Tragic Lantern for 6D

Started by 1%, December 24, 2012, 07:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gravitatemediagroup

HAHAHAHA

welcome to my world

6D = garbage but I don't think it has anything to do with ML, possibly the sensor gets hot?

1%

Well that's from FPS override. The other noise patterns don't appear on normal screens. Makes me thing canon made some sacrifices to get 6D sensor so sensitive.

I don't think its heat. Could be something ML does or brings to light. Maybe related to freezing in tethered modes. Either way seems fixable in software.  regular 6D video is such paltry bit rates that all of this stuff could be masked. It shows in the silent pics pre encoder.

gravitatemediagroup

I agree, on the something being masked. 

fotojohni

I will do more extensive tests on different bitrates, noise settings, picture profiles, sharpness settings etc.  It is very subtle and I believe that there will be a way to get the footage looking perfect.

The images posted before were marvels advanced, sharpness to 0, contrast to 1, saturation to standard, noise reduction to standard.

I will test with different contrast, saturation and noise reduction later this week. 

teo770

Feature request...

Would it be possible to have, under Photo options, a "reset at start-up" feature ?

This option would be activated only when camera is powered on, NOT when waking up from sleep, and would reset selectable things: white balance, exposition, drive, AF, iso ... all to default/auto or a custom setting ?

I don't know if ML can find out if it's a fresh start or a waking-up.

Could be usefull in my opinion.
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

1%

Detecting a cold boot might be a problem, especially vs a mode change. You can already kind of do this. Register a C-Mode and turn off auto update. It should go back to what you originally registered at every restart.

I have C1 for P mode photos.
C2 for manual & movie.
with auto update.

I don't really reset settings often, reserved for messing something up.. i.e starting a movie in photo mode and not being able to go back (stays movie mode through power off).

You can also turn off config saving for ML and it will always go back to whatever is in the config.

anciltech

I've been using the intervalometer through the last few .bin versions and it seems that it isn't quite stable yet.

Some of the problems i've been having are an error 80 for the first time today, also the camera will stop taking pictures and freeze (I noticed the "pictures left" # value blinking in the lcd if that means anything, and I still had plenty of room on the card) and the red LED will also blink when the camera is in the off position when this happens. I have to take out the battery to reset the camera. 

I'm also using a 3rd party battery that the camera doesn't recognize, and on start up the camera asks wether I would like to continue using the camera with this unknown battery.  Maybe just coincidence, but the intervalometer seems less stable with the 3rd party batteries.

I've been shooting in AV, mRAW, continuous shooting silent mode

Also, THANK YOU! I really appreciate the time the programmers & others put into making this awesome tool!

1%

I only tried it with silent pics and it seemed to take them very fast. Will need more testing, did you get a log from the error 80?

philippecr

Came here and notice that the early build is already kinda working in this new camera, good work!  ;)

Would love to report back some logs when I found some errors.  :)

Marsu42

Quote from: coutts on December 19, 2012, 12:17:55 AM
HD buffer resolution: LV mode: 1816x1210 pixels!!

So that's what silent pic size would be like? 100 pix focus stacks, here I come :-))

On another note: Any luck overriding the 1/4000 shutter and 1/180 x-sync limits? I'd be surprised if a little faster shutters and at least 1/200 x-sync wouldn't work, that seems to be marketing to separate the 6d from the 5d3... or does this fall under the (correct!) "do not backport 1dc->1dx" policy?

1%

Haven't tried yet. Have no flash. Could work in theory. I tried 1/8k shutter in regular modes and it keeps getting overridden by canon code. Does look darker when its set.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on March 15, 2013, 03:03:24 PM
Haven't tried yet. Have no flash. Could work in theory.

Please do try - on comparison to alex and you many, many photogs use flash regularly, either for fill or as essential accessory for portraits. Canon knew what they did when they lowered x-sync on the 6d to 1/180s since the slow 1/200s on the 5d is really the absolute minimum to freeze non-posed portraits with the usual portrait focal lengths (i.e. 85 or 135).

Quote from: 1% on March 15, 2013, 03:03:24 PM
I tried 1/8k shutter in regular modes and it keeps getting overridden by canon code. Does look darker when its set.

I don't understand this - does it work or does it get overwritten (and if so, how were you able to discover the shots look darker)? Do intermediate values between 1/4000 and 1/8000 work better? Imho 1/8000 is pretty esoteric, but I do use 1/5000 or 1/6400 sometimes, esp. on bracketing for the -ev pictures.

teo770

QuoteFrom 1%: I have C1 for P mode photos.
C2 for manual & movie.
with auto update.

Yes, tested, it works (settings reset). Having C1 and C2 in photo mode is pretty cool to switch between personal settings.
I always used M mode to record movies to ensure shutter speed is 1/48 and control depth of field with aperture....
Thanks to you i just figure out we can also use C modes in Manual control !!!

Damned, why don't you guys write the Canon manuals !!!!!
Would be crystal clear !
My gear: CANON 6D / 40mm f2.8 STM / 20mm f2.8 / 24-105 f4 IS / Flash 90EX / Grip BG-E13

adza

Quote from: teo770 on March 16, 2013, 12:41:14 AM
Damned, why don't you guys write the Canon manuals !!!!!

Canon should employ them to write both the manuals, AND the firmware.  ;)

1%

Quotedoes it work or does it get overwritten

It works with expo override but as soon as canon does any kind of update it goes back to 1/4000. The intermediates work too. So impossible to keep that 1/8k... all you can do is see it on the LV for a little bit.

Quoteon comparison to alex and you many, many photogs use flash regularly

Gotta buy a cheap-o flash then.

teo770

1%, i don't know where you live but i can ship you a speedlite 90EX for 89€ + shipping.

Tiny, pockectable, perfect fill-in flash and fixes the lack of flash on 5D/6D, i love it !

My local photo shop gets them from splited EOS M packages so the price is low.
Let me know.

a1ex

QuoteIt works with expo override but as soon as canon does any kind of update it goes back to 1/4000.

Good, so all you need to do is to change expo override code so it doesn't sync with Canon shutter speed above 1/4000. Currently it only syncs if the difference is larger than 0.5 EV or something like this.

sparedog

Quote from: 1% on March 16, 2013, 04:25:53 AM
Gotta buy a cheap-o flash then.

I dont think you can go wrong with Yongnuos. Cheap as chips and high gn ratings. I have 4 YN460-ii and use them all the time for multi-light portrait shoots

1%

I'm in the USA so shipping would kill from europe. Yongnuos look fancy and I'm a fan of chinese goods. YN560 looks fancy for only $72 bucks. The high speeds still look to be around ~$200 a little too much.

Heh, also when advanced HDR bracketing worked for video I could get crazy shutter speeds like 1/20k, etc.

Is this where it syncs with canon?

#ifdef FEATURE_EXPO_OVERRIDE
    else if (buf[0]  // sync expo override to Canon values
            && (!shutter_was_set_from_ml || ABS(buf[0] - lens_info.raw_shutter) > 3) // some cameras may attempt to round shutter value to 1/2 or 1/3 stops
                                                       // especially when pressing half-shutter

#ifdef CONFIG_500D
        && !is_movie_mode()
        #endif

)
    {
        bv_set_rawshutter(buf[0]);
        bv_auto_needed_by_shutter = 0;
        shutter_was_set_from_ml = 0;
    }
    bv_auto_update();

a1ex

Good point, I wanted to re-add those shutter speeds somewhere, maybe in the image effect menus.

I've just ported most changes in the main ML tree, but didn't test anything. At first sight, most things look alright, maybe the prop_lv_lens applies to M and 650D too.

Noticed some ugly things in bitrate code:
- some changes are applied even if no bitrate settings are enabled for menu. In this case, the user expects to get the default settings. Maybe the changes are harmless, but I just couldn't understand the code.
- it may reboot the camera in the middle of recording (?!?!)

So... my advice is to review the code carefully before you run this thing on your camera.

1%

Shouldn't reboot in the middle of recording. Only reboots when recording "starts" but there is no writing. So if buffer level ever drops to absolute 0 in the middle of recording its possible but I haven't seen it happen yet.

Basically there is a problem when encoder isn't ready it doesn't write but says it does and you can't stop it without pulling the battery. This just reboots the camera so you don't have to do that. That can happen from bad settings or if user presses record before the config is fully loaded.

It does write 0s to target rate and init qp if override isn't set but those values are 0 by default so other than needless writing....

*also canon never writes to those locations so if you set an initqp and then don't zero it out it will keep it, maybe even across reboots.

Also noticed the 1/8k shutter stays if you override P mode but not if you override M mode.

a1ex

Wait a minute, are you writing to ROM?!

I'd try to avoid the bad setting situations (e.g. block the record button if pressed too early) rather than rebooting the camera in the middle of recording.

1%

Ram but not sure if those locations are initialized. I've written to some spots in ram and had it survive a reboot... ie the lv jpeg dumping function that is no longer used. I set the flag to write to B:/ and when I rebooted it was still there.

Also, one way to reproduce the not writing error 100% is to use real VBR mode and set a different target rate from max bit rate. I have no way to prevent the user from doing that since the configs are on the card.

It has never screwed up and just rebooted while recording. I don't think its possible to have a bytes written of 0 and still have a movie file.

When the encoder is locked like this an assert will not clear the busy error or stop the camera. Only the reboot or a battery pull.

I should make a video of how this state looks, maybe it will be easier to understand.

Partial fix for 1/8k in manual mode:

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/commits/0904f594e2503f4b44b72280ccba533247c6a8d5

fauxtographer

I noticed when you step the camera down to 1920 x 1080 resolution in still mode, the moire simply does not exist. But when you shoot 1920 x 1080 motion, it's out of control. Maybe I am just confused how it is sampling, is there a way to utilize this some how?
6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

a1ex

Can you post some silent pics to confirm that?