Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imsofinite

Thanks for all of the help, guys. I installed it with no issues and played around with it for a while, and it seems reasonably stable. Although, is it just me, or is focus tracking slowed down a bit (around the speed of the original firmware) with ML running? Also, and I really don't meant to be a bother about this, but is getting a working tethering function on this camera in the works at all? I noticed a couple of other inquiries about it a while ago, and they seemed to go unanswered as well, so I was just wondering. Anyway, thanks for the help and all of the development. You guys have done a great job with this.

I do think an updated page dedicated to the current version and installation process would be helpful, as well as a list of currently working features and features that are being worked on.

vprocessing

As I have a new born child...I'm watching time to time what's new ! but it is going quite fast...and ML needs a bit of time so I'm not Up up uptodate some times...
So we would have the audio monitoring ?  :) ??
Very good Idea to make a EOSM for noobs AND Advanced ! If I can help in writing (procedure or video fundamentals...not writing prog... :P) or testing or file hosting (via my dropbox) I'll be glad !
I've put this morning :
[EOSM]FullbackADTGui[EOSM]
Is it the last one ?
By the way I had a little bug on .mov shooting :
On the upper tight side I had a little icon (like a thermometer) with 3 or 4 square appearing and then a message with "your video has been stopped"or something like that...
In a canon graphical style I think more than a ML style menu...
I had one time or two this message with the previous ML I had...This morning I think I had it 4 times...the first reboot didn't solve...
With a few reboot it stops...
Did some you had this ? What is the cause ?
I'll try to take a pic of the thing...
AGAIN Thanks for what you all do !
I must go to work...so next time for more !

Malakai

Quote from: vprocessing on September 16, 2013, 10:11:38 AM
As I have a new born child...I'm watching time to time what's new ! but it is going quite fast...and ML needs a bit of time so I'm not Up up uptodate some times...
Very good Idea to make a EOSM for noobs AND Advanced ! If I can help in writing (procedure or video fundamentals...not writing prog... :P) or testing or file hosting (via my dropbox) I'll be glad !
I've put this morning :
Is it the last one ?
On the upper tight side I had a little icon (like a thermometer) with 3 or 4 square appearing and then a message with "your video has been stopped"or something like that...
I had one time or two this message with the previous ML I had...This morning I think I had it 4 times...the first reboot didn't solve...

The FullbackADTGui is the latest build that 1% has put up.
As for the mov bug, its not a bug, its from the canon firmware, telling you the buffer it uses between the camera and your card.
It stops recording due to the write speed of your card. If the speed of your card is too slow then the buffer fills up, when it hits the top it cant write any more to the card and then stops the recording. If you have the bitrate mod set too high for your card this can cause it to fill the buffer faster. What class is your card? I recommend a minimum of class 10 when using ML and recording video to minimise problems while recording. From experience, anything lower and you may get stopped video every now and then, not good when you are trying to capture something.
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

gary2013

Quote from: vprocessing on September 16, 2013, 10:11:38 AM
I've put this morning :
Is it the last one ?
Congratulations on your new born.  :) Boy or girl? What did you name your child?
I think magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Sep15.EOSM202 is the latest build. That is what I Just put on my card and it runs the same as far as I can see so far.  Look at reply 1763 from Jerrykil

Gary

Malakai

Cheers Gary, forgot about that build, the one I referred to was 1%'s build.

Congratulations too, forgot to put it in my post lol

gary2013

Anyone care to talk about PDR and how it is not always working with raw movies we make on the M? I have two versions of PDR. Both appear to not always work now at different times. If I shoot crop mode, the latest version of PDR usually works and the previous version 8 was leaving some ghosting of pink dots. When I shoot non crop, I now can't get the latest version of PDR to work and it always pops up an error message saying a file is bad and then none of the files get corrected. I try the previous version 8 and it goes through with no errors, but all the pink dots are still there. Hmm. Everything keeps changing. how are we suppose to do any raw recording now if we have pink dots? Can the the pdr devs come back? I think mixer2 was doing pdr at some point.

Gary

gary2013

Malakai,

Are you in Hawaii? I used to live in Hawaii Kai.

Cheers 2u2
Gary

Malakai

RenatoPhoto

Please stay on topic.  The thread is already too long and should stay focused on development.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

gary2013

AnthonyEngelken

Discovered a weird thing and thought I'd share. Shot some h264 footage with the camera's res. set to 1080p 29.97fps using fps override at 23.97fps. Brought into Premiere where it was interpreting the footage at 29.97fps; had to reinterpret footage at desired frame rate to obtain correct speed. What I brought away from this was that fps override affects shooting, but not file transcoding?

a1ex

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#fps_override

QuoteThis function will not change the frame rate from the video header; the video will playback at the setting from Canon menu.

Canon eos m

Wow  :) wow   ;D

Made a video of my wife sitting at the dinner table. When she saw the RAW video she cursed me like hell (black and white and jerky). I then rendered the footage upscale to 1920 x 1080. What resulted  is out of this world.

She looks like she will come out of the screen. Really the EOS M with the Sept 15 build is super awesome.

MLV does not work still. Pressing the menu or LV button does not trigger shooting.

But I can wait since RAW is super good enough for me for now.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

vprocessing

Quote from: Malakai on September 16, 2013, 11:27:32 AM
What class is your card? I recommend a minimum of class 10 when using ML and recording video to minimise problems while recording. From experience, anything lower and you may get stopped video every now and then, not good when you are trying to capture something.
It's Sandisk Class 10 UHS 1 95MB/Sec that I bought for RAW...
By the way before I got this fast card I tried with
TRANSCEND 16Go Class 10 : no continous shooting in RAW
SANDISK Extreme Class Pro 10 UHS 1 45Mb/s : no continous shooting in RAW
SANDISK Extreme HD Video Class 10  30Mb/s : Seemed OK for RAW when I was testing
All this seems a little weird...

I did think it was a speed issue as it couldn't be heat...
I was in 1x bitrate...

I don"t have the cable but audio monitoring is enabled ?

I had a daughter she's a little Nina ! ::)

jerrykil

Hey y'all,
unless %1 or a1ex or some mod objects, I will put my nightly builds into http://ml.bot-fly.com and keep it open to the public. it took me a long time to put that ascii art together, so i hope no one objects! also think it will keep my "i built hte latest from the devs but i'm not sure if it works" posts to a minimum!
thanks

1%

I'm all for it, I don't have a reliable enough connection to autobuild and upload, plus bitbucket already hates how many files I upload, the filedropper links die and not everyone can download off of mega.

maxotics

Quote from: jerrykil on September 16, 2013, 11:56:31 PM
Hey y'all,
unless %1 or a1ex or some mod objects, I will put my nightly builds into http://ml.bot-fly.com and keep it open to the public. it took me a long time to put that ascii art together, so i hope no one objects! also think it will keep my "i built hte latest from the devs but i'm not sure if it works" posts to a minimum!
thanks

ASCII art awesome! 

Can you creates some builds that you believe are the most stable?  Or can you document what's up there a little bit? This is the thing that drives everyone the most nuts (or at least me).   It seems there is a possibility that one build, or a combination of them, might fix the "shutter bug".  No matter what, THANKS!!!! 

I'm working on a single process app for the EOS-M RAW files, using ufRAW as the PDR.  Hope to have that ready in a week or so.

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on September 17, 2013, 02:21:42 AM
ASCII art awesome! 

Can you creates some builds that you believe are the most stable?  Or can you document what's up there a little bit? This is the thing that drives everyone the most nuts (or at least me).   It seems there is a possibility that one build, or a combination of them, might fix the "shutter bug".  No matter what, THANKS!!!! 

I'm working on a single process app for the EOS-M RAW files, using ufRAW as the PDR.  Hope to have that ready in a week or so.
the shutter bug still exists on even the latest build that is posted there. I have been working a lot on that bug all day and all of last night. What is very strange is that bug still exists "even" when I remove all the ML files from my 128GB card. I then tried my older 32 GB card that is clean without having any ML files and the bug is gone. Both my EFM lenses work perfectly with the M and that 32 GB card. I then put my 128GB card that still has no ML files (I even formatted it to make sure) and the bug is back. I have tried formatting that card a dozen times or more over the last 24 hours. I was up all night working on it, amongst some other things like raw and pink dots. I even tried flashing the Canon 2.0.2 firmware again and the bug won't go away. Logic says that ML caused something on that one card to create this bug and something is somehow "still there" but I can't see anything or remove anything else. I made a call to the card manufacturer, Komputerbay,  to see if they can fix/replace the card and tell me what is wrong. The card is only two months old. I think someone online said they had a problem with their Komputerbay card and that Komputerbay was nice about it. I think they said it was  older firmware on the card and they gave him a new card with newer firmware. I am not sure or remember the exact details. I will hopefully hear from them in the next two days.

Very strange this ML, bug and card thing.

Gary

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on September 17, 2013, 02:21:42 AM

Max, funny you say this. I just told my wife 20 minutes ago about how we need someone to make an all in one app. I explained to her the current workflow and all the steps involved to just start editing. She has an interest in all of this and asks me about what is going on.

I hope you get it going. The whole workflow is a PIA now. I hope to just shoot raw someday, hopefully with audio and then take the card out and transfer the raw files through my USB 3.0 port to some app that does all the PDR work and creates DNGs and uncompressed full TIFs in new, named folders. Premiere Pro will have import for DNG file sequences in an update on October 15th. I asked Adobe about importing DNG's and I just got an email from a rep a few hours ago telling me the good news.

Gary

jerrykil

Quote from: gary2013 on September 17, 2013, 03:12:19 AM
I then put that 128GB card back into the camera and the bug is back.
Oh its a pain. I have problems getting the bug on my camera. Your card observation is interesting. Maybe Canon changes something up with their boot flags. We know now that you don't need to use EOSCard to prepare your card to run custom applications on the EOS M. Could it be that EOSCard changes are partially responsible for the bug? I don't know enough bout all that, but an easy way to check is to run your EOSCard again and turn off all the options. I am on a mac, so the utility doesn't quite work in Wine.

Nanomad was kind enough to work with me on the bug a couple days ago. I had an issue because i am not able to reliably reproduce the bug. If you are able to reliably reproduce the bug, and then have fix for it (such as changing cards), then that would help isolate whats actually going on. Basically nanomad said the best way to make dm.log would be to start the cam, without doing much on it, start the dm.log and then fire the shutter several times and then turn off the dm log. do not remove the card or turn off the cam if you see that the red light is on, because its probably still doing its thing.

keep up the good sleuthing :P

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on September 17, 2013, 04:39:39 AM
Oh its a pain. I have problems getting the bug on my camera. Your card observation is interesting. Maybe Canon changes something up with their boot flags. We know now that you don't need to use EOSCard to prepare your card to run custom applications on the EOS M. Could it be that EOSCard changes are partially responsible for the bug? I don't know enough bout all that, but an easy way to check is to run your EOSCard again and turn off all the options. I am on a mac, so the utility doesn't quite work in Wine.

Nanomad was kind enough to work with me on the bug a couple days ago. I had an issue because i am not able to reliably reproduce the bug. If you are able to reliably reproduce the bug, and then have fix for it (such as changing cards), then that would help isolate whats actually going on. Basically nanomad said the best way to make dm.log would be to start the cam, without doing much on it, start the dm.log and then fire the shutter several times and then turn off the dm log. do not remove the card or turn off the cam if you see that the red light is on, because its probably still doing its thing.

keep up the good sleuthing :P
I did try eoscard a few times, but not without checking the items as you suggest. I will try wehat you day now. We have done the dm logs before and I think 1% said he loctaed a section that was different between bug and no bu logs. I can try the log again too and get back with the link to the log and what I find.

I am just so baffled of what is on that card doing this. I do see in Windows Disk Management looking at this 128 GB card that there is a small, 16 MB  partition that says Unallocated. I can't delete or format that section. All the options are greyed out for it. I can only format the main 119 GB partition. This might be the problem. what might possibly be there in that 16 MB area and how did it get there? How can I get rid of it and regain back that small section and format it with the rest of the Healthy partition? Usually we have a delete Volume and then I can make a new volume as one. I just thought now that maybe that section was made at the factory and that is where Komputerbay has their firmware and we can't touch it??   

Gary
Edit-I can reliably reproduce the bug and I have isolated down to that one card and ML. The card worked before ML but I did not have the efm 18-55 lens back then. I was not aware of the bug until I bought the lens recently. Your method of running eoscard again with nothing checked off did not work. The bug is still there.

jerrykil

Gary,

so I'm not completely following. I don't really understand what card before ML means or the significance of that. Is that the card that does not illicit a bug. Does it have ML on it now? Did you run the EOSCard utility on it at any point?

In EOSCard, can you try to press alt+f on the card to do a format, then place ml back on it and see if the shutter bug is there.

As for DM logs. I cannot find your posted DM log in your post history, but i see lots of smileys. Kind of scary. I remember that malakai and I had a SW1 call that you did not. this is why I was confused. Your log, if i recall, did not have any shutter logged.

If you are able to use ML with the bug then use your card fix and use ML without the bug, please post your dm logs.

thanks

1%, i could automate nightlies easily. i have a problem right now where i have to disable mlv_rec in order to build the zip package. is there any way you could include that lzma folder for mlv_rec to compile for us?

jerry

edit: to clarify DM.logs before and after your reliable fix with several shutter presses. thanks again

maxotics

Doesn't the EOScard utility sometimes put on a stable version of ML instead of the one we want?  That is, the EOScard utility may be gumming things up for you? I doubt that's the problem, just throwing it out there. 

As for my batch programming.  I have the skeleton done, unfortunately, ufRAW is not getting all the dots out of the video I'm testing with.  So much for that theory.  I could create a call to PDR but I don't trust it.  Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.  And even when it works, if there's a clipped part of the video the dots return, even for my 50D.  So I believe we have to pursue a different bad pixel strategy.  I guess I'll go at it again.  I tried some Python stuff, but image libraries for Python have issues (PIL and PILLOW).  So will probably do something in .NET.  I really don't want to do this hard-core (for me) development.   

BTW, my strategy is to create .BAT files that extract the DNG files from the RAW or MLV file, create TIFFs, fix dot issues (or other things), then create a close-to-DNG/TIFF quality video using ffmpeg.  I've had some success creating H.264 videos with a 422 color space.  Then there is prores.  Cineform 422 is nice, if anyone knows how to create those with TIFFs let me know.  Anyway, I think I can ultimately convert the RAW files into quality clips good enough for me. 

Fast processing, audio issues, the dots, more shooting experiments, etc., are more important to me than color grading.

That's my latest.

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on September 17, 2013, 05:23:51 AM
Gary,

so I'm not completely following. I don't really understand what card before ML means or the significance of that. Is that the card that does not illicit a bug. Does it have ML on it now? Did you run the EOSCard utility on it at any point?

In EOSCard, can you try to press alt+f on the card to do a format, then place ml back on it and see if the shutter bug is there.

As for DM logs. I cannot find your posted DM log in your post history, but i see lots of smileys. Kind of scary. I remember that malakai and I had a SW1 call that you did not. this is why I was confused. Your log, if i recall, did not have any shutter logged.

If you are able to use ML with the bug then use your card fix and use ML without the bug, please post your dm logs.

thanks

1%, i could automate nightlies easily. i have a problem right now where i have to disable mlv_rec in order to build the zip package. is there any way you could include that lzma folder for mlv_rec to compile for us?

jerry

edit: to clarify DM.logs before and after your reliable fix with several shutter presses. thanks again
Jerry,
"I don't really understand what card before ML" I meant the cards before I installed any ML on them when I first got my camera two months ago.

I will try and explain the cards. The other things I will try as soon as my 126Gb card finishes the long windows format (not the quick format)

I have two cards I bought two months ago when I bought my camera with only the 22mm lens. I got a 32 gb card and a 128 gb card. The 128 gb writes at 60 and reads at 90. The 32 gb writes at 15 and reads at 30. I then got into ML soo9n after that and I had a problem with getting the 128 gb to work and someone on here said to use EOScard and then it did work.

I bought the 18-55 lens with IS maybe three or two weeks ago and that is when I became aware of the shutter bug. I was using both cards back then with ML and doing all the updates until the latest as of now.

I tried to go clean back tojust Canon about a week ago by deleting all the ML files the proper way with using Canon format and tapping the screen to select "delete the ML files". I also formatted both cards trying to get them completely clean. The 32 gb card did get clean and it now does work without the bug and it has no ML installed anywhere  on it that I know of. The 128 gb card appears to still have the bug even though I tried many many times to format it to clean it. Even your suggestion of doing eoscard again did not work. I will try what you just suggested again about eoscard using alt F.

You are right about the dm logs and the sw1 calls. I am afraid to install ML now on the 32 gb card since it is working. so i can't do a DM log with it since ML is not on it. If it is really important, then tell me and I will try it again and hopefully be able to recover from ML on it if needed. I think you may also be correct about eoscard. I have installed eoscard a few times during this whole ML journey.  eoscard is the difference between my 32 and 128 cards. the 32 never needed eoscard.

I tried mlv and 1% said it was not worth it and suggested I uninstall the mlv module. I do not understand what you mean when you said  include that lzma folder for mlv_rec to compile for us?
what is the lzma folder?

ok, i will now try to do what you have asked and get back. Thanx for all your help on this. I do feel we are close.

gary

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on September 17, 2013, 05:25:07 AM
Fast processing, audio issues, the dots, more shooting experiments, etc., are more important to me than color grading.
That's my latest.

you will always have to do some sort of grade when shooting raw cus the image from raw is noisy and very flat looking when shot correctly. It needs some tweaks as well as the PDR.

Gary