Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canon eos m

Quote from: jerrykil on September 20, 2013, 04:30:46 PM
Edit: Found the binary. Thanks.

Gary, i've updated the sept19 build with these modules only:

Where can i find the september 19 binary?
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

iNfEk

I'm a newbie to the forum here and just received my EOS-M today. I use ML with my 5D2 and love it. My camera unfortunately came with 2.02 firmware.

I've been reading this forum and am getting quite confused.

I have tried to do the procedure that's posted a few places in different threads that indicate I need 3 files but one of those 3 files cannot be obtained through the link posted (all the same) the .fir file

due to the confusion what is the simplest way to get magic lantern to work. I really only want to take advantage of the additional AEB frames that ML allows for this camera.

Sorry if this is repetitive but reading through this entire thread I'm more confused.

http://ml.bot-fly.com found build and firmware here but when trying to load them I cannot and update procedure says extract all files for some reason?

I must be doing something wrong... :( please help. I love ML on my 5D2 and want to use it on my M ASAP!

jerrykil

extract the zip file, copy the contents to you memory card, copy the posted .fir file to the card, update your firmware with that .fir file
oh, if your card is 64gb or greater then you need to run EOSCard i believe
check out http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install
if you can understand it, kudos
* jerrykil needs sleep

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

iNfEk

Quote from: jerrykil on September 21, 2013, 04:40:25 AM
extract the zip file, copy the contents to you memory card, copy the posted .fir file to the card, update your firmware with that .fir file
oh, if your card is 64gb or greater then you need to run EOSCard i believe
check out http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install
if you can understand it, kudos
* jerrykil needs sleep

Thanks,

I got that much. However when I tried with the zip on that site most recently posted AND the .fir file that's also listed there I wasn't successful. Ill try again. I did however get it working with another file I downloaded from another place ([EOSM]FullbackADTGui.zip). Ill give this one another go.

maxotics

Didn't know where to post this video, so did so here.   I found a wide-angle adapter that doesn't not work ;)

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8440.msg77687#msg77687

Until the focus dot issue is fixed once and for all I'm going to put the EOS-M aside (for RAW) and continue on with the 50D. 

Canon eos m

The sept20 install does not have a .fir file. But the install worked fine once I ran it through EOSCard with the exception of:

Dot_tune.mo
Mem_spy.mo
Script.mo

These files cause an 'err' message in all the module files. The message at the bottom of the screen is 'linking failed'. I have tried to load these individually and together but nothing works. Tried rebooting the camera a few times but nothing either.

However, overall love the new fonts and the UI is much more intuitive and friendly.

The Dual_ISO (the only feature that I really care about works just as it should).

I have a Dual_ISO related question (infact 2):

The pictures on the back of the camera look perfectly exposed to the eye if I use the digital EV indicator on the bottom left of the ML screen set to around 0EV. But when I bring the picture to ACR it is dark and has to be exposed quite a lot to come in the visible range. Know why?

The pictures of people (especially where the close up has a lot of skin almost always shows ugly grains in the shadow area (especially the borders) after processing with cr2hdr.exe. Not sure what version of cr2hdr I am using ( downloaded the latest one 2 weeks ago from Alex's Dual_ISO thread ). The funny thing is when I look at the same picture as a CR2 (unprocessed with the dual horizontal alternating lines), the picture looks fine. Anything I am doing wrong?

jerrykil

Quote from: Canon eos m on September 22, 2013, 05:02:33 AM
The sept20 install does not have a .fir file. But the install worked fine once I ran it through EOSCard with the exception of:

Dot_tune.mo
Mem_spy.mo
Script.mo

Thats my bad. I didn't realize make clean wasn't cleaning the modules up. i fixed it on the new build. as for the .fir file, i have it in the parent directory or http://ml.bot-fly.com/EOSM1202.FIR
it wouldn't be a problem to throw it into the zip, maybe i'll do that. i don't kknow how to actually build a .fir file.

EDIT: oops sorry guys, it wasn't an octet-stream type. it should download on click now

Canon eos m

Great! Will try it in the next hour and report.

Canon eos m

Quote from: jerrykil on September 22, 2013, 05:18:13 AM
Thats my bad. I didn't realize make clean wasn't cleaning the modules up. i fixed it on the new build. as for the .fir file, i have it in the parent directory or http://ml.bot-fly.com/EOSM1202.FIR
it wouldn't be a problem to throw it into the zip, maybe i'll do that. i don't kknow how to actually build a .fir file.

EDIT: oops sorry guys, it wasn't an octet-stream type. it should download on click now

Jerrykil, any plans to always update the first page with the latest build since this thread is getting really huge; and it takes hours to figure out the latest, greatest and useful.

1%

You don't need those:

script - broken/5d3 only
dot tune - incompatible
mem spy - debug tool

Memory working and you can load all modules at once?

jerrykil

@Canon eos m,
i've thrown in installer .fir in with the zip. the source was already looking for it so it was really easy. 'make zip' looks for a fir file so i've put that where it belongs and now it gets thrown into the zip w/o any trouble! yay!

@1%,
i've removed all my changes from the nightly. the 'make clean' scripts aren't doing what i thought they were so i will put my tinkering in a separate dir. a1ex made some helpful changes so now i don't have to tweak the default modules makefile. besides that, thanks for putting in more work over the weekend :)

i just watched the linux tag presentation and it was super informative. I think some of the newcomers like myself could greatly benefit from a read through that powerpoint!!!

you guys are my heros =D

Canon eos m

Sure. Thanks. I will delete the unwanted files (mem spy, dot tune & script) from my module list and add the EOS1202 fir file to the root and lets see what happens. Want is the updaterM fir for I wonder?

Edit: Sorry didn't notice you had already cleaned up the modules files in the Sept21 build. Any reasons for letting go of the mlv_rec.mo file?

Canon eos m

Quote from: Canon eos m on September 22, 2013, 08:25:36 AM
Sure. Thanks. I will delete the unwanted files (mem spy, dot tune & script) from my module list and add the EOS1202 fir file to the root and lets see what happens. Want is the updaterM fir for I wonder?

Edit: Sorry didn't notice you had already cleaned up the modules files in the Sept21 build. Any reasons for letting go of the mlv_rec.mo file?

Edit: Noticed you also let go of the bolt_rec file.

Canon eos m

Quote from: Canon eos m on September 22, 2013, 08:32:24 AM
Edit: Noticed you also let go of the bolt_rec file.

Edit: Jerrykil, just uploaded the Sept21 build. Works fine if you leave the dot_tune.mo file out. If you try to load the module with the dot_tune.mo, the same 'err' message resurfaces. I would guess best to leave the dot_tune.mo out since it is anyway an 'incompatible' file according to 1%.

gary2013

I just got a remote control for the M. It's the RC-6 model from a third party. It works good at even 16 feet away for taking pics, BUT, I can't get it to start and atop the movie mode for videos. I have read in forums that it does also work for video,even the third party models, but I cannot see how. It always takes a pic in movie mode and a message pops up saying "switch to movie mode, something went wrong". But, it then starts recording video. Odd. BUT, I then cannot get the remote to stop the movie recording. It just keeps taking pics with each push of the button on the remote.

Is this something Magic Lantern can do to make it work for video start and stop without taking pics? Or, is there something I am doing wrong? I am setting the Self-Timer: 1o secs/remote to get the remote to work. I see no other way to do this for video start/stop.

Gary

jerrykil

@canon, i made some changes, they will be reflected in tonights nightly.

for the devs,
maybe more of a question/suggestion or something of extremely low priority: it would be nice to be able to clean all modules but i get the following:

make -C  ../modules/cardtest/ clean
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
make: *** [cardtest/_rule_clean] Error 2

am i missing something? it would be cool if i could have a zip of just modules compiled for the M for ppl to try out if they wished.

the Makefile.modules.default, seeing as its a default, includes the dot_tune module. i see the Makefile.modules  has this comment:
# should we define a platform for modules? for now use 'all' platform
for now i'm just commenting out #dot_tune and whatever ppl have problems with. the whole makefile thing is totally within the scope of my limited programming abilities but i have exams right now and figuring out the scheme right now is over my head...i'll try to understand this stuff after midterms and maybe i can be more constructive.

1%

Just delete the card test folder

QuoteWant is the updaterM fir

One of these is the boot flag fir. You should give up on the burnt in fir bins, the symbols have changed so I highly doubt they will load any modules now.

Canon eos m

Quote from: jerrykil on September 22, 2013, 07:20:41 PM
@canon, i made some changes, they will be reflected in tonights nightly.

for the devs,
maybe more of a question/suggestion or something of extremely low priority: it would be nice to be able to clean all modules but i get the following:

make -C  ../modules/cardtest/ clean
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
make: *** [cardtest/_rule_clean] Error 2

am i missing something? it would be cool if i could have a zip of just modules compiled for the M for ppl to try out if they wished.

the Makefile.modules.default, seeing as its a default, includes the dot_tune module. i see the Makefile.modules  has this comment:
# should we define a platform for modules? for now use 'all' platform
for now i'm just commenting out #dot_tune and whatever ppl have problems with. the whole makefile thing is totally within the scope of my limited programming abilities but i have exams right now and figuring out the scheme right now is over my head...i'll try to understand this stuff after midterms and maybe i can be more constructive.

Dude - Good luck for your exams. Don't bother, ML appears to be working fine on the EOS M. The glitches ('err' codes and all that are not impacting the user experience or causing any major issues at the moment).

elijahalcantara

Quote from: Canon eos m on September 22, 2013, 05:02:33 AM
The Dual_ISO (the only feature that I really care about works just as it should).

I have a Dual_ISO related question (infact 2):

The pictures of people (especially where the close up has a lot of skin almost always shows ugly grains in the shadow area (especially the borders) after processing with cr2hdr.exe. Not sure what version of cr2hdr I am using ( downloaded the latest one 2 weeks ago from Alex's Dual_ISO thread ). The funny thing is when I look at the same picture as a CR2 (unprocessed with the dual horizontal alternating lines), the picture looks fine. Anything I am doing wrong?

good to know it's working, I've been looking into buying an eos-m just for this purpose (dual-iso) because of all the sales and discounts going around.

But how bad was that grain issue? can you post for us a sample please?

Canon 5d mkiii, Canon 60d, 28mm 1.8, 40mm 2.8 stm, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85m 1.8 . My photography portfolio: http://elijahalcantara.com

jerrykil

most features work quite well actually. digit peaking is great. i've been into weird results lately (see http://www.bot-fly.com). i've read that some of the creative filters regs give weird images. are there any examples of this? here are some featues that i absolutely love using without any problems:

• peaking
  • dual_iso
  • advanced bracketing: (i wish it would shoot without focusing after the first shot for when i need quick HDR bracketing. i'm not that good at MF)
  • hdr video(i get a couple frame drops where iso doesn't change. i haven't tried this in a while so maybe this odesn't happen with new FW)
  • bitrate contol (i can get a stable 3-3.5x increase w/ my 95mb/s card, though i hear the controller is only capable of half that)
I have to say most of the features work well with a few kinks here and there. but for what i paid, this is hard to beat! i'd love to find some cheap old lenses and an adapter to piss my x100 friends off with some nice shots =D

maxotics

@Jerrykil

You want to get shallow DOF, like some super expensive full-frame.  Try the $30 CCTV c-mount Fujian 35mm 1.7 with $10 c-mount to EOS-M adapter.  It's a blast.   I shot this the other day. 

funkysound

Is there any new ML compiled version for the EOS M?
I still use the one from Rootwangs post on side 45 which may be outdated.
I do read more or less everything here but I don´t understand what to use and how to compile things. I tried to test the "Latest Build" but couldn´t make it work on my M.
If there is something new which is more or less working it would be nice if someone could compile it again for testing.
EOS 600d, Tamron 17-50mm 2,8 with stab., Tamron 70-300mm, Canon 50mm 1:1,8, Sigma 10-20mm 4-5,6, Sigma 30mm 1,4,  EOS M with 18-55mm, 22mm and EF adapter, tons of more glases incl. FD/FL, EOS 70D, Canon 18-135mm STM

jerrykil

funky, try the latest on ml.bot-fly.com, it has everythign you need in the zip. also, do you have a 64gb+ card?