Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyEngelken

@gary2013 - I wish I could jump in and help out with the project, but alas, I don't know C. @maxotics - Don't get me wrong about RAW; I am looking forward to using it in production when I can, but for now I'm pretty happy with h264 results using ML.

maxotics

@Anthony, I went out and shot some RAW on my 50D.  Come home, it's now in the .MLV format.  Brilliant work by the Magic Lantern team, I'm sure.  But now what am I supposed to do with it?  The processing software is not really ready yet.  All this to say I wouldn't try to push anyone into RAW.  You want to be well-rested ;)  Also, if I could get a flatter picture using H.264 I would maybe you or someone else can tell me how.  That would be great.  So far, everything in the shadows goes to black for me.  In what software?   I'm on a PC and use Vegas Studio (the cheap version)

AnthonyEngelken

Quote from: gary2013 on September 03, 2013, 01:20:28 AMtry different profiles like Cinestyle or Flaat

^this

@maxotics - I love love love Technicolor's CineStyle PP; shadows and highlights stay very useable in most situations. Compared to Neutral, it's actually quite difficult to bake all the detail out of your shadows.

1%

Creative filters still working, even with modules loaded.... I dunno what else can be done with H264 in terms of size, if something is figured out sure. Its NOT simple to change the LV size... each one is its own mode.

jerrykil

I hate to bother the devs with my trivial problems but I'm so excited to try dualiso that i had to post :P. I have the module working but im on a mac and the build of cr2hdr that i compiled from the ML source isn't working. I know 1% posted a windows binary, so I pulled it up in my wine, however, the dcraw 9.19 isn't running under wine. Is there a trick to compiling it correctly? Am I using the wrong source?

You guys rock

Edit: tried building form TL-6D tree, too. same error...

Edit: so i got it a dcraw.exe 9.19 (http://www.centrostudiprogressofotografico.it/en/dcraw/) working in wine, but i still get the same error as i would running the native built one: Interlacing method not supported

AnthonyEngelken

Quote from: 1% on September 03, 2013, 02:21:02 AMI dunno what else can be done with H264 in terms of size, if something is figured out sure. Its NOT simple to change the LV size... each one is its own mode.

That's sort of what I figured after finding this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2758.0

Movie Crop Mode's LV when capturing in h264 appears to represent the full 1920x1080 area of the resulting video, however. Canon's choice, or was that a ML effort?

1%

I think crop mode is less skips, it was canon's choice.. hence no 6D/5DIII (doesn't have the crop stuff).

Maybe something can be done with ADTG/CMOS but the jury is still out.

eosm1986

I've tried to find some answers here, but am having trouble.  Hopefully I'm not out of place asking this question.  I am not really all that into the shooting of the RAW video, but am mainly looking to put ML on my EOS-M for the live histogram and focus peaking features. 

Questions:
1.  There seems to be some conflicts about whether or not you can automatically load ML on bootup, or if you have to flash every time you use it.  I know an older version was flash on every use, but any new ones where that isn't the case?
2.  If there is a "new" version, is it really risky to install?  It almost seems like we're flashing firmware designed for a Sony onto the EOS-M.  Maybe I'm just not understanding?

Thanks for everyone's amazing efforts here, and again, pardon my ignorance.

jerrykil

Quote from: eosm1986 on September 03, 2013, 04:28:27 AM
Questions:
1.  There seems to be some conflicts about whether or not you can automatically load ML on bootup, or if you have to flash every time you use it.  I know an older version was flash on every use, but any new ones where that isn't the case?
2.  If there is a "new" version, is it really risky to install?  It almost seems like we're flashing firmware designed for a Sony onto the EOS-M.  Maybe I'm just not understanding?

Thanks for everyone's amazing efforts here, and again, pardon my ignorance.
1. 1% just posted a new version that does not require flashing i.e. the bootflag works: FullbackADTGui.zip"]https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/[EOSM]FullbackADTGui.zip
You have to set up your card to with with ML. Use EOSCard or MacBoot: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install

2. It's risky because its Alpha, but i have not had any problems. I do have to pull battery out whenever it stalls just in case it may overheat. Otherwise it seem relatively stable considering its Alpha.

From what I understand there is nothing Sony about this. Correct me if i'm wrong. If anything the new dual_iso module is something Nikon does.

eosm1986

Quote from: jerrykil on September 03, 2013, 04:45:36 AM
1. 1% just posted a new version that does not require flashing i.e. the bootflag works: FullbackADTGui.zip]https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/[EOSM]FullbackADTGui.zip
You have to set up your card to with with ML. Use EOSCard or MacBoot: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified/Install

2. It's risky because its Alpha, but i have not had any problems. I do have to pull battery out whenever it stalls just in case it may overheat. Otherwise it seem relatively stable considering its Alpha.

From what I understand there is nothing Sony about this. Correct me if i'm wrong. If anything the new dual_iso module is something Nikon does.

Wow!  That was quick.  Thank-you!  I have a 8GB SD card, but when I pull up EOSCard with the files on it, it throws the errors FAT32 VBR failed.  Anyone see this before?  Looks like a few people have seen it before, but no definitive answers.  I've tried multiple times, without effect. 

jerrykil

I haven't had this problem since i'm on a mac so the other threads might be more helpful. My hunch is that you haven't done a low level format through your EOS M.

eosm1986

Quote from: jerrykil on September 03, 2013, 05:01:52 AM
I haven't had this problem since i'm on a mac so the other threads might be more helpful. My hunch is that you haven't done a low level format through your EOS M.

Hmm - very strange.  No, I just tried a "non-quick" format on my PC followed by a low-level one of the EOS M.  No change.  Boy, after reading about this ML, I'm really excited to use it - if I can get this SD card working. 

1%

It shuts down LV when it connects to the computer. I think its missing the functions to pass lv over USB. I can try PTP to just send it commands.

eosm1986

Quote from: gary2013 on September 03, 2013, 05:52:56 AM
Make sure your battery has a good/full charge, and make sure your camera is set to the M (manual) mode for pictures. Then go to the Canon menu option for firmware version which is the last yellow tab on the right. BUT, before all of that, make sure you prep your card in the ways listed, each step in order. It's talked about on here many times. I don't remember the exact reply number. Doesn't hurt to read through the messages on here. You can learn a lot. Maybe even start around page 30 or so and you will find the list of steps.

Gary
Edit= here is a start, page 34, Reply #840

Thanks for everyone's help.  Got it working, but just by copying the files to the card and updating the firmware.  I never was able to make the card truly bootable with EOSCard - just wouldn't recognize the VBR on the SD card.  Hopefully that helps someone.

pizmon

I am new to this forum, very impressed and thankful for your hard work  I loaded successfully the ML however I have two issues, one, no matter what i do I end up with 29.97 f/s even-though I selected 24 f/s frame rate override and second issue,  in crop mode I get 23.97 f/s however image has pinks fine dots all over the place (dot remover doesn't remove them) Am I doing something wrong I am especially disappointed by the frame rate why i can get 24p in raw.  When I do playback (export from after effects) footage seems slightly fast motion

pinghua

Do you have trouble with intervalometer with exposure ramping?  I am having trouble getting it to work.  I can set values, but it will say 0 picture taken when it counts down to take photos. 

Malakai

@1%

Were those logs any use for the 18-55 shutter bug?

Thanks
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

1%

QuoteWere those logs any use for the 18-55 shutter bug?

I looked and still can't find anything that's actually an error. I dunno whats up with just this particular lens.

1%

Yea, I looked over both, maybe some canon task gets stuck and restarts? Really strange problem.