us to test specifically.
for example, if i concentrate on testing everything in the focus and exposure menus and write my results, is that helpful, or do you know what the results will be already?

DTSET123

Quote1% is there any area you would like us to test specifically.
for example, if i concentrate on testing everything in the focus and exposure menus and write my results, is that helpful, or do you know what the results will be already?

Yes, good question. What would you like us to do?

1%

look for other things that don't work besides what is posted in this thread and I guess do some video tests and see how the quality is affected in real world application. are there repeatable crashes, especially for stills shooting. see if time lapse intervalometer and bracketing work as they should, etc.

right now I've shot some samples to get it working but that's it. Nobody has been pixel peeping the videos yet.
focus info is broken, the property is different. but other stuff like FF should work, etc.

sparedog

Great work so far!

Focus peak: In display type only blinking dots seems to show anything on the screen

In each type of LiveView focusing mode FLEXIZONE/LIVEMODE/AFQuick, ML menu screen flashes once after about 5 seconds after pressing trash button...
BUT
In AFQuick focusing mode
After the 5 seconds the screen flashes, however the menu is no longer usable, but it still stays on the screen. The focus points appear on the screen conflicting with the ML menu.

It is so good to have zebras and magic zoom!!
Is it possible to have magic zoom always on and zebras work at the same time

DTSET123

In the right corner: what is the difference between A and B? And what is next to it xx%

gravitatemediagroup

still trying to get a 2nd SD card to work.

Do I need ALL of the exact same files as required for the initial install
or does something need to be removed because the ML firmware is already loaded on the camera and the new SD and Cam are causing confusion with each other?

Getting a second card to work is more frustrating that the initial install lol

DTSET123

I dont think ML writes on camera. I think you still need to put ML-6D112 on to your sd

gravitatemediagroup

so leave ML-6D112 and ONLY 6d112 or what?

I deleted the ML folder and it was a fail also