Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Quote from: feureau on August 05, 2013, 08:48:11 AM
I figured this is the mark for framing the raw_rec. Is there a way to disable this without having to turn off and turn on the camera with the raw_rec unloaded?

Huh? it should turn off as soon as you turn off raw video from movie menu. At least with my version of raw_rec (try the one from 5D3)

feureau

Quote from: a1ex on August 05, 2013, 10:20:57 AM
Huh? it should turn off as soon as you turn off raw video from movie menu. At least with my version of raw_rec (try the one from 5D3)

My bad. It's gone if you turn off raw video.

Thanks for this. :D

Stedda

Thanks a lot for all your hard work!

Now all 3 cameras run ML!  8)
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

haomuch

I managed boot the camera with the 2.0 ML but has the same problem after reboot. I have to update the firmware again to make it work. However the good news is that my eye-fi card works again! At least now we can play with the new ML for some time. Thanks very much and we are waiting for a stable update.

1%

That looks like the raw box + the multi zone box together.

feureau

Yeah, and it turns out the raw box goes away when the raw is turned off. LOL :D My bad.. Thanks anyway.

btw, the screen error thingy. Sometimes it's purple, tt's green this time:

>http://youtu.be/0EOs11y1Uvk

I'm not sure how to reproduce this. It seems to happen randomly, and sometimes the liveview will stay purple.

The RAW came out okay though:

>http://www.mediafire.com/?12i1csw2juw9q8i

haomuch

Er, seems I was happy too early. The eyefi card doesn't work again after some time use. I found that the 5d3 ml actually works with eyefi card now. Can we also get that feature?

gamerblot

Intervalometer doesn't seem to work. It just freezes when it tries to take the first pic and the camera is also frozen so you have to take battery out to reset.
Canon 5D Mark II, 2 x Canon 60D, Canon 1Ds Mark II, Canon EOS M, Canon 16-35mm F2.8, Canon 17-40mm F4.0, Canon 24-70mm F2.8, Canon 24mm F1.4, Sigma 50mm F1.4, Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS, Canon EF-M 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6, ACR 8.1, Photoshop CC, Premier Pro CC, After Effects CC, Mac OS X

gamerblot

Auto Bracketing doesn't seem to work either. Seems like anything that uses ML to trigger the shutter or am I doing something wrong?

On the good side. RAW Video seems to work pretty good though works best at lower res (1472x500 continuous, 1536x522 526 frames). I'm getting 36.7 MB/s on Sandisk Extreme 64GB. Wohoo!

Camera does get a little hot doing RAW Video though.
Canon 5D Mark II, 2 x Canon 60D, Canon 1Ds Mark II, Canon EOS M, Canon 16-35mm F2.8, Canon 17-40mm F4.0, Canon 24-70mm F2.8, Canon 24mm F1.4, Sigma 50mm F1.4, Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS, Canon EF-M 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6, ACR 8.1, Photoshop CC, Premier Pro CC, After Effects CC, Mac OS X

gamerblot

Quote from: gary2013 on August 05, 2013, 10:00:08 PM
gamerblot,
can you help me? I just posted here a request for help to do raw video on t5he M. I have a Komputerbay 128GB SDXC Secure Digital Extended Capacity Speed Class 10 600X UHS-I Ultra High Speed Flash Memory Card 60MB/s Write 90MB/s Read 128 GB. will this card work with our M ML we have here now? I have not tried using this card yet cus I thought we needed a 32gb card to boot ML.

hey gary2013,

What I found with the SDXC cards in general is that they don't work out of the box and formatted directly in camera. You have to use the EOSCard utility to write the MBR so that they can be properly read by the camera. I don't have your particular KomputerBay 128GB SDXC (though I have a 128GB CF or my 5DM2) so I can't say but you can try to format to run EOSCard. Format it first on your computer, then format it in the camera to get the DCIM/MISC folders, then run EOSCard clicking EOS_DEVELOP, BOOTDISK and the big ML button, then click Save. Then load up the ML files onto the card and try. It worked for my Sandisk Extreme 64GB.

1%

Ok, will check full shutter press consts, etc. Possible that its wrong.

Well.. its all working here on a normally booted camera :(

This means that loading it like the alpha is causing issues.

As for raw, with a normally booting camera it should work with the 128gb. Try the "alpha" style boot and see what happens. BTW, shoot in photo mode JPG with multi shot NR to get the most free buffer.

I guess everything hinges on getting the bootflag updater to work correctly.

gamerblot

Quote from: gary2013 on August 05, 2013, 10:42:06 PM
gamer, i understand. but what do i do after that to record raw? what menus and settings do I use? As far as my card, I think what is important is the write speed and mine shows it has 60 MB/s and I think the other people with 5DM3 were saying they needed 90MB/s. I just want to see if it works on the M. I was returning this card and maybe getting a 90Mb/s card if the M can record Raw.

Make sure you have the raw_rec.mo module in your /ML/MODULES folder. Turn on your camera, Firmware Update to load ML. Turn your M to Video mode, click Load Modules in ML Config Menu, now go to the ML Video menu, find RAW Video at the bottom of the menu and tap it on the touchscreen. Options will appear such as Resolution, Aspect Ratio. Change it to the setting you want. Hit the Shutter to go back to Live View. You will see a white letterbox indicating the shooting window that you selected with your Resolution and Aspect Ratio settings. Hit the MENU button to record and again to stop. If the buffer fills up, then it will stop automatically.

I found that the max EOS-M goes is 36.7Mb/s regardless of how fast your SD card is so the Komputerbay 90MB/s is overkill on this camera and probably for all SD-based EOS cameras. This is because the SD read speed on the EOS-M probably maxes out there. It's still better than the 60D where I was only getting about 20Mb/s which meant shooting at even lower resolutions to get enough usable footage. Only the CF-capable EOS are getting better throughputs. That's why 5DM3 is so great and 5DM2, 50D and 7Ds are getting more attention in terms of RAW video.

I honestly want to use the EOS-M for timelapse only, and not RAW video, as it is so cheap, I can throw a few of them everywhere to get different timelapse perspectives or settings of the same scene. There so light you can throw a few of them in the bag compared to a full size DSLR and they have the same sensor as the 7D/60D. But had to try the RAW video out on this cheap bad boy and it does work if you need it in a pinch.

thegunshow101

ML RAW Rec on 2.02.. quick on the run findings

1728x522 - continuous
1728x564 - 2000+ frames (ends unexpectedly though and once dumped out of ML.. best to use mode that's continuous for stability)

Nice but very unstable though, lots of battery pulls.. half shutter press to focus during raw freezes camera.. as do so many other things. If you use it in movie mode you can focus with screen presses

(sandisk 32gb extreme pro card)

1%

Yep, I can confirm the .fir version is about as stable as a 70yo crackhead.

Intervalometer freezes... for me modules don't even load. And no its not flashing your firmware every time, just hijacking the fw update code (like an xbox dashboard exploit, etc). Maybe its worse going from boot flagged autoexec.bin -> hijacked fir but from what you guys are saying doesn't sound like it.

neoyoli

Dear Developers,

It's an awesome initiative, I'm eager to try it especially because of the flawed stock firmware.
A couple of things that would be supernice to have, if they are possible:

- faster AF (without any steering)
- remap buttons (especially the rec button in photo mode)
- menu options (for delete, rotate, etc.) on tapping the screen during playback (like on Android)
- zoom with smaller increments (it zooms almost in the middle of the image right away)
- smoother slide animation when swiping through images
- direct MF, not just after AF lock

Thank you for your hard work, this will be irreplaceable.

handbanana

I get 1600x410 2.35 @ 24fps running continuously with the hacks on.

Edit: Mine came with 2.0.2 installed

1%

Quoteremap buttons (especially the rec button in photo mode)

The rec button doesn't produce any events in photo mode, fuckers turned it off.. hence the raw module lets you change it to menu.

The touch stuff has to be implemented in general. A prime target is the junkie menu since its all buttons.

Canon eos m

Quote from: Canon eos m on August 05, 2013, 09:33:57 AM
I finally managed to get ML running on my EOS M 2.0.2.

Took me a few tries but figured it out. Still has issues but is very useable.

Workflow:

First soft format your SD card on your computer.
Then format the card on your EOS M. This will create the 'DCIM' and 'MISC' folders on the SD card.
Next download files from the bitbucket.org link provided by 1% above on to your harddisk. Unzip the files and copy directly to your SD card.
Next copy the updaterM202.fir (link on page 33 of this thread) on your SD card.
Open the EOSCard link from the installation section of the 5DMarkIII home page.
With the SD card in the card reader open the EOSCard utility.
Once in the EOSCard interface checkmark the 'EOS_Develop' and Bootdisk and press the big 'ML' icon and then press the 'save' icon on the top left of the EOSCard interface.
Then copy the ML directory from the Alpha 1 version (you can find this on the EOS M home page). Unzip and copy the 'ML' folder on the SD card. Then transfer the 'Modules' files that you got from the bitbucket.org link (above) and copy it into the ML folder that you got from Alpha 1. Make sure not to use the autoexe.bin file from Alpha 1 but autoexe.bin file you got the bitbucket.org link. 

Place the card in the EOS M and it should be ready to rock.

Just for the record the combo is running stable on my EOSM - intervalometer and all that. Will try video raw on photo mode today.

1% you really are a superhero. The Canon guys need to take a lesson or two from A1ex, you and other ML developers. Thank you for all the GOOD work.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

gamerblot

Quote from: gary2013 on August 05, 2013, 10:42:06 PM
gamer, i understand. but what do i do after that to record raw? what menus and settings do I use? As far as my card, I think what is important is the write speed and mine shows it has 60 MB/s and I think the other people with 5DM3 were saying they needed 90MB/s. I just want to see if it works on the M. I was returning this card and maybe getting a 90Mb/s card if the M can record Raw.

Get it here:

http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=NzBmhwaBK

Copy the MODULE directory into the ML directory of the Alpha 1.06 build and copy AUTOEXEC.BIN over the Alpha 1.06 version in the main directory.

haomuch

Quote from: Canon eos m on August 06, 2013, 03:39:45 AM
Just for the record the combo is running stable on my EOSM - intervalometer and all that. Will try video raw on photo mode today.

1% you really are a superhero. The Canon guys need to take a lesson or two from A1ex, you and other ML developers. Thank you for all the GOOD work.

Can you make it work after reboot without reflash?

1%

That's the way to go. 650D just worked.So i dunno why this doesn't.

when I make installer it makes an autoexec.bin.. trying this bin; it boots with a solid light.. so the installer boot process isn't working?