Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerrykil

yeah thats how my filenames are too, seems to make sense, tho. i have all sorts of bugs tryin to use the feature though. so mcuh so that i may just not know how to use it properly. i think i've posted about it before but no one addressed it...

Canon eos m

Confession. I have been using ETTR (actually thought I was using ETTR) all these days and could not figure what the big deal was. Read all links posted by RenatoPhoto but not joy. Then suddenly, yesterday, my big discovery moment arrived! I figured out that I actually activated the ETTR module and chose it on the interface but was not dbl clicking the half shutter. So, no ETTR.

Now, wow!

ETTR rocks. The camera turns a beast. Actually, now Dual_ISO (that automatically activates if the ETTR is told to allow that, when the DR is too wide for ETTR to handle) is more of a game changer. Dual_ISO has been and remains my favourite feature. The limitations of Dual_ISO (pronounced shadows, etc.) are now better handled by ETTR.

So, if I want better shadow detail and less noise in the shadow/ mistone areas, I can expose to the right. If I want more DR with both the shadows/ highlights having a place in my picture, I use Dual_ISO.

ETTR then becomes a dawn2dust feature. Dual_ISO is clearly a winner during daylight or super dynamic range situations - whatever the time of day.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

funkypat

Hi Guys,  Sorry but I read earlier that the ZIP was going to be updated with the .FIR files. But i've check all the builds and nothing is there.  I have the latest files but no .fir to install in the camera.  Or Maybe I just don't get what I have to do.
Thanks for your help.
EOS-M, Canon 5D2, Cinestar 8, Cinestar 6, Red Epic, Canon s110

jerrykil

Funkypat,

you're doin something funky, heres the files from today's build
total 840
drwx------@    5 grey  admin     170 Sep 25 23:15 .
drwxr-xr-x  1624 grey  admin   55216 Sep 25 23:15 ..
-rw-r--r--@    1 grey  admin   41372 Sep 25 23:01 EOSM_202.fir
drwxr-xr-x@   12 grey  admin     408 Sep 25 23:01 ML
-rw-r--r--@    1 grey  admin  383120 Sep 25 23:00 autoexec.bin

can you paste the contents of your flashcard? just the files you've managed to put on there? also, i highly reocommend reading through previous posts on getting ML set up. it depends on the size of your card and you need the ML directory, the autoexec.bin and the firmware file to get it working.

feureau

Quote from: jerrykil on September 26, 2013, 05:18:50 AM
Funkypat,

you're doin something funky, heres the files from today's build
total 840
drwx------@    5 grey  admin     170 Sep 25 23:15 .
drwxr-xr-x  1624 grey  admin   55216 Sep 25 23:15 ..
-rw-r--r--@    1 grey  admin   41372 Sep 25 23:01 EOSM_202.fir
drwxr-xr-x@   12 grey  admin     408 Sep 25 23:01 ML
-rw-r--r--@    1 grey  admin  383120 Sep 25 23:00 autoexec.bin

can you paste the contents of your flashcard? just the files you've managed to put on there? also, i highly reocommend reading through previous posts on getting ML set up. it depends on the size of your card and you need the ML directory, the autoexec.bin and the firmware file to get it working.

Is this from bot-fly.com? How do people build .fir?

Quote from: Canon eos m on September 26, 2013, 02:29:32 AM
Confession. I have been using ETTR (actually thought I was using ETTR) all these days and could not figure what the big deal was. Read all links posted by RenatoPhoto but not joy. Then suddenly, yesterday, my big discovery moment arrived! I figured out that I actually activated the ETTR module and chose it on the interface but was not dbl clicking the half shutter. So, no ETTR.

Now, wow!

ETTR rocks. The camera turns a beast. Actually, now Dual_ISO (that automatically activates if the ETTR is told to allow that, when the DR is too wide for ETTR to handle) is more of a game changer. Dual_ISO has been and remains my favourite feature. The limitations of Dual_ISO (pronounced shadows, etc.) are now better handled by ETTR.

So, if I want better shadow detail and less noise in the shadow/ mistone areas, I can expose to the right. If I want more DR with both the shadows/ highlights having a place in my picture, I use Dual_ISO.

ETTR then becomes a dawn2dust feature. Dual_ISO is clearly a winner during daylight or super dynamic range situations - whatever the time of day.

How fast does ETTR work on your EOS-M? In mine it keeps flipflopping between darker and brighter exposures, and it takes forever for it to settle on the correct exposure. :(

Canon eos m

Decently quick. Use the 25th Sept build.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

jerrykil

Quote from: feureau on September 26, 2013, 03:28:25 PM
Is this from bot-fly.com? How do people build .fir?

Ah, you can't build fir unless your one of the reverse engineering geniuses. If you are trying to build from source, i assume you got the toolchain setup. all you need to do after you have that ARM GCC is cd into platform/EOSM.202 then 'make' and then 'make zip'. that'll get you a zip file in the same directory w/ the ML folder and the autoexec.bin. the FIR has to come from the powers that be.

funkypat

I Think I've come to the limits of my technical skills...

So I re-downloaded the latest build (Built on: 2013-09-25 18:31:09 -0400)
unzipped it and there is no .fir file on there. I feel really ignorant here, i've read most of this forum and I just don't get it.

I can build a Aerial drone from tiny parts that fit in my hand and send it to film across town but I can't install a software on a 500$ camera! I'm getting old.

I'm I the only one who can't figure this out?
EOS-M, Canon 5D2, Cinestar 8, Cinestar 6, Red Epic, Canon s110

jerrykil

oof, my last guess is something to do with your view options in windows? maybe it sees .fir file as a system file and hides it from you? i'm on a mac, so i can't confirm if this is the case. the alternative is to get the file from here:
http://ml.bot-fly.com/fir_files/EOSM1202.FIR

eos ml fan

Hello I need some assistance, I may be missing something in the forums for the eos m. I have the latest 202 firmware on my eos m and was wondering if the latest build will work with it or is there a way to modify the zip file to accept the new 202 firmware? I've tried tirelessly and still haven't been able to get it to work with the new firmware. I thought it would be as simply as switching the firmware files and or renaming them but not the case, I'm not an expert but I do have a decent grasp of the process of loading ML onto my cards as I have it on all my other eos cameras and would love to have ml on my eos m. I have also searched the web for the old 106 firmware but have not found anything, can anyone lead me in the right direction I would really appreciate any help or tips, thanks in advance.

jerrykil

take a look at:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3648.msg73618#msg73618
there are nightly builds (http://ml.bot-fly.com) and there is a more official release from 1% on the bitbucket page:
https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5BEOSM%5DFullbackADTGui.zip

its good to see so many ML users showing up to the forums, but please use the search feature because this thread is already too long and the install procedure has been posted many times...

Welcome  =D

monza

newbie here, so bear with me please. :)

When using adapted lenses on the EOS M, there is a magnify function to help with focusing.

Touch the magnifying glass icon, then touch the screen at the desired focus point, touch the magnifying glass again to enlarge 5x.

At this point if you're ready to shoot, you have to press the magnifying glass twice more and THEN you can fire the shutter:

(The first press magnifies to 10x, the second press goes back to normal view.)

That is a lot of touch screen presses, and manual focus is slow enough without slowing it down further.

I'm curious if ML could alter this process so a shutter button press would cancel magnification and go back to the full view...this is how it works on other mirrorless cams.

Thanks in advance!

Malakai

I think you can assign half press to bring up a magnified view. Ideal for manual focus.
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

mountain_drew

Would it be possible to split the development discussion thread with a more general support/troubleshoot discussion thread detailing how to install the lastest version? That might be a better use of everyone's time.

eos ml fan

Thanks so very much Jerrykill, and I apologize for taking up space and ur time and not having found it on my own. I appreciate and know how busy and hard everyone is working on taking ml to the next level, for that I take my hat off to everyone, cheers and thnx again you made my day!

feureau

Quote from: monza on September 26, 2013, 10:45:34 PM
newbie here, so bear with me please. :)

When using adapted lenses on the EOS M, there is a magnify function to help with focusing.

Touch the magnifying glass icon, then touch the screen at the desired focus point, touch the magnifying glass again to enlarge 5x.

At this point if you're ready to shoot, you have to press the magnifying glass twice more and THEN you can fire the shutter:

(The first press magnifies to 10x, the second press goes back to normal view.)

That is a lot of touch screen presses, and manual focus is slow enough without slowing it down further.

I'm curious if ML could alter this process so a shutter button press would cancel magnification and go back to the full view...this is how it works on other mirrorless cams.

Thanks in advance!

I agree. This is quite crucial. Half pressing the shuttter should return to full view.

That and an option to whether to keep multishot NR on when turning the camera off and on again. (at default it will return to regular NR when you use multishot NR)

a1ex

Zoom on half-shutter should help (does it work on the M?)

EVVK

Not so updated on the shutter bug, but I observed something new. I was running Sept22 version for quite some time. Then I had to wipe my memory card to rescue a laptop, wrote over the memorycard with a dd/raw image, so ML and all partition tables were wiped. Later on I just created a MBR/MSDOS partition with GParted and used the camera to quick format the partition.

So I should not have ML left on the card anymore? But I still have the the shutter bug and have to re-seat the lens to get it working.

a1ex

So, you have experienced the shutter bug without ML loaded?

Malakai

@EVVK

Did you uninstall tragic lantern before you used the memory card for something else? Watch my video in this post to see how to remove tragic lantern.
I need to check but im sure the bug stays even though you dont have the tragic lantern files on the card but still have the bootflag set on the camera.

Edit:

Ok, confirmed the camera wont even start without the tragic lantern files on the SD card. Just get flashing SD light.

gary2013

EVVK

I didn't uninstall or unset any bootflags. I had the flashing green LED in some point also but was desperate to get the camera working, I believe here I used GParted in Ubuntu to completely do a new partition table on the card, then I was able to boot the camera correctly without ML and do the quick format.

gary2013

I just installed sept 26 version and now the shutter bug is gone. I reported the other day, using sept 22 versio9n that the bug was back on my camera using the new 32 gb 45 write sandisk. so, something changed in the newest sept 26 version to get rid of the bug... on my camera.

gary
I thought we had a separate thread going for shutter bug only and now it's back being discussed here?

Malakai

we do, can you post the files from your memory card gary so i can test them on my camera. Post them in the shutter bug thread please.
Ideally while the bug isnt happening lol

gary2013

Quote from: Malakai on September 27, 2013, 03:14:01 PM
we do, can you post the files from your memory card gary so i can test them on my camera. Post them in the shutter bug thread please.
Ideally while the bug isnt happening lol
the only files on my card are from the sept 26 version off tye ml bot fly.com site . i also had to add the fonts. dat file from an older version to the data folder on the card.

gary