Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canon eos m

Quote from: Dark-Master on August 06, 2013, 05:44:48 PM
Is there any solution to get rid of the dots in RAW video yet?

I tried "PinkDotRemover_2013_07_15.zip" with the DNGs. But it doesn't seem to work. I'm not sure if I did something wrong.

I had the same experience. Googled and found the 2013-07-15 version of PDR but does not seem to work. It goes through the routine pretty smoothly but does not seem to remove the dots.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

feureau

Quote from: haomuch on August 06, 2013, 05:36:49 PM
BTW, still wondering is it possible to disable the touch screen after it was turned off and only turn it on by hard keys. It could help avoid unintended touch between body and screen when hanging the camera on the neck.

This is really strange behavior. My EOS-M doesn't turn on when I touch it after it's turned off...

Check your power saving options. I suspect your LCD auto off is faster than your camera auto off. I usually set them to  the same value.

millernet

Quote from: haomuch on August 06, 2013, 05:29:14 PM
Focus peaking is very good. But the magic zoom still need to be improved....

...it's 1 million times better than the stock firmware already. Thank you 1%!

haomuch

Quote from: feureau on August 06, 2013, 06:21:55 PM
This is really strange behavior. My EOS-M doesn't turn on when I touch it after it's turned off...

Check your power saving options. I suspect your LCD auto off is faster than your camera auto off. I usually set them to  the same value.

Well I Tried to set both of them auto off after 30 sec. But the screen still turn on after it was touched.......

wuxiekeji

Quote from: millernet on August 06, 2013, 06:26:07 PM
...it's 1 million times better than the stock firmware already. Thank you 1%!

Is there any reason by the way that the magic zoom (at least on 60D) seems to only zoom in the LCD screen resolution image and not the actual high-res 5X or 10X image that you get when you use the stock firmware zoom?

I wish I could get the stock firmware 5X but in a magic zoom box that I can move around.

mixer2

@Dark-Master & Canon eos m:
about pink dot removal:
do you use "Movie crop mode"? there isn't dot removal data for non crop mode at the moment. since non crop mode videos do have totally useless quality. if anyone really want to use non crop mode raw video i can add the dot removal data for it.
Just send me a dng that doesn't work and i'll check what's going wrong.

Dark-Master

Quote from: Canon eos m on August 06, 2013, 05:51:33 PM
I had the same experience. Googled and found the 2013-07-15 version of PDR but does not seem to work. It goes through the routine pretty smoothly but does not seem to remove the dots.

Same here.

The application seems to be working fine. And it did converted all my files. But the dots are still there.  :o

mixer2

@Dark-Master:
please read the post just above your last post.

feureau

Quote from: haomuch on August 06, 2013, 06:27:51 PM
Well I Tried to set both of them auto off after 30 sec. But the screen still turn on after it was touched.......

My bad. Set the turn camera off to 0 Sec.

haomuch

Quote from: feureau on August 06, 2013, 08:50:01 PM
My bad. Set the turn camera off to 0 Sec.

Sorry I didn't get your point as I know the minimum auto turn LCD off time is 5 second.

feureau

Quote from: haomuch on August 06, 2013, 08:59:33 PM
Sorry I didn't get your point as I know the minimum auto turn LCD off time is 5 second.

What version is your firmware? I'm on 2.0.2

I see two power saving options:

LCD Auto Off: With minimum setting 15 sec.

and Camera auto off: With minimum setting at 0 Sec.  < After turning off LCD, this is how long the camera waits until it turns itself off.

TL;DR - RTFM

haomuch

Quote from: feureau on August 06, 2013, 09:42:32 PM
What version is your firmware? I'm on 2.0.2

I see two power saving options:

LCD Auto Off: With minimum setting 15 sec.

and Camera auto off: With minimum setting at 0 Sec.  < After turning off LCD, this is how long the camera waits until it turns itself off.

TL;DR - RTFM

I understand what you mean. But what I want is not auto turn off the whole camera but just the LCD and sensor, and disable the touch screen afterwards. Currently the touch screen still work after the screen off. That's why I suggest this function.

BTW is there actually any difference between the camera auto turn off LCD and the ML auto turn off LCD? Does the former also turn off the sensor?

feureau

@1% when using movie crop mode, at 24p settings, when I go to movie rec size it says it's shooting at 30p but the ML LV display on the upper corner says it's 23.976, the recorded movie also says 23.976, but I'm not sure if it is, because you  know, 24p and 30p don't look that much different. Maybe there's a bug or something in there?

Drizzt321

Quote from: Indianac on August 06, 2013, 04:46:34 PM
I didn't see a zip file in the bitbucket. Am I missing somthing?

There are 3 files to download from this thread (plus the EOSCard app).

[EOSM202] (need to rename to have .zip extension): https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5BEOSM202%5D%20FirstVersion-NoInstaller.zip
UpDaterM.fir: http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=NzBmhwaBK
magiclantern-EOSM.106.Alpha1.zip: http://bit.ly/UP7Avg

So, here are the steps that I took, a slight modification along with correct links on Canon eos m instructions.

1. First soft format your SD card on your computer.
2. Then format the card on your EOS M. This will create the 'DCIM' and 'MISC' folders on the SD card.
3. Next download files from the bitbucket.org link (https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5BEOSM202%5D%20FirstVersion-NoInstaller.zip) provided by 1% above on to your harddisk. Unzip the files and copy directly to your SD card.
4. Next copy the updaterM202.fir (link on page 33 of this thread) UpDaterM.fir (http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=NzBmhwaBK) on your SD card.
5. Open the EOSCard link from the installation section of the 5DMarkIII home page.
6. With the SD card in the card reader open the EOSCard utility.
7. Once in the EOSCard interface checkmark the 'EOS_Develop' and Bootdisk and press the big 'ML' icon and then press the 'save' icon on the top left of the EOSCard interface.
8. Then copy the ML directory from the Alpha 1 (http://bit.ly/UP7Avg) version (you can find this on the EOS M home page). Unzip and copy the 'ML' folder on the SD card. Then transfer the 'Modules' files that you got from the bitbucket.
9. Make sure not to use the autoexe.bin file from Alpha 1 but autoexe.bin file you got the bitbucket.org link. (step 3)

Indianac

Awesome Drizzt321!  I was just rereading through the thread and about to try to answer my own question, so you've saved me some time. Now onto the tests.

1%

QuoteMaybe there's a bug or something in there?

Yep, in canon code. This camera really likes 30P. Maybe in the future I can cache hack the normal 24p while recording over that stupid 720P30.

Also should note:
had boot flag -> just load autoexec.bin and alpha1 or nightly support files

no boot flag before: probably only loads the bin burned into the fir file.

Drizzt321

Quote from: Indianac on August 07, 2013, 12:41:11 AM
Awesome Drizzt321!  I was just rereading through the thread and about to try to answer my own question, so you've saved me some time. Now onto the tests.

You're welcome :) 

markr041

OK, I installed ML no problem.

I turned on GlobalView: Live View. Set zebras on and histogram on. But I do not see them on the screen.

I turned on REC/Standby for video: I do not see them on the screen. Again, no ML overlays at all.

What is working (for me):

In video, I can up the bitrate - got it up to 63 Mbps.

I got the log working. But, no report of ISO (just = 0). It does report time, shutter speed, focus distance (I moved that around to check), and aperture. Why no ISO?

There is no audio in video mode. Will this be fixed?

I understand there are limitations, but let's fix the overlay issue (which may be me, but I can follow instructions and they should show as far as I can tell).

I of course appreciate very much the work that went into this and the supposed feature set, so these are not complaints, just questions.

Canon eos m

Quote from: Drizzt321 on August 07, 2013, 12:14:04 AM
There are 3 files to download from this thread (plus the EOSCard app).

Thanks for posting the workflow with links ;D
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Canon eos m

Quote from: Drizzt321 on August 07, 2013, 12:14:04 AM

4. Next copy the updaterM202.fir (link on page 33 of this thread) UpDaterM.fir (http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=NzBmhwaBK) on your SD card.

Question: Is the updater.fir a newer version than the updaterm202.fir?

1%

One is a normal autoexec.bin signed, the other is supposed to be the installer(40KB).

Indianac

Darn, followed the instructions and got further but I'm getting a "missing symbol file b:/ML/Modules" error right after the firmware update screen pops up.  I checked and I have the EOSM_202.sym in the folder. What am I doing wrong here?

note: I was on a out of box 2.02, not upgraded. Did I jump the gun?

Dark-Master

Quote from: mixer2 on August 06, 2013, 08:05:37 PM
@Dark-Master:
please read the post just above your last post.

Sorry, I missed the post.

I used 1472x500.
Is what you mean by crop mode the big white rectangle? I always record with white rectangle on.

Thank you.

daduke

Quote from: Indianac on August 07, 2013, 06:57:32 AM
Darn, followed the instructions and got further but I'm getting a "missing symbol file b:/ML/Modules" error right after the firmware update screen pops up.  I checked and I have the EOSM_202.sym in the folder. What am I doing wrong here?
I had this problem too: you need to copy the modules directory into the ML directory, not on the root level.

-Christian